(no subject)

  • malbuff@aol.com
    Message 1 of 35 , Mar 7, 2005
      The union encampment was just north of the railroad tracks in a hilly region
      near the base of Tater knob and melody mountain. As long as I can remeber,
      this
      part of town has contained the Black, African-American population of our
      town.
      I wonder if the black people of our town moved near the union encampment for
      protection, during the war, and near left the area afterwards.

      By 1864, this may have been the case. But slaves didn't always consider
      the Union troops to be their liberators, nor were Union officers particularly
      keen on the idea of freeing the slaves.

      Early in the war the official US Army term for freed/escaped slaves was
      'contrabands', and returns/exchanges frequently took place. Negroes who
      followed the Union army around were not particularly welcome, and
      some generals had to issue orders prohibiting the inhumane treatment of
      escaped Negroes by their troops..

      Priscilla Larkin's diary entry of June 18, 1862, written from her home in
      Larkinsville after Union troops had seized Huntsville, reads in part:

      "Old Micheal (U.S. Gen. O .M. Mitchell) has published in the
      HUNTSVILLE REVEILLE for all who(se) slaves ran away to
      come & get them."

      From August 3, 1862, also at Larkinsville:

      "Poor darkies have been dodging from the Yanks as they are
      out pressing negroes to build breast-works at Stephenson. They
      called in this evening, whilst 'twas pouring down rain, to give a
      receipt of the negroes they were taking from here... Oh: how I felt
      for some of the negroes, if they were condemned to be hung, they
      would not have looked worse."

      She also makes frequent references to the practice of sending slaves
      to safety south of the nearby Tennessee river, which the Union army
      had not been able to cross in force..

      It may be that the Emancipation Proclamation, together with the
      changing momentum of the War after July 1863, caused a shift in
      attitude between slaves and the Union army. By 1864 it probably was
      apparent to the slaves that the Federals were their best hope of
      liberation, whereas early in the War they likely viewed the Yankees
      the same as whites did-- as invaders. (Of course, I mean all this in
      a general sense; I know individual exceptions abounded.)

      Glory to God,
      David Malbuff
      Strasburg, Virginia

    • Jewel Casey
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 19, 2005
        I haven't gotten the messages for quite some time now.
        Jewel