Wiley Mathews and Zelphia Day

  • prm@hiwaay.net
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 4, 2005
      Wiley was a brother to my GGgrandfather James . Wiley is buried next to his
      third wife Zelphia Day in the Matthews family cemetery in Matthews Cove on Big
      Coon Creek near Stevenson, Alabama. Go to
      http://fly.hiwaay.net/~prm/visit/visit.htm for some pictures of the cemetery.
      my Matthews line is Walker Mathis, James Mathews, William Mathews, James
      William Mathews, Charles Benjamin Matthews, Paul Richard Matthews.

      My family names are a good example of why a genealogist must look at family
      name derivatives when searching the family lines. In seven generations we have
      used three different spellings. Our name is still pronounced "Mathis" in this
      area.
    • prm@hiwaay.net
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 4, 2005
        There is a photo of Wiley and Zelphia at
        http://home.hiwaay.net/~prm/matpic/mat.htm furnished to me by some of the
        family kin from Arizona.

        Richard

        Quoting prm@...:

      • prm@hiwaay.net
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 4, 2005
          James is a very common name in the Matthews family. John Thomas Mathews, oldest
          son of Walker moved west and had some children there that may be his parent. I
          have not traced John's family out very far so I would not have their names in
          my data base. But most of the people with the last name of Mathis in Jackson
          county were related in the early days.

          Richard

          Quoting Lorraine Cooper <rubyrain@...>:

          > I wonder if we are connected? My GG and Grandfather were named James
          > Albert Mathis( Mathews) . My Grandfather married in Jackson Co. AL in
          > 1887. He was born in AL. Both his parents born in MO. I have not been
          > able to get any more info than that. Thanks Lorraine Mathis Cooper

        • Lorraine Cooper

            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 4, 2005
              Thanks, I will see if I can find out more using the info you have given. Lorraine
              James is a very common name in the Matthews family. John Thomas Mathews, oldest
              son of Walker moved west and had some children there that may be his parent. I
              have not traced John's family out very far so I would not have their names in
              my data base. But most of the people with the last name of Mathis in Jackson
              county were related in the early days.

              Richard

              Quoting Lorraine Cooper <rubyrain@...>:

              > I wonder if we are connected? My GG and Grandfather were named James
              > Albert Mathis( Mathews) . My Grandfather married in Jackson Co. AL in
              > 1887. He was born in AL. Both his parents born in MO. I have not been
              > able to get any more info than that. Thanks Lorraine Mathis Cooper

            • Matthews Joyce
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 4, 2005
                Richard -- John Thomas would be my gggrandfather any
                information you would like to have just let me know
                and also I believe you have already added my line to
                your web site come to think of it. In fact the last
                one of my Dad's ( Othiel Matthews ) brothers & sisters
                , Carl Robert Matthews , just passed away Oct 23,
                2004. Still working on where Walker Mathis came from
                and who his parents were.

                http://mail.yahoo.com