Re: [jacksongenealogy] Holloway / (Day) Burke

    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 31, 2005
      Terri

      Let me add to the mystery. I am emailing you the
      1850 DeKalb Co. census image for Susanah Taylor
      32 b. TN and son Robert 2 b. AL living in the
      household of Millihak?? Massengale (female) 36 b.
      TN.

      Clay
    • kathy edwards
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 1, 2005
        I typed in "John Marion Holloway" only and got one site which says he md
        July 1919 to Gracie someone.
        Try it and see if this one maybe didn't die but moved and remarried.
        Probably not the same one though.

        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 3, 2005
          Jac

          This will only add to the puzzle.

          Your info on Zilpha and Emaline Day is very
          confusing, are these the daughters of
          Hoston/Hastin Day that you are talking about?

          Here are some Jackson Co. marriages

          John Holloway m. Emaline Day 25 Aug 1872
          John Holloway m. N.E. Milligan Aug 1894
          John Holloway m. Luella Tate 20 Feb 1898

          Zilpha Day m. Wiley Matthews 30 Oct 1874
          Zilpha and Wiley Matthews are on the
          1880,1900,1910 Jackson County Census.

          Emaline Day, Zilpha Day's sister is listed on the
          1860 census as aged 1, 1870 aged 8, 1880 age 20
          on all she is listed in the household of her
          father Hasten/Hoston Day. This Emaline could not
          have been the one who married John Holloway. And
          apparently neither did Zilpha Day. Zilpha Day
          Matthews died in 1938 and is buried next to Wiley
          in Jackson Co.

          John Holloway

          1860 Census Stevenson PO Township 2 Range 7 East
          Jackson Co AL
          Henry M. Roach 37 Farmer 3000.00 18,000.00 AL
          John Holaway 06 AL

          1870 Census Fackler PO Dist 6 SubDiv 1 Jackson
          Co.
          Henry Roach 47 Physician 3000 7500 AL
          Robt Holiway 10 At School AL

          1870 Census Stevenson PO Dist 1 Sub Div 1 Jackon
          Co.
          James Williams 27 Farming AL
          Emily 23 Keeping House AL
          Garland W. 3 AL
          Helen 1 AL
          John Holiway 17 Work on Farm AL
          Jane Stevens 14 Domestic Serv't TN

          No indication of what relationship Henry Roach
          has to the Holiways/Holloways.

          Clay
        • Jac Waters
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 4, 2005
            GOOD! You're confused now TOO!

            Everything that you have shared with me below is known to me, excep that Zilpha Day Matthews died in AL. I sure want to believe my theory in that John married the two sisters and that Zilpha is buried here in Texas. Maybe John and Wiley did a wife swap....?!?!? LOL!!!

            The Henry Roach piece in the overall puzzle if confusing as well.

            Any suggestions...?

            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 4, 2005
              Jac

              Well a good theory but doesn't square with the
              death, marriage and census records.

              The Emma/Emaline Day that married John Holloway
              maiden name is unknown if she was a widow. There
              is no marriage record of who she wed before John
              Holloway that I have found. I have not found her
              or her son Willis on the 1870 census.

              She definately is not Zilpha/Zilphia Day's sister
              as that Emaline is with her father on the 1880
              listed as age 20. This Emaline was 10 or 11 in
              1870, not exactly the right age to have a 6 year
              old son,Willis (Day?) Holloway listed as John's
              16 year old step-son on the 1880.

              Zilpha/Zilphia Day Matthews and Wiley Matthews
              are shown in a picture in their old age at the
              Matthews family website. She is listed on the
              MegaFile as buried next to Wiley.
              Alabama Deaths: Zilphs Matthews Jun 1938 Cert.
              No. 13307 Jackson Co.

              Do you have the marriage and death certificates
              for John Holloway and any of his wifes? While
              parents aren't listed on marriage certificates in
              AL, parents names and where they were born was
              asked for on death certificates in AL.

