War Between the States encampment

  • prm@hiwaay.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 7, 2005
      Speaking of "Scottsborough", during the WBTS there was a union encampment here
      in the winter of 1864. The reports by union oficers and letters home from union
      soldiers referred to our town as "Scottsborough, Alabama.

      The union encampment was just north of the railroad tracks in a hilly region
      near the base of Tater knob and melody mountain. As long as I can remeber, this
      part of town has contained the Black, African-American population of our town.
      I wonder if the black people of our town moved near the union encampment for
      protection, during the war, and near left the area afterwards.

      Maybe some of the historians on the list can enlighten us about this.

      Richard