Bradfords or Mackeys (sp?)

  • mucsnarb
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 14, 2005
      Looking for any information on the Bradfords or the Mackeys in
      Jackson County, AL. My grandfather was Hal Bradford, married to Lula
      Bell Mackey. They were both born in the late 1890's. The spelling on
      her last name may not be correct, could be Mackin, McKee. Her father
      was a Mackey.

      My mom grew up there, and went high school there, but then they moved
      to Huntland, TN, where she graduated.

      I had an uncle, Jack, who lived in Hollywood, AL, until his death, I
      believe in the late 1980's.

      A few years ago, I found a cemetary listing for an Andrew Mackey,
      again not clear on the spelling, and his wife. I can't find it now,
      and unfortunately I can't remember her name.

      Any help, or leads, would be appreciated.
    • Regina
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 14, 2005
        What was your Uncle Jack's last name? Do you know any brother or sisters of
        either last name. Was Hal short for Howard etc.? What school did your
        Mother go to and what years?

        Looking for any information on the Bradfords or the Mackeys in Jackson
        County, AL. My grandfather was Hal Bradford, married to Lula Bell Mackey.
        They were both born in the late 1890's. The spelling on her last name may
        not be correct, could be Mackin, McKee. Her father was a Mackey.

        My mom grew up there, and went high school there, but then they moved to
        Huntland, TN, where she graduated.

        I had an uncle, Jack, who lived in Hollywood, AL, until his death, I believe
        in the late 1980's.

        A few years ago, I found a cemetary listing for an Andrew Mackey, again not
        clear on the spelling, and his wife. I can't find it now, and unfortunately
        I can't remember her name.

        Any help, or leads, would be appreciated.

        ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Take
        a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for anyone who
        cares about public education!
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/o5B0yD/8WnJAA/a8ILAA/FvNolB/TM
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 14, 2005
          Hal Bradford's parents were Alex K. Bradford b.
          Aug 1866 TX and Elizabeth Ledbetter b. Mar 1875
          AL
          AL Marriages: A.K. Bradford m. Lizzie Ledbetter
          03 Aug 1887.

          I will email you direct the 1900,1910,1920,1930
          census images for them.

          Clay
        • cy2allthat
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 14, 2005
            Lula Bell's father was William Andrew Jackson Mackin, born October
            24, 1873 in Alabama; died March 21, 1949 in Jackson County,
            Alabama. Her mother was Jayla Brooks Mackin, born January 13, 1882
            in Jackson County, Alabama; died May 13, 1911 in Jackson County.
            They are buried in Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery in
            Jackson County, Alabama. William Andrew Jackson Mackin was my great
            grandmother's brother. She was Elizabeth Mackin married to James
            William McCarver. I have a copy of both William and Elizabeth's
            death certificates that state their parents as William & Mary Baker
            Mackin. William and Elizabeth's father is also listed as Hiram on
            the 1880 census in Jackson County, Alabama. According to my
            grandmother's death certificate her father was born in Tennessee.
            Which of Lula's children are you descended from?

            --- In

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 15, 2005
              My mom was Nina Joyce Bradford, she was the youngest of Hal and Lula's, b. 1937. She passed in 1993.

              Do you still live in Jackson County? I'm up in D.C., but my sister lives in Cowan, TN, not too far from Jackson county.

              Do the Mackins ever have family reunions? I knew nothing about them before this tidbit of information. One of my other cousins couldn't get passed Andrew, she thought he was directly from Ireland, and Jayla, who she thought was Cherokee, or part anyways.

              I was hoping for some good information when I finally found this group. Thank you very much for the information, cousin.;)

            • Janet Morris
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 17, 2005
                My father moved from Jackson County to Franklin County, TN, when he was a child in the early 1940's. I lived in Winchester, TN (not far from Cowan) before moving to Manchester, TN.

                As far as I know there haven't been any Mackin reunions. Up until last year I thought my great grandmother Elizabeth's maiden name was Mackey. Which cousin are you refering to? I have communicated with another descendant of Hal & Lula Bradford. It was one of Evelyn's children.

                I would love to find photos of our Mackin family members. I still have not found one of my great grandmother Elizabeth. Since I started my genealogy search, I have wondered what she looked like.

                Janet

                mucsnarb <mucsnarb@...> wrote:

                My mom was Nina Joyce Bradford, she was the youngest of Hal and Lula's, b. 1937. She passed in 1993.

                Do you still live in Jackson County? I'm up in D.C., but my sister lives in Cowan, TN, not too far from Jackson county.

                Do the Mackins ever have family reunions? I knew nothing about them before this tidbit of information. One of my other cousins couldn't get passed Andrew, she thought he was directly from Ireland, and Jayla, who she thought was Cherokee, or part anyways.

                I was hoping for some good information when I finally found this group. Thank you very much for the information, cousin.;)

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 18, 2005
                  Don't some of that family spell it Machen now?

                  > From: Janet Morris <cy2allthat@...>
                  > Date: 2005/03/18 Fri AM 12:29:37 GMT
                  > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Bradfords or Mackeys (sp?)