              John and Robert Holiway are not the only Holiway
              orphans apparently. There is a Greene Holloway 19
              listed on the 1860 and a Minerva Holiway 14 on
              the 1870 in Jackson Co.

              Clay
            • Lorraine Cooper

                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 5, 2005
                  Lorriane

                  Give me some birth dates for the Mathews and I
                  will look them up and email you the images.

                  The 1880 census index can be search at
                  www.familysearch.org the LDS site for free but no
                  images unless you have ancestry.

                  I will gladly do any searches anyone wants and
                  email them the images as will several others in
                  this group.

                  Clay
                • kathy edwards
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 5, 2005
                    Lorraine
                    I have bits and pieces about John Holloway
                    1870 Jack Co., TN (This says Jackson Co., Tennessee)
                    there was a John Holladay age 29 White Male from VA fam/page 624
                    Emeline 29 F. TN
                    Mariah 2 F TN

                    Holladay, Thomas 29 MW Farm 600 VA
                    Agnes 23 FW TN
                    Joseph 16 MW TN
                    Frances 6 FW TN
                    Thomas 1 MW TN
                    Living with them Baker, Mary A 13 FW TN

                    Also probably not kin W/353 whatever that means??, was a Nesanna Hollay
                    52 b. TN
                    living with Jacob and Nancy A Cooper.

                    My notes could be wrong (could be AL not TN) but I got at Hamilton Co. TN
                    Library
                    many years ago and I definitely wrote down TN. May not be kin since spelled
                    Holladay but his wife was Emeline.

                  • kathy edwards
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 5, 2005
                      Lorraine,
                      Also I have 1870 AL Census
                      Holiway, John 17 M V worked on farm of James Williams

                      1880 Jackson Co., AL Census

                      Ed # 113, Beat #10
                      90-98 Holloway, John ?? 27 or 22 AL AL AL b. 1853 or 1848
                      Emma A. 36 AL GA Lic??TN
                      Willis 6 AL AL AL
                      Samantah 5
                      George W. 4
                      Katy L. 8/12 " " "

                      There were more Holloways but I cannot Read them.

                      Also one story you might read in an old newspaper.
                      Dec. 1922 E-mail me direct for this info
                      at kated35765@...

                    • Lorraine Cooper

                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 5, 2005
                          Clay, I got my GMothers mixed up. My ggrandfather James Mathews or Mathis and ggrandmother both born in Mo.She was a Mariotte.I don't know her first name. Sorry about the mixup--Lorraine

                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 7, 2005
                            Clay,

                            Nope! There are no death certifiactes on my John and Zilpha here is Texas. Several of his children are buried in the same cemetery as well and I've not found death certificates on anyone who died prior to the 1940's.

                            And, I don't know when he and Emmaline ceased to be a couple or why...divorce or death. My guess is her death.

                            Thank you so much for the follow-up on this. Your information will be of help as I continue. This is my brickwall. I think what I will do now is step down to his children and try to pull birth/death info on all of them in hopes of finding certificates or registrations so I can narrow down a time period of when there was a change in wives.

                            With regard to your notation on Holloway orphans, as you saying that the John and Robert that were in the care of Henry Roach were orphans that he took in...? Would make sense...the war was raging at the time...

                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 7, 2005
                              I see a John? Holoway, 27 md to Emma A. 1880 Jackson Co., AL Census ED#113,
                              Beat #10
                              There is a John M. age 3 with Jerry Holoway in 1880 also. and in 1870 census
                              a John Holiway abe 17 wirked on farm of James Williams.
                              Also 1922 Dec. in "Progressive Age" I think, "John Holloway murdered by
                              Thornton Grey (Home at Bryant).
                              What age is your John Holloway??

                            • kathy edwards
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 7, 2005
                                P.S. - I am looking for dad of Newton Holloway. Have neve heard of his
                                middle name, maybe had none. I think Newton's Dad was Jackson (I think this
                                may be Andrew Jackson Holloway, maybe) b. GA and Emily B AL. not sure.

