Re: [jacksongenealogy] genealogy search

  • Joy Smith
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
      Hi Diann,
      Rudder Funeral Home Stevenson is on old hwy 72, now Alabama road 277. Do you happen to recall North Jackson High School while you were here? It's on that road.
      If you'll email me privately, I'll send you some phone #'s of people who might be able to help.
      Walter Cole was a precious soul. He came to the Dr I worked for, was ever the gentleman.
      My email is joy0420@.... Email me there and I'll get you some #'s together. Joy
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
        Diann

        Another source you might want to search is the
        Freedmen's Bank and the Freedmen's Bureau. The
        records of the Freedmen's Bank is available as a
        CD-ROM from www.familysearch.org the LDS site.
        They are also available at the National Archives
        and at their regional offices.
        The Freedmen's Bank was in existence from 1865 to
        1874 and had over 70,000 depositors when it
        closed.

        Since most depositors could not read or write
        they were asked for personal identifying
        information. Questions could include: name, age,
        date and place of birth, name of parents, spouse,
        children, siblings, height, complexion, former
        master's name, plantation, occupation, employer.
        Not all questions were asked of everyone but as a
        result of these questions there is information in
        the files of over 480,000 African Americans.

        The records of the Freedmen's Bureau are being
        scanned at the National Archives at this time.

        Clay
      • Diann Thompson