                • purplecraze40
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 21, 2007
                    My GrGr Grandfather was Henry C Bradford he married Mollie
                    Ledbetter? I think. I have hit a brick wall with Henry C Bradford.
                    My GrGrandfather was Napolean Bradford and my Grandfather Napolean
                    Jr. I hope there is someone that can help me with Henry. Henry and
                    Mollie and Nip and Myrtle are all buried at Old Baptist in
                    Hollywood. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Regina

                    Also Nip had a brother named Henry. I think Henry C had a brother
                    named Alexander K Bradford.

                    --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, clay gullatt
                    <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                    > Hal Bradford's parents were Alex K. Bradford b.
                    > Aug 1866 TX and Elizabeth Ledbetter b. Mar 1875
                    > AL
                    > AL Marriages: A.K. Bradford m. Lizzie Ledbetter
                    > 03 Aug 1887.
                    >
                    > I will email you direct the 1900,1910,1920,1930
                    > census images for them.
                    >
                    > Clay

                  • David Bradford
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 21, 2007
                      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "purplecraze40"
                      <purplecraze38@...> wrote:

                      > My GrGr Grandfather was Henry C Bradford he married Mollie
                      > Ledbetter? I think. I have hit a brick wall with Henry C Bradford.
                      > My GrGrandfather was Napolean Bradford and my Grandfather Napolean
                      > Jr. I hope there is someone that can help me with Henry. Henry and
                      > Mollie and Nip and Myrtle are all buried at Old Baptist in
                      > Hollywood. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Regina
                      >
                      > Also Nip had a brother named Henry. I think Henry C had a brother
                      > named Alexander K Bradford.

                      Henry Bradford was the oldest son of Alexander Keith Bradford. Sr.
                      who settled in Jackson County immediately after the Civil War. He
                      was born in 1855 (although his headstone erroneously states 1858) in
                      Dandridge Tennesse. AK Sr. was born and raised in Dandridge where
                      his father, James, and his mother, Catherine Keith, had settled in
                      the late 1700's. From there I can get you back to Adam. Drop me
                      email at dbradford@... and I'll send you documents and URLs
                      that will fill in all your gaps.
                    • purplecraze38@charter.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 22, 2007
                        Clay, Henry C was born around 1855 in Tennessee and died in 1924 and is buried at Old Baptist in Hollywood. He married a Mollie my Great Aunt said her last name was Ledbetter. I can get past him. Thanks, Regina

                      • purplecraze38@charter.net
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 22, 2007
                          David, Is this Henry Bradford buried in Dandridge Tennessee? My Henry is buried here in Jackson County at the Old Baptist Cemetery in Hollywood. His tombstone says 1855-1924. He married a Mollie. That is the only thing I know for sure. The rest I am so confused about. I hope you can help me. I thought that Alexander Keith was his dad but then I couldn't be for sure. So the name Keith was from the Grandmother's maiden name, that is so cool! I would love for you to send me what you have and if there is anything I can do to help you I will, Thanks for all of your help, Regina

                          ---- David Bradford <dbradford@...> wrote:
                          > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "purplecraze40"
                          > <purplecraze38@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > My GrGr Grandfather was Henry C Bradford he married Mollie
                          > > Ledbetter? I think. I have hit a brick wall with Henry C Bradford.
                          > > My GrGrandfather was Napolean Bradford and my Grandfather Napolean
                          > > Jr. I hope there is someone that can help me with Henry. Henry and
                          > > Mollie and Nip and Myrtle are all buried at Old Baptist in
                          > > Hollywood. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Regina
                          > >
                          > > Also Nip had a brother named Henry. I think Henry C had a brother
                          > > named Alexander K Bradford.
                          >
                          > Henry Bradford was the oldest son of Alexander Keith Bradford. Sr.
                          > who settled in Jackson County immediately after the Civil War. He
                          > was born in 1855 (although his headstone erroneously states 1858) in
                          > Dandridge Tennesse. AK Sr. was born and raised in Dandridge where
                          > his father, James, and his mother, Catherine Keith, had settled in
                          > the late 1700's. From there I can get you back to Adam. Drop me
                          > email at dbradford@... and I'll send you documents and URLs
                          > that will fill in all your gaps.

                        • ladybugphil
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 22, 2007
                            DAVID;
                            HAVE YOU EVER FOUND A LISTING FOR A HELEE OR HELIE BRADFORD IN HOLLYWOOD, THAT IS BEAUTY COUNTRY.
                            THANK YOU
                            PAMELA PHILLIPS
                            LADYBUGPHIL@...

                            PeoplePC Online
                            A better way to Internet
                            http://www.peoplepc.com
                          • David Bradford
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 23, 2007
                              >DAVID; HAVE YOU EVER FOUND A LISTING FOR A HELEE OR
                              > HELIE BRADFORD IN HOLLYWOOD

                              No, I haven't, but I've only tracked Charles Keith Bradford's branch of the Bradford tree. Sorry I can't help.

                              You might want to take a look at the Alabama Heritage Series in the Scottsboro library. It has a pretty good profile of the Bradfords.