                                The John Holiway in 1870 Al Census was living in Bridgeport with Jame
                                Williams.

                                Also see in 1850 Jackson Co., TN Census , family 524 Holladay, John md to
                                Emeline both 29 with one child Mariah age 2. John b. VA, Emeline B. TN,
                                Mariah B. TN Looks like Bro Thomas next door b. VA too. also age 29.

                                CLAY DO YOU HAVE ANY INFO ON NEWTON HOLLOWAY, BOOTLEGGER AT LONG ISLAND AND
                                LAND ABOVE IT ON MTN.

                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 8, 2005
                                  Kathy

                                  When was Newton born?

                                  Clay
                                • Gary Rogers
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 9, 2005
                                    Clay,

                                    Just wanted to drop a note and say that I am a quiet observer and have
                                    learned a lot from your responces, and help to others on the site. Thanks
                                    for all your hard work. I am related to a large number of families from
                                    Jackson County, (the Sand Montain area primarily.) and am researching the
                                    following families: MEDLOCK, CULPEPPER, ROGERS, SARTIN, CLAYTON, YATES,
                                    BYNUM, MORTON,

                                    I am searching right now on a couple problem area's in my genealogy. I am
                                    trying to locate information about an ELBERT SARTIN who was in Jackson
                                    County in 1840, with family in the census. His son, James Robinson Sartin
                                    was born in 1839 in Jackson County and fought for the Confederacy and died
                                    in 1888, in Jackson County. While the Sartins were a large family, I cant
                                    find any graves for them! I understand there was a large number of them in
                                    an area coming off Sand Mountain towards Scottsboro, an area called
                                    "Sartin's Bend". Perhaps on the Tennessee River. Elbert Sartin recieved a
                                    land grant ( in the OLD LAND RECORD BOOK OF JACKSON CO) for some service he
                                    fought in (ACT of 1850?). Your recent comments on flooded cemeteries caught
                                    my attention with the land located close to the Tennessee River.

                                    Sincerely,
                                    Gary W. Rogers
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 9, 2005
                                      Gary

                                      While I did not find any Sartins/Sartens on the
                                      TVA Flooded Cemeteries there are several on the
                                      Jackson Co. MegaFile. I am emailing both to you.

                                      Your Elbert Sartin lived only 4 or 5 house away
                                      from my greatgrandfather James M. Gullatt on the
                                      1850.
                                      The land that Elbert Sartin and James M. Gullatt
                                      (and his twin Thomas J.Gullatt) received on Sand
                                      Mountain was for fighting in the Flordia Indian
                                      Wars.

                                      Clay
                                    • Gary Rogers
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 9, 2005
                                        Clay, thanks for your help. I am corresponding with some cousins who I
                                        understand are related to the Elliots of Jackson county and they (as I
                                        believe you are) of American Indian extraction. Are you familiar with the
                                        Eliots and the option to have reservation land in Jackson County? I know
                                        this may sounds crazy, but did some of these families (of Indian heritage)
                                        fight in the Florida Indian Wars with or for the American government?

                                        Sincerely,
                                        Gary W. Rogers
                                      • kathy edwards
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 10, 2005
                                          In the AL 1900 Census It shows Newton Holoway b. Mar. 1864 in AL and Dad/Mom
                                          both in GA
                                          But when he died in 1950's he said he was about 100 so I'm not so sure.
                                          Thank you,
                                          Kathy

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 11, 2005
                                            Kathy

                                            Newton Holloway

                                            1880 Jackson Co. AL
                                            Jackson Holaway 47 GA GA GA
                                            Emily 41 TN TN TN
                                            Sarah 22 AL GA TN
                                            Newton 16 AL GA TN
                                            John M. 8 TN GA TN

                                            1870 Maury Co. TN
                                            Andrew J Holloway 35 GA
                                            Emily 30 GA
                                            Sarah 12 AL
                                            Newton 8 AL

