Re: [jacksongenealogy] Kind of a off topic - The Sentinel's new obit policy

  • Tracy Lynn Wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2000
      I think it's absolutely ridiculous! My mother recently passed away, so this
      really hits home. Although she never lived in Jax Co, two of her children,
      a grandchild, many ex-inlaws & several friends, who all loved her dearly, do
      reside here. I called the paper to see about putting a death notice in the
      paper, & was informed that there would be a "charge for the space". The
      Sentinel will run a funeral notice - info from the funeral home stating the
      name of the deceased; date of death; where the deceased was from; and time,
      date, place of, & who's officiating the funeral - for free. Sounds like
      free advertising for the funeral homes...

      I just informed the Sentinel that I'm sticking with the Huntsville Times, &
      that I've passed the Sentinel's obit policy (along with several other
      policies) on to everyone I know. At least 4 friends have already cancelled
      their subscriptions with the Sentinel. Jeez, with the HT you even get the
      obits & classified ads online!

      sorry for the off-topic mini-rant... :-)

      Tracy