Re: [jacksongenealogy] James Albert Mathews

  • Lorraine Cooper
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 5 1:16 PM
      Clay, I don't know the birthdate of my ggrandfather, but my Grandfather James Albert Mathews was born June 1867 in AL .Married Emely Jane Thompson on Aug.3 1887in Jackson Co. Al. She was bornNov. 70 or 72. His Father James A. Mathews and wife Nancy? were born in Mo. I can't find out anything about them, or when they came to AL.Thanks for your help. Lorraine She was said to be Cherokee
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 5 10:20 PM
        Clay, I got my GMothers mixed up. My ggrandfather James Mathews or Mathis and ggrandmother both born in Mo.She was a Mariotte.I don't know her first name. Sorry about the mixup--Lorraine

        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 7 8:11 AM
          Clay,

          Nope! There are no death certifiactes on my John and Zilpha here is Texas. Several of his children are buried in the same cemetery as well and I've not found death certificates on anyone who died prior to the 1940's.

          And, I don't know when he and Emmaline ceased to be a couple or why...divorce or death. My guess is her death.

          Thank you so much for the follow-up on this. Your information will be of help as I continue. This is my brickwall. I think what I will do now is step down to his children and try to pull birth/death info on all of them in hopes of finding certificates or registrations so I can narrow down a time period of when there was a change in wives.

          With regard to your notation on Holloway orphans, as you saying that the John and Robert that were in the care of Henry Roach were orphans that he took in...? Would make sense...the war was raging at the time...

          clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote: Jac

          Well a good theory but doesn't square with the
          death, marriage and census records.

          The Emma/Emaline Day that married John Holloway
          maiden name is unknown if she was a widow. There
          is no marriage record of who she wed before John
          Holloway that I have found. I have not found her
          or her son Willis on the 1870 census.

          She definately is not Zilpha/Zilphia Day's sister
          as that Emaline is with her father on the 1880
          listed as age 20. This Emaline was 10 or 11 in
          1870, not exactly the right age to have a 6 year
          old son,Willis (Day?) Holloway listed as John's
          16 year old step-son on the 1880.

          Zilpha/Zilphia Day Matthews and Wiley Matthews
          are shown in a picture in their old age at the
          Matthews family website. She is listed on the
          MegaFile as buried next to Wiley.
          Alabama Deaths: Zilphs Matthews Jun 1938 Cert.
          No. 13307 Jackson Co.

          Do you have the marriage and death certificates
          for John Holloway and any of his wifes? While
          parents aren't listed on marriage certificates in
          AL, parents names and where they were born was
          asked for on death certificates in AL.

          John and Robert Holiway are not the only Holiway
          orphans apparently. There is a Greene Holloway 19
          listed on the 1860 and a Minerva Holiway 14 on
          the 1870 in Jackson Co.

        • kathy edwards
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 7 9:05 PM
            I see a John? Holoway, 27 md to Emma A. 1880 Jackson Co., AL Census ED#113,
            Beat #10
            There is a John M. age 3 with Jerry Holoway in 1880 also. and in 1870 census
            a John Holiway abe 17 wirked on farm of James Williams.
            Also 1922 Dec. in "Progressive Age" I think, "John Holloway murdered by
            Thornton Grey (Home at Bryant).
            What age is your John Holloway??

          • kathy edwards
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 7 9:13 PM
              P.S. - I am looking for dad of Newton Holloway. Have neve heard of his
              middle name, maybe had none. I think Newton's Dad was Jackson (I think this
              may be Andrew Jackson Holloway, maybe) b. GA and Emily B AL. not sure.

              The John Holiway in 1870 Al Census was living in Bridgeport with Jame
              Williams.

              Also see in 1850 Jackson Co., TN Census , family 524 Holladay, John md to
              Emeline both 29 with one child Mariah age 2. John b. VA, Emeline B. TN,
              Mariah B. TN Looks like Bro Thomas next door b. VA too. also age 29.

              CLAY DO YOU HAVE ANY INFO ON NEWTON HOLLOWAY, BOOTLEGGER AT LONG ISLAND AND
              LAND ABOVE IT ON MTN.

              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 8 6:53 PM
                Kathy

                When was Newton born?

                Clay
              • Gary Rogers
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 9 8:27 AM
                  Clay,

                  Just wanted to drop a note and say that I am a quiet observer and have
                  learned a lot from your responces, and help to others on the site. Thanks
                  for all your hard work. I am related to a large number of families from
                  Jackson County, (the Sand Montain area primarily.) and am researching the
                  following families: MEDLOCK, CULPEPPER, ROGERS, SARTIN, CLAYTON, YATES,
                  BYNUM, MORTON,

                  I am searching right now on a couple problem area's in my genealogy. I am
                  trying to locate information about an ELBERT SARTIN who was in Jackson
                  County in 1840, with family in the census. His son, James Robinson Sartin
                  was born in 1839 in Jackson County and fought for the Confederacy and died
                  in 1888, in Jackson County. While the Sartins were a large family, I cant
                  find any graves for them! I understand there was a large number of them in
                  an area coming off Sand Mountain towards Scottsboro, an area called
                  "Sartin's Bend". Perhaps on the Tennessee River. Elbert Sartin recieved a
                  land grant ( in the OLD LAND RECORD BOOK OF JACKSON CO) for some service he
                  fought in (ACT of 1850?). Your recent comments on flooded cemeteries caught
                  my attention with the land located close to the Tennessee River.

