Re: [jacksongenealogy] Holloway / (Day) Burke

  • Jac Waters
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 4, 2005
      GOOD! You're confused now TOO!

      Everything that you have shared with me below is known to me, excep that Zilpha Day Matthews died in AL. I sure want to believe my theory in that John married the two sisters and that Zilpha is buried here in Texas. Maybe John and Wiley did a wife swap....?!?!? LOL!!!

      The Henry Roach piece in the overall puzzle if confusing as well.

      Any suggestions...?

      clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:
      Jac

      This will only add to the puzzle.

      Your info on Zilpha and Emaline Day is very
      confusing, are these the daughters of
      Hoston/Hastin Day that you are talking about?

      Here are some Jackson Co. marriages

      John Holloway m. Emaline Day 25 Aug 1872
      John Holloway m. N.E. Milligan Aug 1894
      John Holloway m. Luella Tate 20 Feb 1898

      Zilpha Day m. Wiley Matthews 30 Oct 1874
      Zilpha and Wiley Matthews are on the
      1880,1900,1910 Jackson County Census.

      Emaline Day, Zilpha Day's sister is listed on the
      1860 census as aged 1, 1870 aged 8, 1880 age 20
      on all she is listed in the household of her
      father Hasten/Hoston Day. This Emaline could not
      have been the one who married John Holloway. And
      apparently neither did Zilpha Day. Zilpha Day
      Matthews died in 1938 and is buried next to Wiley
      in Jackson Co.

      John Holloway

      1860 Census Stevenson PO Township 2 Range 7 East
      Jackson Co AL
      Henry M. Roach 37 Farmer 3000.00 18,000.00 AL
      John Holaway 06 AL

      1870 Census Fackler PO Dist 6 SubDiv 1 Jackson
      Co.
      Henry Roach 47 Physician 3000 7500 AL
      Robt Holiway 10 At School AL

      1870 Census Stevenson PO Dist 1 Sub Div 1 Jackon
      Co.
      James Williams 27 Farming AL
      Emily 23 Keeping House AL
      Garland W. 3 AL
      Helen 1 AL
      John Holiway 17 Work on Farm AL
      Jane Stevens 14 Domestic Serv't TN

      No indication of what relationship Henry Roach
      has to the Holiways/Holloways.

      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 4, 2005
        Jac

        Well a good theory but doesn't square with the
        death, marriage and census records.

        The Emma/Emaline Day that married John Holloway
        maiden name is unknown if she was a widow. There
        is no marriage record of who she wed before John
        Holloway that I have found. I have not found her
        or her son Willis on the 1870 census.

        She definately is not Zilpha/Zilphia Day's sister
        as that Emaline is with her father on the 1880
        listed as age 20. This Emaline was 10 or 11 in
        1870, not exactly the right age to have a 6 year
        old son,Willis (Day?) Holloway listed as John's
        16 year old step-son on the 1880.

        Zilpha/Zilphia Day Matthews and Wiley Matthews
        are shown in a picture in their old age at the
        Matthews family website. She is listed on the
        MegaFile as buried next to Wiley.
        Alabama Deaths: Zilphs Matthews Jun 1938 Cert.
        No. 13307 Jackson Co.

        Do you have the marriage and death certificates
        for John Holloway and any of his wifes? While
        parents aren't listed on marriage certificates in
        AL, parents names and where they were born was
        asked for on death certificates in AL.

        John and Robert Holiway are not the only Holiway
        orphans apparently. There is a Greene Holloway 19
        listed on the 1860 and a Minerva Holiway 14 on
        the 1870 in Jackson Co.

        Clay
      • Lorraine Cooper

          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 5, 2005
            Lorriane

            Give me some birth dates for the Mathews and I
            will look them up and email you the images.

            The 1880 census index can be search at
            www.familysearch.org the LDS site for free but no
            images unless you have ancestry.

            I will gladly do any searches anyone wants and
            email them the images as will several others in
            this group.

            Clay
          • kathy edwards
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 5, 2005
              Lorraine
              I have bits and pieces about John Holloway
              1870 Jack Co., TN (This says Jackson Co., Tennessee)
              there was a John Holladay age 29 White Male from VA fam/page 624
              Emeline 29 F. TN
              Mariah 2 F TN

              Holladay, Thomas 29 MW Farm 600 VA
              Agnes 23 FW TN
              Joseph 16 MW TN
              Frances 6 FW TN
              Thomas 1 MW TN
              Living with them Baker, Mary A 13 FW TN

              Also probably not kin W/353 whatever that means??, was a Nesanna Hollay
              52 b. TN
              living with Jacob and Nancy A Cooper.

              My notes could be wrong (could be AL not TN) but I got at Hamilton Co. TN
              Library
              many years ago and I definitely wrote down TN. May not be kin since spelled
              Holladay but his wife was Emeline.

