Re: [jacksongenealogy] Holloway / (Day) Burke

    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 4 4:19 PM
      Jac

      Well a good theory but doesn't square with the
      death, marriage and census records.

      The Emma/Emaline Day that married John Holloway
      maiden name is unknown if she was a widow. There
      is no marriage record of who she wed before John
      Holloway that I have found. I have not found her
      or her son Willis on the 1870 census.

      She definately is not Zilpha/Zilphia Day's sister
      as that Emaline is with her father on the 1880
      listed as age 20. This Emaline was 10 or 11 in
      1870, not exactly the right age to have a 6 year
      old son,Willis (Day?) Holloway listed as John's
      16 year old step-son on the 1880.

      Zilpha/Zilphia Day Matthews and Wiley Matthews
      are shown in a picture in their old age at the
      Matthews family website. She is listed on the
      MegaFile as buried next to Wiley.
      Alabama Deaths: Zilphs Matthews Jun 1938 Cert.
      No. 13307 Jackson Co.

      Do you have the marriage and death certificates
      for John Holloway and any of his wifes? While
      parents aren't listed on marriage certificates in
      AL, parents names and where they were born was
      asked for on death certificates in AL.

      John and Robert Holiway are not the only Holiway
      orphans apparently. There is a Greene Holloway 19
      listed on the 1860 and a Minerva Holiway 14 on
      the 1870 in Jackson Co.

      Clay
    • Lorraine Cooper

        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 5 5:55 AM
          Lorriane

          Give me some birth dates for the Mathews and I
          will look them up and email you the images.

          The 1880 census index can be search at
          www.familysearch.org the LDS site for free but no
          images unless you have ancestry.

          I will gladly do any searches anyone wants and
          email them the images as will several others in
          this group.

          Clay
        • kathy edwards
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 5 10:26 AM
            Lorraine
            I have bits and pieces about John Holloway
            1870 Jack Co., TN (This says Jackson Co., Tennessee)
            there was a John Holladay age 29 White Male from VA fam/page 624
            Emeline 29 F. TN
            Mariah 2 F TN

            Holladay, Thomas 29 MW Farm 600 VA
            Agnes 23 FW TN
            Joseph 16 MW TN
            Frances 6 FW TN
            Thomas 1 MW TN
            Living with them Baker, Mary A 13 FW TN

            Also probably not kin W/353 whatever that means??, was a Nesanna Hollay
            52 b. TN
            living with Jacob and Nancy A Cooper.

            My notes could be wrong (could be AL not TN) but I got at Hamilton Co. TN
            Library
            many years ago and I definitely wrote down TN. May not be kin since spelled
            Holladay but his wife was Emeline.

          • kathy edwards
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 5 10:34 AM
              Lorraine,
              Also I have 1870 AL Census
              Holiway, John 17 M V worked on farm of James Williams

              1880 Jackson Co., AL Census

              Ed # 113, Beat #10
              90-98 Holloway, John ?? 27 or 22 AL AL AL b. 1853 or 1848
              Emma A. 36 AL GA Lic??TN
              Willis 6 AL AL AL
              Samantah 5
              George W. 4
              Katy L. 8/12 " " "

              There were more Holloways but I cannot Read them.

              Also one story you might read in an old newspaper.
              Dec. 1922 E-mail me direct for this info
              at kated35765@...

            • Lorraine Cooper

                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 5 10:20 PM
                  Clay, I got my GMothers mixed up. My ggrandfather James Mathews or Mathis and ggrandmother both born in Mo.She was a Mariotte.I don't know her first name. Sorry about the mixup--Lorraine

                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 7 8:11 AM
                    Clay,

                    Nope! There are no death certifiactes on my John and Zilpha here is Texas. Several of his children are buried in the same cemetery as well and I've not found death certificates on anyone who died prior to the 1940's.

                    And, I don't know when he and Emmaline ceased to be a couple or why...divorce or death. My guess is her death.

                    Thank you so much for the follow-up on this. Your information will be of help as I continue. This is my brickwall. I think what I will do now is step down to his children and try to pull birth/death info on all of them in hopes of finding certificates or registrations so I can narrow down a time period of when there was a change in wives.

