Re: [jacksongenealogy] Local photos

  • Robert Patterson
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2 8:48 PM
      i don't live in western okla i live near eufaula lake

      Doris Wheeler <dwheeler21@...> wrote:
      We were there in October last year, and it was beautiful. (Robert, it
      doesn't look like the part of Oklahoma I grew up in.)

      Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:16 PM
      Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Local photos

      > For those of you who have never visited Jackson County here are some local
      > photos that show why we love this area so much
      >
      > http://www.dannoland.com/1999oct/index.htm

    • CD Woods
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 3 5:20 AM
        I am just curious...Years ago, they used to hold baptisms in the creek near Lakeview Church. I was baptised there as a little girl along with several others after a week long revival at Centennial Baptist Church. We had to walk through the cemetary to get to this spot. By any chance are any of these photos of that spot? Some of them looked as if they could be. Does anyone know if they still use this spot for old fashioned baptisms?
        For those of you who have never visited Jackson County here are some local
        photos that show why we love this area so much

        http://www.dannoland.com/1999oct/index.htm

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Jewel Casey
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 5 8:27 PM
          Scottsboro is spelled wrong....
          Jewel

          Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:16 PM

        • prm@hiwaay.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 7 4:57 AM
            Maybe the author is using the original spelling. Scottsboro has been known as:

            Sage Town
            Scotts Station
            Scottsborough
            and now Scottsboro

            Many old maps spell it "Scottsborough". Many local people, a few years back,
            pronounced it "Scottsburr"

            Richard

          • prm@hiwaay.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 7 5:12 AM
              Speaking of "Scottsborough", during the WBTS there was a union encampment here
              in the winter of 1864. The reports by union oficers and letters home from union
              soldiers referred to our town as "Scottsborough, Alabama.

              The union encampment was just north of the railroad tracks in a hilly region
              near the base of Tater knob and melody mountain. As long as I can remeber, this
              part of town has contained the Black, African-American population of our town.
              I wonder if the black people of our town moved near the union encampment for
              protection, during the war, and near left the area afterwards.

              Maybe some of the historians on the list can enlighten us about this.

              Richard