Mega File of Jackson County Cemetery Transcriptions

  • Mark Klan
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2005
      Shirly & Interested Others -

      Last Spring I concatenated --unchanged-- all of the individual cemetery
      transcription files for Jackson County, Alabama which were then available
      in the www.rootsweb.com Jackson County folders. The individuals files were
      combined into a single text file called MegaCemJacksonAll.txt (2,616KB),
      and then compressed into a "zip" file (MegaCemJacksonAll.zip, 720KB).

      As I indicated in my original post to the Jackson County Genealogy List,
      you'll first need Winzip or a similar utility to uncompress the file.
      These are available as freeware or shareware on the internet. Then you'll
      need serious Word Processing software or a similar text editor to
      view/search the file -- I use Microsoft Word 97.

      The advantage of having all these transcriptions in one big file is that
      you can search the whole thing at once within your word processing software
      -- just enter a name and it should locate every occurrence. You'll want to
      search on variant spellings, since either the name on the headstone could
      be spelled differently than you expect, or the transcriptionist may have
      made an error.

      If you can handle a fairly large file through your internet connection by
      email, send me a request directly (**offlist**) to msk@..., and
      I'll send the file to you. (Clay also is willing to send the file to those
      who request it.) The file cannot be sent through the Jackson Genealogy
      list, so be sure and indicate what email address you want the file sent to.

      Please note the USGenWeb use restrictions on the underlying information
      which accompanies each transcription. If you want changes made to the
      underlying information, you'll have to interact with the source providers
      at USGenWeb (contact info available at rootsweb.com).

      Regards,

      Mark
      http://www.markklan.com (Acoustic Music Webtools)