Re: [jacksongenealogy] Local photos

  • Doris Wheeler
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
      We were there in October last year, and it was beautiful. (Robert, it
      doesn't look like the part of Oklahoma I grew up in.)
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
        i don't live in western okla i live near eufaula lake

        Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:16 PM

        > For those of you who have never visited Jackson County here are some local
        > photos that show why we love this area so much
        >
        > http://www.dannoland.com/1999oct/index.htm

      • CD Woods
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
          I am just curious...Years ago, they used to hold baptisms in the creek near Lakeview Church. I was baptised there as a little girl along with several others after a week long revival at Centennial Baptist Church. We had to walk through the cemetary to get to this spot. By any chance are any of these photos of that spot? Some of them looked as if they could be. Does anyone know if they still use this spot for old fashioned baptisms?
          For those of you who have never visited Jackson County here are some local
          photos that show why we love this area so much

          http://www.dannoland.com/1999oct/index.htm

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Jewel Casey

            Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:16 PM

          • prm@hiwaay.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 7, 2005
              Maybe the author is using the original spelling. Scottsboro has been known as:

              Sage Town
              Scotts Station
              Scottsborough
              and now Scottsboro

              Many old maps spell it "Scottsborough". Many local people, a few years back,
              pronounced it "Scottsburr"

              Richard

            • prm@hiwaay.net
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 7, 2005
                Speaking of "Scottsborough", during the WBTS there was a union encampment here
                in the winter of 1864. The reports by union oficers and letters home from union
                soldiers referred to our town as "Scottsborough, Alabama.

                The union encampment was just north of the railroad tracks in a hilly region
                near the base of Tater knob and melody mountain. As long as I can remeber, this
                part of town has contained the Black, African-American population of our town.
                I wonder if the black people of our town moved near the union encampment for
                protection, during the war, and near left the area afterwards.

                Maybe some of the historians on the list can enlighten us about this.

                Richard