            • kathy edwards
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 5, 2005
                Lorraine,
                Also I have 1870 AL Census
                Holiway, John 17 M V worked on farm of James Williams

                1880 Jackson Co., AL Census

                Ed # 113, Beat #10
                90-98 Holloway, John ?? 27 or 22 AL AL AL b. 1853 or 1848
                Emma A. 36 AL GA Lic??TN
                Willis 6 AL AL AL
                Samantah 5
                George W. 4
                Katy L. 8/12 " " "

                There were more Holloways but I cannot Read them.

                Also one story you might read in an old newspaper.
                Dec. 1922 E-mail me direct for this info
                at kated35765@...

              • Lorraine Cooper

                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 5, 2005
                    Clay, I got my GMothers mixed up. My ggrandfather James Mathews or Mathis and ggrandmother both born in Mo.She was a Mariotte.I don't know her first name. Sorry about the mixup--Lorraine

                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 7, 2005
                      Clay,

                      Nope! There are no death certifiactes on my John and Zilpha here is Texas. Several of his children are buried in the same cemetery as well and I've not found death certificates on anyone who died prior to the 1940's.

                      And, I don't know when he and Emmaline ceased to be a couple or why...divorce or death. My guess is her death.

                      Thank you so much for the follow-up on this. Your information will be of help as I continue. This is my brickwall. I think what I will do now is step down to his children and try to pull birth/death info on all of them in hopes of finding certificates or registrations so I can narrow down a time period of when there was a change in wives.

                      With regard to your notation on Holloway orphans, as you saying that the John and Robert that were in the care of Henry Roach were orphans that he took in...? Would make sense...the war was raging at the time...

                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 7, 2005
                        I see a John? Holoway, 27 md to Emma A. 1880 Jackson Co., AL Census ED#113,
                        Beat #10
                        There is a John M. age 3 with Jerry Holoway in 1880 also. and in 1870 census
                        a John Holiway abe 17 wirked on farm of James Williams.
                        Also 1922 Dec. in "Progressive Age" I think, "John Holloway murdered by
                        Thornton Grey (Home at Bryant).
                        What age is your John Holloway??

                      • kathy edwards
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 7, 2005
                          P.S. - I am looking for dad of Newton Holloway. Have neve heard of his
                          middle name, maybe had none. I think Newton's Dad was Jackson (I think this
                          may be Andrew Jackson Holloway, maybe) b. GA and Emily B AL. not sure.

                          The John Holiway in 1870 Al Census was living in Bridgeport with Jame
                          Williams.

                          Also see in 1850 Jackson Co., TN Census , family 524 Holladay, John md to
                          Emeline both 29 with one child Mariah age 2. John b. VA, Emeline B. TN,
                          Mariah B. TN Looks like Bro Thomas next door b. VA too. also age 29.

                          CLAY DO YOU HAVE ANY INFO ON NEWTON HOLLOWAY, BOOTLEGGER AT LONG ISLAND AND
                          LAND ABOVE IT ON MTN.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 8, 2005
                            Kathy

                            When was Newton born?

                            Clay
                          • Gary Rogers
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 9, 2005
                              Clay,

                              Just wanted to drop a note and say that I am a quiet observer and have
                              learned a lot from your responces, and help to others on the site. Thanks
                              for all your hard work. I am related to a large number of families from
                              Jackson County, (the Sand Montain area primarily.) and am researching the
                              following families: MEDLOCK, CULPEPPER, ROGERS, SARTIN, CLAYTON, YATES,
                              BYNUM, MORTON,

                              I am searching right now on a couple problem area's in my genealogy. I am
                              trying to locate information about an ELBERT SARTIN who was in Jackson
                              County in 1840, with family in the census. His son, James Robinson Sartin
                              was born in 1839 in Jackson County and fought for the Confederacy and died
                              in 1888, in Jackson County. While the Sartins were a large family, I cant
                              find any graves for them! I understand there was a large number of them in
                              an area coming off Sand Mountain towards Scottsboro, an area called
                              "Sartin's Bend". Perhaps on the Tennessee River. Elbert Sartin recieved a
                              land grant ( in the OLD LAND RECORD BOOK OF JACKSON CO) for some service he
                              fought in (ACT of 1850?). Your recent comments on flooded cemeteries caught
                              my attention with the land located close to the Tennessee River.

                              Sincerely,
                              Gary W. Rogers
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 9, 2005
                                Gary

                                While I did not find any Sartins/Sartens on the
                                TVA Flooded Cemeteries there are several on the
                                Jackson Co. MegaFile. I am emailing both to you.

                                Your Elbert Sartin lived only 4 or 5 house away
                                from my greatgrandfather James M. Gullatt on the
                                1850.
                                The land that Elbert Sartin and James M. Gullatt
                                (and his twin Thomas J.Gullatt) received on Sand
                                Mountain was for fighting in the Flordia Indian
                                Wars.

