Jackson County Heritage Society

  • akinsron
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 30, 2005
      Hi Clay, I need their phone number. Ron Akins
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 31, 2005
        Ron

        Not sure exactly which of these you want so
        sending both

        Scottsboro-Jackson County Heritage Center
        208 S. Houston St.
        PO Box 53
        Scottsboro, AL 35768
        PH: 205-259-2122
        Email: heritage@...

        The Heritage Center is not open during the
        winter, open Apr thru Oct so don't know if anyone
        is there now. Try emailing them or you can ask on
        the group as someone from there usually monitors
        the group mail.

        Jackson County Historical Ass.
        PO Box 1494
        Scottsboro, AL 35768-1494
        Ann Chambless is the head her email:
        abc123@...
        don't have a phone no. for them

        What info are you looking for from them?

        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 31, 2005
          Here is a link to another listing of Jackson
          County cemeteries. While there is no listing of
          surnames for the cemeteries there are many more
          cemeteries than in the MegaFile listing. There is
          a link at the site that will take you to a map
          locating the cemetery in Jackson Co.

          http://www.accessgenealogy.com/cemetery/alabama/jackson.htm

          Many are family cemeteries, also there is the
          location of the Pauper's Cemetery on Poorhouse
          Mountain, this must be near the County Poorhouse
          that was owned and operated by Thomas Jefferson
          Gullatt.

          wwww.accessgenealogy.com is a listing of free
          genealogy sources you might want to visit their
          main website to see what is available.

          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 31, 2005
            There is a link to the surnames at this site.
            Should have said there is no listing of surnames
            at the map site.

            Clay
          • heritage@scottsboro.org
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 31, 2005

            • heritage@scottsboro.org
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 31, 2005
                Dear Clay, Please note that the Scottsboro-Jackson Heritage Center is
                not closed during the Winter months. We are open year round-Monday
                through Friday from 11:00 AM until 4:00 PM. We are here for genealogy
                only on Monday. We do tours and genealogy Tues. through Friday.

                We also have a bookstore that sells current publications: We also mail
                out our books on a prepaid basis. Our phone # is 256-259-2122 our
                e-mail address is heritage@...

                Titles available:
                A Pictorial Walk through Ol' High Jackson/Walt Hammer
                History of Jackson County/Kennamer
                The Stevenson Story/Woodall
                Belmont Coal Mines of Jackson County,Alabama/LewisW.Page
                Scottsboro~A Tragedy of the American South/Carter
                Dusty (Carter) and Ravelings/Bob Hodges
                Lay Down with Dogs/Byron Woodfin
                Growing Up Hard/Ron Dykes

                Please call us if we can be any assistance.

                Judi Weaver, Director

              • heritage@scottsboro.org
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 31, 2005

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 31, 2005
                    Judi

                    Was going by what was on the website. Glad to see
                    you are year round.

                    Clay
                  • heritage@scottsboro.org
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 31, 2005
                      Clay, Need to know which web site you are referring. Need to make
                      someone aware of the discrepancy. Thanks.... Judi

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 31, 2005
                        Judi

                        www.stepintohistory.com

                        A guide to Living History Museums in the US.

                        Clay
                      • Mark Klan
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 31, 2005
                          Thanks for the cemetery link, Clay. As you know, I assembled the Jackson
                          County Cemeteries "MegaFile" this past Spring. (All the real work was done
                          by the people who did the cemetery transcriptions and created the original
                          files.) I appreciate you making it available to folks.

                          I believe I included all the cemetery transcriptions on the Rootsweb
                          internet site *which listed one or more names of people buried at the
                          cemetery*. If the site at
                          http://www.accessgenealogy.com/cemetery/alabama/jackson.htm contains
                          cemeteries with surnames that have been excluded from the MegaFile, anyone
                          who notices this please let me know the specific cemeteries and I'll revise
                          the MegaFile. (I did a very quick spot check and didn't see any myself.)

                          Thanks in advance. By the way, for the people who don't know what we're
                          talking about, the Jackson County Cemetery MegaFile allows you to search
                          for names across all the cemetery transcriptions in a single (big) file. I
                          found it very helpful to not have to search them all individually every
                          time I wanted info on a new name.

