KEY - WALTON families

  • Richard Crowe
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2005
      My G-Grandfather George Clemons (Clemmons or Clemens) KEY lived in
      Jackson County in 1870.

      1870 Census - Jackson County, AL
      George W. KEY, 45,m, wood chopper, B:1825, AL
      Mary, 36, f, 36, B: 1834 Tenn.
      George C. 8, m, B: 1862, Miss.

      George Washington KEY married his wife, Mrs. Mary WEBB in Jackson
      County in 1869. I am assuming that George C. KEY was the son of Mary
      and her former husband since he was born in MS approximately 7 years
      prior to his mother's marriage to George Washington.

      George C. KEY married Climmie (Clemintine?) WALTON in, I assume,
      Jackson County, before 1882.

      Side note:
      1870 Census OF Scottsboro Jackson County, AL lists:
      Jackson Walton, 33, m, labor, Ala. B: 1837
      Lucinda Walton, 40, f, B: 1830 Ala.
      Alfred, 14, m, B: 1856, Ala.
      Sarah I, 12, f, B: 1858, Ala.
      Manda 8, f, B: 1862, Ala.
      Clemintine (Climmie?), 5, f, B: 1865, Ala.
      They were living at : Township 6, Range 7 on the 23rd. of Aug. 1870
      I don't know what connection this family has to my family. I once
      thought that Jackson and Lucinda were the parents of Climmie WALTON
      and Sarah WALTON who were my great grandmother and her sister.

      The 1900 Census of Tarrant County TX indicates that Climmie WALTON
      was probably the daughter of:

      John F. WALTON, born January 1832 in Alabama, father born KY, Mother
      born AL – day laborer
      M. 1857
      Lucinda M. WALTON (wife), born Jan 1828 in TN, father born TN,
      Mother Born TN
      Married 1857
      Lucinda gave birth to 6 children of whom 3 were living in 1900
      Above information from 1900 Tarrant County, TX Census

      George C. and Climmie's first daughter was:

      Viola Priscilla KEY Dec. 19, 1882 in Scottsboro, Ala. Father born
      AL, Mother born AL She died Feb. 27, 1967 in Tracy, Ca. She married
      John Perry Bowling, July 21, 1903 in Woodford, OK. He was born Oct.
      03, 1871 in Tarrant, Co. TX. He died March, 17, 1938

      George C. and Climmie relocated to Grapevine, Tarrant County, TX
      between 1882 and 1884. Their second, and last, child was born there:

      Forthie I. KEY, July 4th (hence name of Forthie) 1884, Grapevine,
      Tarrant Co, TX. She died July 14 1924 in San Antonio, TX. She
      married Pinckney (Pink) Crow, Nov 8, 1902 In Ardmore, Pickens Co.
      (now Carter Co.), Indian Territory, Oklahoma

      Climmie WALTON-KEY died between 1884 and 1900. George C. KEY
      migrated to OK and remarried.

      As per the 1900 Census of Tarrant County Viola Priscilla lived with
      her maternal grandparents: John F. And Lucinda C. WALTON.

      Forthie lived with:

      William W. WALTON, born Oct 1866 TX, Died 1935 TX, Father born AL,
      Mother Born TX (Is the TX birth incorrect)
      Sarah (Sally?) E. WALTON, born Mar 1860 TN, Died 1936 TX, Father
      born AL, Mother born TN
      William W. and Sarah are listed as having been married in 1892
      Forthie is listed as being a boarder
      I believe that these are the aunt and Uncle of Forthie.

      I am searching for any information regarding these ancestors

      Note: George Washington KEY served in the First Alabama Cavalry
      along with several WALTON surnamed man and at least one WEBB
      surnamed man.

      Specific Questions:

      1. When and why did Mrs. Mary WEBB move from MS where she lived
      in 1862 (as per her son, George C. KEY, birth) to Jackson County, AL
      2. Did George Washington KEY adopt George C. KEY
      3. When did George C. KEY marry Climmie WALTON
      4. Any information on the John F. and Lucinda WALTON family
      including Lucinda's maiden name and parents.
      5. Were there different branches of the WALTON family who may
      have intermarried. Where, if anyplace, does Jackson and Lucinda
      WALTON fit in.
      6. Is the above George Washington KEY the son of Isaac KEY and
      Elizabeth RILEY?

      Richard Crowe
      Escondido, CA
      rpcrowe@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2005
        Richard

        Alabama Marriages Jackson Co.

        J.C. Key m. Diana C. Walton 20 Dec 1881

        Probably who you are looking for.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2005
          Richard

          According to the 1900 census Mary Webb Key had no
          children. On all the census Mary gives her birth
          state as TN. On the 1880 G. Clem Key is listed as
          AL VA ARK. On the 1900 he says MS VA MS. On the
          1870 and 1880 he is listed as son not step-son.
          All this leads me to believe he is the son of
          George W. Key by a prior marriage in MS and not
          the son of Mary Webb.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 5, 2005
            Richard

            Correction on the 1880 G. Clem Key is listed as
            MS VA ARK.