                    With regard to your notation on Holloway orphans, as you saying that the John and Robert that were in the care of Henry Roach were orphans that he took in...? Would make sense...the war was raging at the time...

                    clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote: Jac

                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 7 9:05 PM
                      I see a John? Holoway, 27 md to Emma A. 1880 Jackson Co., AL Census ED#113,
                      Beat #10
                      There is a John M. age 3 with Jerry Holoway in 1880 also. and in 1870 census
                      a John Holiway abe 17 wirked on farm of James Williams.
                      Also 1922 Dec. in "Progressive Age" I think, "John Holloway murdered by
                      Thornton Grey (Home at Bryant).
                      What age is your John Holloway??

                    • kathy edwards
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 7 9:13 PM
                        P.S. - I am looking for dad of Newton Holloway. Have neve heard of his
                        middle name, maybe had none. I think Newton's Dad was Jackson (I think this
                        may be Andrew Jackson Holloway, maybe) b. GA and Emily B AL. not sure.

                        The John Holiway in 1870 Al Census was living in Bridgeport with Jame
                        Williams.

                        Also see in 1850 Jackson Co., TN Census , family 524 Holladay, John md to
                        Emeline both 29 with one child Mariah age 2. John b. VA, Emeline B. TN,
                        Mariah B. TN Looks like Bro Thomas next door b. VA too. also age 29.

                        CLAY DO YOU HAVE ANY INFO ON NEWTON HOLLOWAY, BOOTLEGGER AT LONG ISLAND AND
                        LAND ABOVE IT ON MTN.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 8 6:53 PM
                          Kathy

                          When was Newton born?

                          Clay
                        • Gary Rogers
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 9 8:27 AM
                            Clay,

                            Just wanted to drop a note and say that I am a quiet observer and have
                            learned a lot from your responces, and help to others on the site. Thanks
                            for all your hard work. I am related to a large number of families from
                            Jackson County, (the Sand Montain area primarily.) and am researching the
                            following families: MEDLOCK, CULPEPPER, ROGERS, SARTIN, CLAYTON, YATES,
                            BYNUM, MORTON,

                            I am searching right now on a couple problem area's in my genealogy. I am
                            trying to locate information about an ELBERT SARTIN who was in Jackson
                            County in 1840, with family in the census. His son, James Robinson Sartin
                            was born in 1839 in Jackson County and fought for the Confederacy and died
                            in 1888, in Jackson County. While the Sartins were a large family, I cant
                            find any graves for them! I understand there was a large number of them in
                            an area coming off Sand Mountain towards Scottsboro, an area called
                            "Sartin's Bend". Perhaps on the Tennessee River. Elbert Sartin recieved a
                            land grant ( in the OLD LAND RECORD BOOK OF JACKSON CO) for some service he
                            fought in (ACT of 1850?). Your recent comments on flooded cemeteries caught
                            my attention with the land located close to the Tennessee River.

                            Sincerely,
                            Gary W. Rogers
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 9 9:33 AM
                              Gary

                              While I did not find any Sartins/Sartens on the
                              TVA Flooded Cemeteries there are several on the
                              Jackson Co. MegaFile. I am emailing both to you.

                              Your Elbert Sartin lived only 4 or 5 house away
                              from my greatgrandfather James M. Gullatt on the
                              1850.
                              The land that Elbert Sartin and James M. Gullatt
                              (and his twin Thomas J.Gullatt) received on Sand
                              Mountain was for fighting in the Flordia Indian
                              Wars.

                              Clay
                            • Gary Rogers
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 9 11:20 AM
                                Clay, thanks for your help. I am corresponding with some cousins who I
                                understand are related to the Elliots of Jackson county and they (as I
                                believe you are) of American Indian extraction. Are you familiar with the
                                Eliots and the option to have reservation land in Jackson County? I know
                                this may sounds crazy, but did some of these families (of Indian heritage)
                                fight in the Florida Indian Wars with or for the American government?