                          Mark
                          msk@...

                          clay gullatt wrote:
                          > Here is a link to another listing of Jackson
                          > County cemeteries. While there is no listing of
                          > surnames for the cemeteries there are many more
                          > cemeteries than in the MegaFile listing. There is
                          > a link at the site that will take you to a map
                          > locating the cemetery in Jackson Co.
                          >
                          > http://www.accessgenealogy.com/cemetery/alabama/jackson.htm
                          >
                          > Many are family cemeteries, also there is the
                          > location of the Pauper's Cemetery on Poorhouse
                          > Mountain, this must be near the County Poorhouse
                          > that was owned and operated by Thomas Jefferson
                          > Gullatt.
                          >
                          > wwww.accessgenealogy.com is a listing of free
                          > genealogy sources you might want to visit their
                          > main website to see what is available.
                          >
                          > Clay
                        • Ann B. Chambless
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 31, 2005
                            I am most grateful to Mark Klan and Clay Gullatt for cemetery listings as
                            well as other helpful genealogical tools.
                            I do have one request of Mark, IF dealing with my request is possible.
                            The person who transcribed the grave marker for
                          • Ann B. Chambless
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 31, 2005
                              I am most grateful to Mark Klan and Clay Gullatt for cemetery listings as
                              well as other helpful genealogical tools.
                              I do have one request of Mark.....IF dealing with my request is possible.
                              The person who transcribed the grave marker for Sarah Alvena Finley buried
                              in Old Bellefonte Cemetery next to her father, Col. Alva Finley,
                              inadvertently misread little Sarah Alvena Finley's date of death as 1812.
                              Her death date was actually 1842. The 1842 death date has been verified by
                              a Finley family researcher. PLUS, logic tells us that if her father was
                              born in 1805, there is no way daughter Sarah Alvena could have been born in
                              1812.

                              This error has caused several people to assume old Bellefonte was settled
                              and/or occupied by white families by 1812 which is a grave error. In
                              1819, James Riley, the head of a Cherokee family, chose this area for his
                              reservation and received 640 acres in fee simple, which means he was at
                              liberty to sell his 640-acre reservation. About 1821-1822, James Riley
                              sold his reservation to Stephen Carter and George Washington Higgins, and
                              Carter and Higgins began selling lots in the town they developed as
                              Bellefonte.
                              Alva Finley does not appear on the 1830 Jackson County, AL census.
                            • Ann B. Chambless

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 31, 2005
                                  I am most grateful to Mark Klan and Clay Gullatt for cemetery listings as
                                  well as other helpful genealogical tools.

                                  I do have one request of Mark.....IF dealing with my request is possible.
                                  The person who transcribed the grave marker for Sarah Alvena Finley buried
                                  in Old Bellefonte Cemetery next to her father, Col. Alva Finley,
                                  inadvertently misread little Sarah Alvena Finley's date of death as 1812.
                                  Her death date was actually 1842. The 1842 death date has been verified by
                                  a Finley family researcher. PLUS, logic tells us that if her father was
                                  born in 1805, there is no way his daughter Sarah Alvena could have died in
                                  1812 at the age of 5 years, 10 months, and 2 days.

                                  This error has caused several people to assume old Bellefonte was settled
                                  and/or occupied by white families by 1812 which is a grave error. In
                                  1819, James Riley, the head of a Cherokee family, chose this area for his
                                  reservation, received in fee simple, which means he was at liberty to sell
                                  his 640-acre reservation. About 1821-1822, James Riley sold his
                                  reservation to Stephen Carter and George Washington Higgins, and Carter and
                                  Higgins began selling lots in the town they developed as Bellefonte.
                                  Alva Finley does NOT appear in Jackson County, AL census records until
                                  1840. The 1840 census shows Alva Finley had a daughter under 5 years of
                                  age. Finley researchers think this child was Sarah Alvena who died in
                                  843 - NOT in 1812 as shown on the cemetery record which I would very much
                                  like to see changed.
                                  Thanks!
                                  Ann B. Chambless
                                • Ann B. Chambless

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 31, 2005
                                      Mark

                                      The cemeteries I was talking about are on the map
                                      link at the accessgenealogy site. I did a
                                      comparison of the transciptions and the map list
                                      and its seems there are many family cemeteries
                                      that have not been listed before. I had never
                                      heard of the Pauper's Cemetery atop Poorhouse
                                      Mountain for one and wonder if anyone else had.
                                      There are many cemeteries on the transcription
                                      list that are not on the map list. Also the map
                                      list ends with Shipp.

