Re: [jacksongenealogy] Local photos

  • Shirley Carter
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
      Those are some nice pictures you sent , my great grand
      parents were from Crow Creek Valley Jackson CO., AL,
      and Crow Creek Valley Franklin Co. TN . about 4 miles
      from each other . So gives me some idea what it was
      like for them , only bet ot was much prettyer then ,
      then it is now . Thank you again for sending the
      pictures.
      Shirley
      --- prm@... wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      For those of you who have never visited Jackson County
      here are some local
      photos that show why we love this area so much

      http://www.dannoland.com/1999oct/index.htm

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      Terms of Service.
    • Robert Patterson
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
        looks like the area in okla. i live in. very nice maybe i can and see this year or next

        prm@... wrote:
        For those of you who have never visited Jackson County here are some local
        photos that show why we love this area so much

        http://www.dannoland.com/1999oct/index.htm

      • Nelda Thompson
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
          Beautiful! We had planned on coming last Oct, and I fell and
          broke my ankle the Tues. before we were leaving on Sunday.
          So thanks for showing me what we missed.
          Nelda Thompson
          P.S. We are trying again for the visit next month in April!

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
            We were there in October last year, and it was beautiful. (Robert, it
            doesn't look like the part of Oklahoma I grew up in.)
            > For those of you who have never visited Jackson County here are some local
            > photos that show why we love this area so much
            >
            > http://www.dannoland.com/1999oct/index.htm
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Robert Patterson
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
              i don't live in western okla i live near eufaula lake

              Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:16 PM

              > For those of you who have never visited Jackson County here are some local
              > photos that show why we love this area so much
              >
              > http://www.dannoland.com/1999oct/index.htm

            • CD Woods

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 5, 2005
                  Scottsboro is spelled wrong....
                  Jewel

                  Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:16 PM

                • prm@hiwaay.net
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 7, 2005
                    Maybe the author is using the original spelling. Scottsboro has been known as:

                    Sage Town
                    Scotts Station
                    Scottsborough
                    and now Scottsboro

                    Many old maps spell it "Scottsborough". Many local people, a few years back,
                    pronounced it "Scottsburr"

                    Richard

                  • prm@hiwaay.net
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 7, 2005
                      Speaking of "Scottsborough", during the WBTS there was a union encampment here
                      in the winter of 1864. The reports by union oficers and letters home from union
                      soldiers referred to our town as "Scottsborough, Alabama.

                      The union encampment was just north of the railroad tracks in a hilly region
                      near the base of Tater knob and melody mountain. As long as I can remeber, this
                      part of town has contained the Black, African-American population of our town.
                      I wonder if the black people of our town moved near the union encampment for
                      protection, during the war, and near left the area afterwards.

                      Maybe some of the historians on the list can enlighten us about this.

                      Richard