                                Sincerely,
                                Gary W. Rogers
                              • kathy edwards
                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 10 5:50 PM
                                  In the AL 1900 Census It shows Newton Holoway b. Mar. 1864 in AL and Dad/Mom
                                  both in GA
                                  But when he died in 1950's he said he was about 100 so I'm not so sure.
                                  Thank you,
                                  Kathy

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 11 8:44 AM
                                    Kathy

                                    Newton Holloway

                                    1880 Jackson Co. AL
                                    Jackson Holaway 47 GA GA GA
                                    Emily 41 TN TN TN
                                    Sarah 22 AL GA TN
                                    Newton 16 AL GA TN
                                    John M. 8 TN GA TN

                                    1870 Maury Co. TN
                                    Andrew J Holloway 35 GA
                                    Emily 30 GA
                                    Sarah 12 AL
                                    Newton 8 AL

                                    1860 Rising Fawn Dade Co. GA
                                    Jackson Haloway 24 Rail Roader GA
                                    Emily 19 AL
                                    Sarah A. 2 AL

                                    1850 Gilmer Co. GA
                                    Stephen Holloway 36 NC
                                    Mary D. 32 GA
                                    Andrew J. 13 GA
                                    John M. 12
                                    Joseph W. 10
                                    William J. 8
                                    Richard S. 7
                                    Nancy A. 5
                                    Martha A. 4
                                    Lewis A. 2

                                    1850 Gilmer Co. GA
                                    Reuben Holloway 78 b. 1772 NC
                                    Nancy 61 b. 1789 SC or NC

                                    Stephen and Mary are also on the 1860/1870 and
                                    Stephen and new wife Ruth on the 1880. Stephen
                                    and Reuben are on the 1840, all Gilmer Co. GA.
                                    There are a bunch of other Holloways in Gilmer
                                    Co. apparently all kin.

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 11 9:23 AM
                                      Kathy

                                      AL Marriages
                                      Andrew J. Holloway m. Emily Warren 21 Sep 1856
                                      DeKalb Co. AL

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 11 9:26 AM
                                        Kathy

                                        Newton Holloway m. Mary Howard 05 Feb 1893
                                        Jackson Co. AL.

                                        Clay
                                      • kathy edwards
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 12 8:04 PM
                                          I always thought the Jackson from Dade Co was diff. because of the diff. age
                                          but I can see now since you put it out in order that it all fits. I could
                                          not read the word Newton on the 1880 Census but knew this was the right age.
                                          Newton was the only work I could not make out clearly.
                                          I thank you again. You're doing great for all of us.

                                        • kathy edwards
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 12 8:08 PM
                                            Clay,
                                            Thanks once again. You wouldnt be able to figure out who Newton Holloway md
                                            would you.
                                            That has been a mystery because she was either Mary Howard or Mary Grey.
                                            Either her or her mother was illigitimate. I cannot figure it out. Just
                                            told by older generation they didn't really know her last name.
                                            Thanks,

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Feb 13 7:28 AM
                                              Kathy

                                              Newton Holloway m. Mary Howard 05 Feb 1893
                                              Jackson Co. AL

                                              Clay
                                            • Kathryn Swearingen
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Feb 19 11:43 PM
                                                Does anyone know Emily Warren's parents?

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Feb 20 7:23 AM
                                                  Kathy

                                                  Emely(Emily) Warren is listed on the 1850 census
                                                  with apparently her mother Olive Warren in DeKalb
                                                  Co.

                                                  1850 DeKalb Co AL
                                                  Olive Warren 26 SC
                                                  Emely 11 TN
                                                  Mary Ann 9 AL
                                                  Rebecca 6 AL
                                                  William 4 AL

                                                  Olive Warren 36 Domestic b. Unknown is on the
                                                  1860 with Rebecca 15 and William 12, Head Spring
                                                  PO DeKalb Co.

                                                  On the 1870 Olive Warren 44 GA is living in a
                                                  household (Stevenson PO, Jackson Co.)with some
                                                  one but unable to determine who as there is only
                                                  a partial household listing, though checking the
                                                  children's names with the 1880 it is with Hatch
                                                  and Pollie Abbot. (only one Rufina age 6 1870 age
                                                  16 on both census)Pollie Abbot's age 38 1880
                                                  agrees with Mary Ann Warren from the 1850, Pollie
                                                  is the old nickname for Mary, just guessing.)

                                                  Olive Warren 65 Mother GA GA GA is on the 1880
                                                  living in the household of William Warren 4
                                                  houses away form Jackson and Emely Holloway. Age
                                                  probably wrong since it does not agree with the
                                                  previous census.

                                                  Rebecca Warren m. Hugh P Jones 29 Sep 1867. Could
                                                  not find any marriages for the others.

                                                  Would you like the images?