                                            1860 Rising Fawn Dade Co. GA
                                            Jackson Haloway 24 Rail Roader GA
                                            Emily 19 AL
                                            Sarah A. 2 AL

                                            1850 Gilmer Co. GA
                                            Stephen Holloway 36 NC
                                            Mary D. 32 GA
                                            Andrew J. 13 GA
                                            John M. 12
                                            Joseph W. 10
                                            William J. 8
                                            Richard S. 7
                                            Nancy A. 5
                                            Martha A. 4
                                            Lewis A. 2

                                            1850 Gilmer Co. GA
                                            Reuben Holloway 78 b. 1772 NC
                                            Nancy 61 b. 1789 SC or NC

                                            Stephen and Mary are also on the 1860/1870 and
                                            Stephen and new wife Ruth on the 1880. Stephen
                                            and Reuben are on the 1840, all Gilmer Co. GA.
                                            There are a bunch of other Holloways in Gilmer
                                            Co. apparently all kin.

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Feb 11, 2005
                                              Kathy

                                              AL Marriages
                                              Andrew J. Holloway m. Emily Warren 21 Sep 1856
                                              DeKalb Co. AL

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Feb 11, 2005
                                                Kathy

                                                Newton Holloway m. Mary Howard 05 Feb 1893
                                                Jackson Co. AL.

                                                Clay
                                              • kathy edwards
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Feb 12, 2005
                                                  I always thought the Jackson from Dade Co was diff. because of the diff. age
                                                  but I can see now since you put it out in order that it all fits. I could
                                                  not read the word Newton on the 1880 Census but knew this was the right age.
                                                  Newton was the only work I could not make out clearly.
                                                  I thank you again. You're doing great for all of us.

                                                • kathy edwards
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Feb 12, 2005
                                                    Clay,
                                                    Thanks once again. You wouldnt be able to figure out who Newton Holloway md
                                                    would you.
                                                    That has been a mystery because she was either Mary Howard or Mary Grey.
                                                    Either her or her mother was illigitimate. I cannot figure it out. Just
                                                    told by older generation they didn't really know her last name.
                                                    Thanks,

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Feb 13, 2005
                                                      Kathy

                                                      Newton Holloway m. Mary Howard 05 Feb 1893
                                                      Jackson Co. AL

                                                      Clay
                                                    • Kathryn Swearingen
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Feb 19, 2005
                                                        Does anyone know Emily Warren's parents?

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Feb 20, 2005
                                                          Kathy

                                                          Emely(Emily) Warren is listed on the 1850 census
                                                          with apparently her mother Olive Warren in DeKalb
                                                          Co.

                                                          1850 DeKalb Co AL
                                                          Olive Warren 26 SC
                                                          Emely 11 TN
                                                          Mary Ann 9 AL
                                                          Rebecca 6 AL
                                                          William 4 AL

                                                          Olive Warren 36 Domestic b. Unknown is on the
                                                          1860 with Rebecca 15 and William 12, Head Spring
                                                          PO DeKalb Co.

                                                          On the 1870 Olive Warren 44 GA is living in a
                                                          household (Stevenson PO, Jackson Co.)with some
                                                          one but unable to determine who as there is only
                                                          a partial household listing, though checking the
                                                          children's names with the 1880 it is with Hatch
                                                          and Pollie Abbot. (only one Rufina age 6 1870 age
                                                          16 on both census)Pollie Abbot's age 38 1880
                                                          agrees with Mary Ann Warren from the 1850, Pollie
                                                          is the old nickname for Mary, just guessing.)

                                                          Olive Warren 65 Mother GA GA GA is on the 1880
                                                          living in the household of William Warren 4
                                                          houses away form Jackson and Emely Holloway. Age
                                                          probably wrong since it does not agree with the
                                                          previous census.

                                                          Rebecca Warren m. Hugh P Jones 29 Sep 1867. Could
                                                          not find any marriages for the others.

                                                          Would you like the images?