                                      I know that the people who went out in all kinds
                                      of weather braving the dangers of copperheads,
                                      rattlesnakes and Lord knows what else are the
                                      ones who deserve all our thanks and gratitude for
                                      transcribing the cemetery lists.

                                      Clay
                                    • Mark Klan
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 31, 2005
                                        Thanks for the clarification, Clay. ~Mark

                                        clay gullatt wrote:

                                        > Mark
                                        >
                                        > The cemeteries I was talking about are on the map
                                        > link at the accessgenealogy site. I did a
                                        > comparison of the transciptions and the map list
                                        > and its seems there are many family cemeteries
                                        > that have not been listed before. I had never
                                        > heard of the Pauper's Cemetery atop Poorhouse
                                        > Mountain for one and wonder if anyone else had.
                                        > There are many cemeteries on the transcription
                                        > list that are not on the map list. Also the map
                                        > list ends with Shipp.
                                        >
                                        > I know that the people who went out in all kinds
                                        > of weather braving the dangers of copperheads,
                                        > rattlesnakes and Lord knows what else are the
                                        > ones who deserve all our thanks and gratitude for
                                        > transcribing the cemetery lists.
                                        >
                                        > Clay
                                        >

                                        > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Give
                                        > the gift of life to a sick child. Support St. Jude Children's Research
                                        > Hospital's 'Thanks & Giving.'
                                        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/_HGP.B/6WnJAA/a8ILAA/FvNolB/TM

                                      • Mark Klan
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 31, 2005
                                          Ann B. Chambless wrote: {snip}
                                          > I do have one request of Mark.....IF dealing with my request is possible.
                                          > The person who transcribed the grave marker for Sarah Alvena Finley buried
                                          > in Old Bellefonte Cemetery next to her father, Col. Alva Finley,
                                          > inadvertently misread little Sarah Alvena Finley's date of death as 1812.
                                          > Her death date was actually 1842. {snip}

                                          Ann -

                                          All I did was group existing files without modification -- hoping to not
                                          violate the USGenWeb usage restrictions. What really needs to be addressed
                                          is the "official" file on Old Bellefonte Cemetery, Jackson, Alabama:

                                          ***********
                                          ftp://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/al/jackson/cemeteries/oldbellefonte.txt
                                          It is part of the USGenWeb Archives.
                                          ALGenWeb Archive File Manager - Carolyn Golowka <cgolowka@...>.
                                          Contributed by Jane Nichols, <ren@...> February 2000.

                                          The Alabama contacts web page is:
                                          http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/al/contacts.htm
                                          *********

                                          I suggest you write Ms. Golowka and Ms. Nichols and present your case
                                          regarding changes to the USGenWeb data for Old Bellefonte Cemetery.

                                          Mark
                                          http://www.markklan.com (Acoustic Music Webtools)
                                          msk@...
                                          msk@...
                                        • heritage@scottsboro.org
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 1 1:47 PM
                                            Clay, This web site has not be updated in years. The Chamber and I are
                                            trying either to get them to update or delete the information they have
                                            for the Heritage Center. The State Bureau of Tourism and Travel does
                                            have the correct data. I'm glad you brought this to my attention.
                                            Judi Weaver

                                            clay gullatt wrote:

                                            >Judi
                                            >
                                            >www.stepintohistory.com
                                            >
                                            >A guide to Living History Museums in the US.
                                            >
                                            >Clay
                                            >

                                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          • kathy edwards
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 1 2:31 PM
                                              I would like to have the megafile of cemeteries also
                                              kated35765@...

                                              Need Coffee Cemetery which is below Flat Rock AL , left off 117.

