Re: [jacksongenealogy] Local photos

  • Jewel Casey
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 5, 2005
      Scottsboro is spelled wrong....
      Jewel
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Robert Patterson
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 10:48 PM
      Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Local photos

      i don't live in western okla i live near eufaula lake

      Doris Wheeler <dwheeler21@...> wrote:
      We were there in October last year, and it was beautiful. (Robert, it
      doesn't look like the part of Oklahoma I grew up in.)

      Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:16 PM
      Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Local photos

      > For those of you who have never visited Jackson County here are some local
      > photos that show why we love this area so much
      >
      > http://www.dannoland.com/1999oct/index.htm

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • prm@hiwaay.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 7, 2005
        Maybe the author is using the original spelling. Scottsboro has been known as:

        Sage Town
        Scotts Station
        Scottsborough
        and now Scottsboro

        Many old maps spell it "Scottsborough". Many local people, a few years back,
        pronounced it "Scottsburr"

        Richard

      • prm@hiwaay.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 7, 2005
          Speaking of "Scottsborough", during the WBTS there was a union encampment here
          in the winter of 1864. The reports by union oficers and letters home from union
          soldiers referred to our town as "Scottsborough, Alabama.

          The union encampment was just north of the railroad tracks in a hilly region
          near the base of Tater knob and melody mountain. As long as I can remeber, this
          part of town has contained the Black, African-American population of our town.
          I wonder if the black people of our town moved near the union encampment for
          protection, during the war, and near left the area afterwards.

          Maybe some of the historians on the list can enlighten us about this.

          Richard