Madison Co. Records Center updates

  • leeroses@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2005
         Lots of Jackson Co. folks have roots in Madison Co. as well.
      On the Madison Co. Treasures page, Probate case files have had additions
      as has the Miscellaneous probate file. January - February 1912 marriages are
      added. Marriages 1920 - 1924 are complete and edited. There is a great photo
      of the south side of the square in 1867 that just blows me away!
           I have also added a Civil War soldier's letter addressed from Woodville
      (in Jackson Co.)
      while on the Rail Road. He was a Union officer from Wisconsin and was
      concerned about the treatment of fugitive slaves. This letter to his wife
      ended up in
      the hands of Abraham Lincoln and is now in the Library of Congress.
           The above can be found at
      http://members.aol.com/LeeRoses/mcrc.html

           The Madison Co. Records Center home page has slowly been getting a
      facelift. New to this page is an 1865 letter from Jeremiah Clemens to
      President
      Abraham Lincoln. Clemens had previously served as Alabama's U. S. Senator. He
      was
      from Madison Co. and openly opposed secession. There are also three new
      period maps and, thanks to Louise Thedford, the complete set of 36 township
      maps
      for Madison county. The History section also has new maps within the Elk Co.
      and
      Decatur Co. files. The Marriage Indexes and Bride's Indexes 1809 - 1899 are
      updated to reflect the more than 300 corrections made from found original
      volumes C and D.
           These can be viewed at:
      http://co.madison.al.us/mcrc/

           I hope each of you enjoys the above as I'm tired of typing and coding.
      Y'all come visit the Madison County Records Center. Location is third floor
      of
      the library next to the elevator.

           Terry

      Terry D. Lee
      Volunteer Webmaster - Madison Co. Records Center
      LeeRoses@...

      Rhonda Larkin
      Madison Co. Records Center Archivist
      countyrecords@...