Re: [jacksongenealogy] Local photos

  • Nelda Thompson
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2 3:40 PM
      Beautiful! We had planned on coming last Oct, and I fell and
      broke my ankle the Tues. before we were leaving on Sunday.
      So thanks for showing me what we missed.
      Nelda Thompson
      P.S. We are trying again for the visit next month in April!
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2 4:51 PM
        We were there in October last year, and it was beautiful. (Robert, it
        doesn't look like the part of Oklahoma I grew up in.)
        > For those of you who have never visited Jackson County here are some local
        > photos that show why we love this area so much
        >
        > http://www.dannoland.com/1999oct/index.htm
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Robert Patterson
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2 8:48 PM
          i don't live in western okla i live near eufaula lake

          Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:16 PM

          > For those of you who have never visited Jackson County here are some local
          > photos that show why we love this area so much
          >
          > http://www.dannoland.com/1999oct/index.htm

        • CD Woods

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 5 8:27 PM
              Scottsboro is spelled wrong....
              Jewel

              Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:16 PM

            • prm@hiwaay.net
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 7 4:57 AM
                Maybe the author is using the original spelling. Scottsboro has been known as:

                Sage Town
                Scotts Station
                Scottsborough
                and now Scottsboro

                Many old maps spell it "Scottsborough". Many local people, a few years back,
                pronounced it "Scottsburr"

                Richard

              • prm@hiwaay.net
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 7 5:12 AM
                  Speaking of "Scottsborough", during the WBTS there was a union encampment here
                  in the winter of 1864. The reports by union oficers and letters home from union
                  soldiers referred to our town as "Scottsborough, Alabama.

                  The union encampment was just north of the railroad tracks in a hilly region
                  near the base of Tater knob and melody mountain. As long as I can remeber, this
                  part of town has contained the Black, African-American population of our town.
                  I wonder if the black people of our town moved near the union encampment for
                  protection, during the war, and near left the area afterwards.

                  Maybe some of the historians on the list can enlighten us about this.

                  Richard