                                Clay
                              • Gary Rogers
                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 9, 2005
                                  Clay, thanks for your help. I am corresponding with some cousins who I
                                  understand are related to the Elliots of Jackson county and they (as I
                                  believe you are) of American Indian extraction. Are you familiar with the
                                  Eliots and the option to have reservation land in Jackson County? I know
                                  this may sounds crazy, but did some of these families (of Indian heritage)
                                  fight in the Florida Indian Wars with or for the American government?

                                  Sincerely,
                                  Gary W. Rogers
                                • kathy edwards
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 10, 2005
                                    In the AL 1900 Census It shows Newton Holoway b. Mar. 1864 in AL and Dad/Mom
                                    both in GA
                                    But when he died in 1950's he said he was about 100 so I'm not so sure.
                                    Thank you,
                                    Kathy

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 11, 2005
                                      Kathy

                                      Newton Holloway

                                      1880 Jackson Co. AL
                                      Jackson Holaway 47 GA GA GA
                                      Emily 41 TN TN TN
                                      Sarah 22 AL GA TN
                                      Newton 16 AL GA TN
                                      John M. 8 TN GA TN

                                      1870 Maury Co. TN
                                      Andrew J Holloway 35 GA
                                      Emily 30 GA
                                      Sarah 12 AL
                                      Newton 8 AL

                                      1860 Rising Fawn Dade Co. GA
                                      Jackson Haloway 24 Rail Roader GA
                                      Emily 19 AL
                                      Sarah A. 2 AL

                                      1850 Gilmer Co. GA
                                      Stephen Holloway 36 NC
                                      Mary D. 32 GA
                                      Andrew J. 13 GA
                                      John M. 12
                                      Joseph W. 10
                                      William J. 8
                                      Richard S. 7
                                      Nancy A. 5
                                      Martha A. 4
                                      Lewis A. 2

                                      1850 Gilmer Co. GA
                                      Reuben Holloway 78 b. 1772 NC
                                      Nancy 61 b. 1789 SC or NC

                                      Stephen and Mary are also on the 1860/1870 and
                                      Stephen and new wife Ruth on the 1880. Stephen
                                      and Reuben are on the 1840, all Gilmer Co. GA.
                                      There are a bunch of other Holloways in Gilmer
                                      Co. apparently all kin.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 11, 2005
                                        Kathy

                                        AL Marriages
                                        Andrew J. Holloway m. Emily Warren 21 Sep 1856
                                        DeKalb Co. AL

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 11, 2005
                                          Kathy

                                          Newton Holloway m. Mary Howard 05 Feb 1893
                                          Jackson Co. AL.

                                          Clay
                                        • kathy edwards
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 12, 2005
                                            I always thought the Jackson from Dade Co was diff. because of the diff. age
                                            but I can see now since you put it out in order that it all fits. I could
                                            not read the word Newton on the 1880 Census but knew this was the right age.
                                            Newton was the only work I could not make out clearly.
                                            I thank you again. You're doing great for all of us.

                                          • kathy edwards
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Feb 12, 2005
                                              Clay,
                                              Thanks once again. You wouldnt be able to figure out who Newton Holloway md
                                              would you.
                                              That has been a mystery because she was either Mary Howard or Mary Grey.
                                              Either her or her mother was illigitimate. I cannot figure it out. Just
                                              told by older generation they didn't really know her last name.
                                              Thanks,

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Feb 13, 2005
                                                Kathy

                                                Newton Holloway m. Mary Howard 05 Feb 1893
                                                Jackson Co. AL

                                                Clay
                                              • Kathryn Swearingen
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Feb 19, 2005
                                                  Does anyone know Emily Warren's parents?

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Feb 20, 2005
                                                    Kathy

                                                    Emely(Emily) Warren is listed on the 1850 census
                                                    with apparently her mother Olive Warren in DeKalb
                                                    Co.

                                                    1850 DeKalb Co AL
                                                    Olive Warren 26 SC
                                                    Emely 11 TN
                                                    Mary Ann 9 AL
                                                    Rebecca 6 AL
                                                    William 4 AL

                                                    Olive Warren 36 Domestic b. Unknown is on the
                                                    1860 with Rebecca 15 and William 12, Head Spring
                                                    PO DeKalb Co.

                                                    On the 1870 Olive Warren 44 GA is living in a
                                                    household (Stevenson PO, Jackson Co.)with some
                                                    one but unable to determine who as there is only
                                                    a partial household listing, though checking the
                                                    children's names with the 1880 it is with Hatch
                                                    and Pollie Abbot. (only one Rufina age 6 1870 age
                                                    16 on both census)Pollie Abbot's age 38 1880
                                                    agrees with Mary Ann Warren from the 1850, Pollie
                                                    is the old nickname for Mary, just guessing.)

                                                    Olive Warren 65 Mother GA GA GA is on the 1880
                                                    living in the household of William Warren 4
                                                    houses away form Jackson and Emely Holloway. Age
                                                    probably wrong since it does not agree with the
                                                    previous census.

                                                    Rebecca Warren m. Hugh P Jones 29 Sep 1867. Could
                                                    not find any marriages for the others.

                                                    Would you like the images?