                                              Thanks

                                            • ShirlyWms@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Feb 1 7:06 PM
                                                How do I get the Jackson County cemetery MegaFile? I guess I missed the
                                                beginning of this discussion somehow, but it sounds very useful.
                                                Thanks,
                                                Shirly Williams

                                              • mary haynes
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Feb 3 10:05 AM
                                                  Hello: Noticed where you keep several books about the local area on hand for sale. Would you like me to send you a dozen or two of the book I recently had published, Fergusons and Finchers of Jackson Co, AL, and beyond? I sell them for $29.95 which includes packaging and postage, but since I would be paying the postage to send them to you, the books would sell for $25.00. I also thot of asking the S'boro Library if they wanted to do the same but haven't gotten around to it yet.
                                                  Am getting boxes of books together to donate to the Rainsville Library. Pisgah was going to get one started but they didn't have sufficient space for what I'm collecting. Hope to have a "big pick-up" truck load when we come hopefully in late Mar to be sure we don't hit any bad weather. I'll have to pay someone to bring them as I don't have a truck of my own.
                                                  Thank you, Mary Nell Ferguson

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Feb 3 9:41 PM
                                                    Ann thank you for correcting this mistake. Col Alva Finley was my gg uncle.
                                                    His brother WL Finley was my ggrandfather. Anyone having any info on this
                                                    family I would appreciate it. Thanks Carole Finley Davis

                                                  • Heritage Center
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Feb 7 11:12 AM
                                                      Dear Mary Nell, We would love to have a few of your books on consignment.
                                                      We would be willing to return payment to you. You can specify a certain
                                                      amt. of time you would be willing to leave them with us.
                                                      I don't think I could use more than a doz. or so at a time. We are really
                                                      stretched to the limit for storage. Would we get a small percentage for
                                                      carrying the book for you? Let me know, Judi Weaver P. S. We have enjoyed
                                                      the book that we ordered from you-you did a great job!
> [...]
                                                      > >

                                                      > > clay gullatt wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > >>Ron
                                                      > >>
                                                      > >>Not sure exactly which of these you want so
                                                      > >>sending both
                                                      > >>
                                                      > >>Scottsboro-Jackson County Heritage Center
                                                      > >>208 S. Houston St.
                                                      > >>PO Box 53
                                                      > >>Scottsboro, AL 35768
                                                      > >>PH: 205-259-2122
                                                      > >>Email: heritage@...
                                                      > >>
                                                      > >>The Heritage Center is not open during the
                                                      > >>winter, open Apr thru Oct so don't know if anyone
                                                      > >>is there now. Try emailing them or you can ask on
                                                      > >>the group as someone from there usually monitors
                                                      > >>the group mail.
                                                      > >>
                                                      > >>Jackson County Historical Ass.
                                                      > >>PO Box 1494
                                                      > >>Scottsboro, AL 35768-1494
                                                      > >>Ann Chambless is the head her email:
                                                      > >>abc123@...
                                                      > >>don't have a phone no. for them
                                                      > >>
                                                      > >>What info are you looking for from them?

                                                    • mary haynes

> [...]
                                                        > >

                                                        > > clay gullatt wrote:
                                                        > >
                                                        > >>Ron
                                                        > >>
                                                        > >>Not sure exactly which of these you want so
                                                        > >>sending both
                                                        > >>
                                                        > >>Scottsboro-Jackson County Heritage Center
                                                        > >>208 S. Houston St.
                                                        > >>PO Box 53
                                                        > >>Scottsboro, AL 35768
                                                        > >>PH: 205-259-2122
                                                        > >>Email: heritage@...
                                                        > >>
                                                        > >>The Heritage Center is not open during the
                                                        > >>winter, open Apr thru Oct so don't know if anyone
                                                        > >>is there now. Try emailing them or you can ask on
                                                        > >>the group as someone from there usually monitors
                                                        > >>the group mail.
                                                        > >>
                                                        > >>Jackson County Historical Ass.
                                                        > >>PO Box 1494
                                                        > >>Scottsboro, AL 35768-1494
                                                        > >>Ann Chambless is the head her email:
                                                        > >>abc123@...
                                                        > >>don't have a phone no. for them
                                                        > >>
                                                        > >>What info are you looking for from them?

                                                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                                                        document.write('');