Re: [jacksongenealogy] Holloway / (Day) Burke

  • kathy edwards
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 5, 2005
      Lorraine
      I have bits and pieces about John Holloway
      1870 Jack Co., TN (This says Jackson Co., Tennessee)
      there was a John Holladay age 29 White Male from VA fam/page 624
      Emeline 29 F. TN
      Mariah 2 F TN

      Holladay, Thomas 29 MW Farm 600 VA
      Agnes 23 FW TN
      Joseph 16 MW TN
      Frances 6 FW TN
      Thomas 1 MW TN
      Living with them Baker, Mary A 13 FW TN

      Also probably not kin W/353 whatever that means??, was a Nesanna Hollay
      52 b. TN
      living with Jacob and Nancy A Cooper.

      My notes could be wrong (could be AL not TN) but I got at Hamilton Co. TN
      Library
      many years ago and I definitely wrote down TN. May not be kin since spelled
      Holladay but his wife was Emeline.

    • kathy edwards
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 5, 2005
        Lorraine,
        Also I have 1870 AL Census
        Holiway, John 17 M V worked on farm of James Williams

        1880 Jackson Co., AL Census

        Ed # 113, Beat #10
        90-98 Holloway, John ?? 27 or 22 AL AL AL b. 1853 or 1848
        Emma A. 36 AL GA Lic??TN
        Willis 6 AL AL AL
        Samantah 5
        George W. 4
        Katy L. 8/12 " " "

        There were more Holloways but I cannot Read them.

        Also one story you might read in an old newspaper.
        Dec. 1922 E-mail me direct for this info
        at kated35765@...

      • Lorraine Cooper
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 5, 2005
          Clay, I don't know the birthdate of my ggrandfather, but my Grandfather James Albert Mathews was born June 1867 in AL .Married Emely Jane Thompson on Aug.3 1887in Jackson Co. Al. She was bornNov. 70 or 72. His Father James A. Mathews and wife Nancy? were born in Mo. I can't find out anything about them, or when they came to AL.Thanks for your help. Lorraine She was said to be Cherokee
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 5, 2005
            Clay, I got my GMothers mixed up. My ggrandfather James Mathews or Mathis and ggrandmother both born in Mo.She was a Mariotte.I don't know her first name. Sorry about the mixup--Lorraine

            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 7, 2005
              Clay,

              Nope! There are no death certifiactes on my John and Zilpha here is Texas. Several of his children are buried in the same cemetery as well and I've not found death certificates on anyone who died prior to the 1940's.

              And, I don't know when he and Emmaline ceased to be a couple or why...divorce or death. My guess is her death.

              Thank you so much for the follow-up on this. Your information will be of help as I continue. This is my brickwall. I think what I will do now is step down to his children and try to pull birth/death info on all of them in hopes of finding certificates or registrations so I can narrow down a time period of when there was a change in wives.

              With regard to your notation on Holloway orphans, as you saying that the John and Robert that were in the care of Henry Roach were orphans that he took in...? Would make sense...the war was raging at the time...

              clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote: Jac

              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 7, 2005
                I see a John? Holoway, 27 md to Emma A. 1880 Jackson Co., AL Census ED#113,
                Beat #10
                There is a John M. age 3 with Jerry Holoway in 1880 also. and in 1870 census
                a John Holiway abe 17 wirked on farm of James Williams.
                Also 1922 Dec. in "Progressive Age" I think, "John Holloway murdered by
                Thornton Grey (Home at Bryant).
                What age is your John Holloway??

              • kathy edwards
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 7, 2005
                  P.S. - I am looking for dad of Newton Holloway. Have neve heard of his
                  middle name, maybe had none. I think Newton's Dad was Jackson (I think this
                  may be Andrew Jackson Holloway, maybe) b. GA and Emily B AL. not sure.

                  The John Holiway in 1870 Al Census was living in Bridgeport with Jame
                  Williams.

                  Also see in 1850 Jackson Co., TN Census , family 524 Holladay, John md to
                  Emeline both 29 with one child Mariah age 2. John b. VA, Emeline B. TN,
                  Mariah B. TN Looks like Bro Thomas next door b. VA too. also age 29.

                  CLAY DO YOU HAVE ANY INFO ON NEWTON HOLLOWAY, BOOTLEGGER AT LONG ISLAND AND
                  LAND ABOVE IT ON MTN.

                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 8, 2005
                    Kathy

                    When was Newton born?

                    Clay
                  • Gary Rogers
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 9, 2005
                      Clay,

                      Just wanted to drop a note and say that I am a quiet observer and have
                      learned a lot from your responces, and help to others on the site. Thanks
                      for all your hard work. I am related to a large number of families from
                      Jackson County, (the Sand Montain area primarily.) and am researching the
                      following families: MEDLOCK, CULPEPPER, ROGERS, SARTIN, CLAYTON, YATES,
                      BYNUM, MORTON,

                      I am searching right now on a couple problem area's in my genealogy. I am
                      trying to locate information about an ELBERT SARTIN who was in Jackson
                      County in 1840, with family in the census. His son, James Robinson Sartin
                      was born in 1839 in Jackson County and fought for the Confederacy and died
                      in 1888, in Jackson County. While the Sartins were a large family, I cant
                      find any graves for them! I understand there was a large number of them in
                      an area coming off Sand Mountain towards Scottsboro, an area called
                      "Sartin's Bend". Perhaps on the Tennessee River. Elbert Sartin recieved a
                      land grant ( in the OLD LAND RECORD BOOK OF JACKSON CO) for some service he
                      fought in (ACT of 1850?). Your recent comments on flooded cemeteries caught
                      my attention with the land located close to the Tennessee River.