                  Sincerely,
                  Gary W. Rogers
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 9 9:33 AM
                    Gary

                    While I did not find any Sartins/Sartens on the
                    TVA Flooded Cemeteries there are several on the
                    Jackson Co. MegaFile. I am emailing both to you.

                    Your Elbert Sartin lived only 4 or 5 house away
                    from my greatgrandfather James M. Gullatt on the
                    1850.
                    The land that Elbert Sartin and James M. Gullatt
                    (and his twin Thomas J.Gullatt) received on Sand
                    Mountain was for fighting in the Flordia Indian
                    Wars.

                    Clay
                  • Gary Rogers
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 9 11:20 AM
                      Clay, thanks for your help. I am corresponding with some cousins who I
                      understand are related to the Elliots of Jackson county and they (as I
                      believe you are) of American Indian extraction. Are you familiar with the
                      Eliots and the option to have reservation land in Jackson County? I know
                      this may sounds crazy, but did some of these families (of Indian heritage)
                      fight in the Florida Indian Wars with or for the American government?

                      Sincerely,
                      Gary W. Rogers
                    • kathy edwards
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 10 5:50 PM
                        In the AL 1900 Census It shows Newton Holoway b. Mar. 1864 in AL and Dad/Mom
                        both in GA
                        But when he died in 1950's he said he was about 100 so I'm not so sure.
                        Thank you,
                        Kathy

                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 11 8:44 AM
                          Kathy

                          Newton Holloway

                          1880 Jackson Co. AL
                          Jackson Holaway 47 GA GA GA
                          Emily 41 TN TN TN
                          Sarah 22 AL GA TN
                          Newton 16 AL GA TN
                          John M. 8 TN GA TN

                          1870 Maury Co. TN
                          Andrew J Holloway 35 GA
                          Emily 30 GA
                          Sarah 12 AL
                          Newton 8 AL

                          1860 Rising Fawn Dade Co. GA
                          Jackson Haloway 24 Rail Roader GA
                          Emily 19 AL
                          Sarah A. 2 AL

                          1850 Gilmer Co. GA
                          Stephen Holloway 36 NC
                          Mary D. 32 GA
                          Andrew J. 13 GA
                          John M. 12
                          Joseph W. 10
                          William J. 8
                          Richard S. 7
                          Nancy A. 5
                          Martha A. 4
                          Lewis A. 2

                          1850 Gilmer Co. GA
                          Reuben Holloway 78 b. 1772 NC
                          Nancy 61 b. 1789 SC or NC

                          Stephen and Mary are also on the 1860/1870 and
                          Stephen and new wife Ruth on the 1880. Stephen
                          and Reuben are on the 1840, all Gilmer Co. GA.
                          There are a bunch of other Holloways in Gilmer
                          Co. apparently all kin.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 11 9:23 AM
                            Kathy

                            AL Marriages
                            Andrew J. Holloway m. Emily Warren 21 Sep 1856
                            DeKalb Co. AL

                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 11 9:26 AM
                              Kathy

                              Newton Holloway m. Mary Howard 05 Feb 1893
                              Jackson Co. AL.

                              Clay
                            • kathy edwards
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 12 8:04 PM
                                I always thought the Jackson from Dade Co was diff. because of the diff. age
                                but I can see now since you put it out in order that it all fits. I could
                                not read the word Newton on the 1880 Census but knew this was the right age.
                                Newton was the only work I could not make out clearly.
                                I thank you again. You're doing great for all of us.

                              • kathy edwards
                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 12 8:08 PM
                                  Clay,
                                  Thanks once again. You wouldnt be able to figure out who Newton Holloway md
                                  would you.
                                  That has been a mystery because she was either Mary Howard or Mary Grey.
                                  Either her or her mother was illigitimate. I cannot figure it out. Just
                                  told by older generation they didn't really know her last name.
                                  Thanks,

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 13 7:28 AM
                                    Kathy

                                    Newton Holloway m. Mary Howard 05 Feb 1893
                                    Jackson Co. AL

                                    Clay
                                  • Kathryn Swearingen
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 19 11:43 PM
                                      Does anyone know Emily Warren's parents?

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 20 7:23 AM
                                        Kathy

                                        Emely(Emily) Warren is listed on the 1850 census
                                        with apparently her mother Olive Warren in DeKalb
                                        Co.

                                        1850 DeKalb Co AL
                                        Olive Warren 26 SC
                                        Emely 11 TN
                                        Mary Ann 9 AL
                                        Rebecca 6 AL
                                        William 4 AL

                                        Olive Warren 36 Domestic b. Unknown is on the
                                        1860 with Rebecca 15 and William 12, Head Spring
                                        PO DeKalb Co.

                                        On the 1870 Olive Warren 44 GA is living in a
                                        household (Stevenson PO, Jackson Co.)with some
                                        one but unable to determine who as there is only
                                        a partial household listing, though checking the
                                        children's names with the 1880 it is with Hatch
                                        and Pollie Abbot. (only one Rufina age 6 1870 age
                                        16 on both census)Pollie Abbot's age 38 1880
                                        agrees with Mary Ann Warren from the 1850, Pollie
                                        is the old nickname for Mary, just guessing.)

                                        Olive Warren 65 Mother GA GA GA is on the 1880
                                        living in the household of William Warren 4
                                        houses away form Jackson and Emely Holloway. Age
                                        probably wrong since it does not agree with the
                                        previous census.

                                        Rebecca Warren m. Hugh P Jones 29 Sep 1867. Could
                                        not find any marriages for the others.

                                        Would you like the images?