                      Sincerely,
                      Gary W. Rogers
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 9, 2005
                        Gary

                        While I did not find any Sartins/Sartens on the
                        TVA Flooded Cemeteries there are several on the
                        Jackson Co. MegaFile. I am emailing both to you.

                        Your Elbert Sartin lived only 4 or 5 house away
                        from my greatgrandfather James M. Gullatt on the
                        1850.
                        The land that Elbert Sartin and James M. Gullatt
                        (and his twin Thomas J.Gullatt) received on Sand
                        Mountain was for fighting in the Flordia Indian
                        Wars.

                        Clay
                      • Gary Rogers
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 9, 2005
                          Clay, thanks for your help. I am corresponding with some cousins who I
                          understand are related to the Elliots of Jackson county and they (as I
                          believe you are) of American Indian extraction. Are you familiar with the
                          Eliots and the option to have reservation land in Jackson County? I know
                          this may sounds crazy, but did some of these families (of Indian heritage)
                          fight in the Florida Indian Wars with or for the American government?

                          Sincerely,
                          Gary W. Rogers
                        • kathy edwards
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 10, 2005
                            In the AL 1900 Census It shows Newton Holoway b. Mar. 1864 in AL and Dad/Mom
                            both in GA
                            But when he died in 1950's he said he was about 100 so I'm not so sure.
                            Thank you,
                            Kathy

                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 11, 2005
                              Kathy

                              Newton Holloway

                              1880 Jackson Co. AL
                              Jackson Holaway 47 GA GA GA
                              Emily 41 TN TN TN
                              Sarah 22 AL GA TN
                              Newton 16 AL GA TN
                              John M. 8 TN GA TN

                              1870 Maury Co. TN
                              Andrew J Holloway 35 GA
                              Emily 30 GA
                              Sarah 12 AL
                              Newton 8 AL

                              1860 Rising Fawn Dade Co. GA
                              Jackson Haloway 24 Rail Roader GA
                              Emily 19 AL
                              Sarah A. 2 AL

                              1850 Gilmer Co. GA
                              Stephen Holloway 36 NC
                              Mary D. 32 GA
                              Andrew J. 13 GA
                              John M. 12
                              Joseph W. 10
                              William J. 8
                              Richard S. 7
                              Nancy A. 5
                              Martha A. 4
                              Lewis A. 2

                              1850 Gilmer Co. GA
                              Reuben Holloway 78 b. 1772 NC
                              Nancy 61 b. 1789 SC or NC

                              Stephen and Mary are also on the 1860/1870 and
                              Stephen and new wife Ruth on the 1880. Stephen
                              and Reuben are on the 1840, all Gilmer Co. GA.
                              There are a bunch of other Holloways in Gilmer
                              Co. apparently all kin.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 11, 2005
                                Kathy

                                AL Marriages
                                Andrew J. Holloway m. Emily Warren 21 Sep 1856
                                DeKalb Co. AL

                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 11, 2005
                                  Kathy

                                  Newton Holloway m. Mary Howard 05 Feb 1893
                                  Jackson Co. AL.

                                  Clay
                                • kathy edwards
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 12, 2005
                                    I always thought the Jackson from Dade Co was diff. because of the diff. age
                                    but I can see now since you put it out in order that it all fits. I could
                                    not read the word Newton on the 1880 Census but knew this was the right age.
                                    Newton was the only work I could not make out clearly.
                                    I thank you again. You're doing great for all of us.

                                  • kathy edwards
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 12, 2005
                                      Clay,
                                      Thanks once again. You wouldnt be able to figure out who Newton Holloway md
                                      would you.
                                      That has been a mystery because she was either Mary Howard or Mary Grey.
                                      Either her or her mother was illigitimate. I cannot figure it out. Just
                                      told by older generation they didn't really know her last name.
                                      Thanks,

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 13, 2005
                                        Kathy

                                        Newton Holloway m. Mary Howard 05 Feb 1893
                                        Jackson Co. AL

                                        Clay
                                      • Kathryn Swearingen
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 19, 2005
                                          Does anyone know Emily Warren's parents?

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 20, 2005
                                            Kathy

                                            Emely(Emily) Warren is listed on the 1850 census
                                            with apparently her mother Olive Warren in DeKalb
                                            Co.

                                            1850 DeKalb Co AL
                                            Olive Warren 26 SC
                                            Emely 11 TN
                                            Mary Ann 9 AL
                                            Rebecca 6 AL
                                            William 4 AL

                                            Olive Warren 36 Domestic b. Unknown is on the
                                            1860 with Rebecca 15 and William 12, Head Spring
                                            PO DeKalb Co.

                                            On the 1870 Olive Warren 44 GA is living in a
                                            household (Stevenson PO, Jackson Co.)with some
                                            one but unable to determine who as there is only
                                            a partial household listing, though checking the
                                            children's names with the 1880 it is with Hatch
                                            and Pollie Abbot. (only one Rufina age 6 1870 age
                                            16 on both census)Pollie Abbot's age 38 1880
                                            agrees with Mary Ann Warren from the 1850, Pollie
                                            is the old nickname for Mary, just guessing.)

                                            Olive Warren 65 Mother GA GA GA is on the 1880
                                            living in the household of William Warren 4
                                            houses away form Jackson and Emely Holloway. Age
                                            probably wrong since it does not agree with the
                                            previous census.

                                            Rebecca Warren m. Hugh P Jones 29 Sep 1867. Could
                                            not find any marriages for the others.

                                            Would you like the images?