Re: [jacksongenealogy] genealogy search

  • Diann Thompson
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
      Hi Joy,
      Thanks for the response. I would love to go to Rudder. Are they on the same street as the Library? I have only been to Stevenson 3 times in my life and really loved it there. Walter Cole was my mother's cousin. Is Rudder Funeral home located close to the Library?
      I visited Stevenson in 2000 and went to the Morningstar Baptist Church. It was closed but the sign stated this church was recently built. There was an older MBC.
      I am planning to come in June and stay about a week. Can't wait to get back there.
      Diann
      Joy Smith <joy0420@...> wrote:
      Diann,
      I think when you come to Jackson Co, I would personally visit Rudder's Funeral Home. There are some really nice folks there who will help you out, I'm sure, if the records are available. Also, you might think about making a visit to Morning Star Church. I would be willing to bet there are some very helpful people there, too.
      I remember a Walter Cole who worked for Newton Guess' farm equipment for many years. He died a year or two ago, and was a really nice gentleman. Family of yours?
      When is your trip? Joy in Stevenson, AL
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
        Clay,
        Welcome back. Thanks you for the information. Now a dumb question, is the Heritage Center in Stevenson or Scottsboro? I would love to see that document.
        Diann

        clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:
        Diann

        There was a special census taken at the end of
        the Civil War. It lists heads of households both
        white and black by name and the other members of
        the household by age group. This census should be
        available at the Heritage Center. I know of no
        place on line when Jackson County's is listed.

        You may also want to check wills and settlements
        of estates, many times the slaves where listed in
        them.

        In the settlement of my Great-great grandmother
        Catherine Gullatt's estate are listed her slaves
        Burt, Peggy and their son Wash. There were other
        children never could figure out why they were not
        listed. They were bought by her oldest son
        William Gullatt for $1800 in gold and silver cash
        in hand.

        I have found researching my African American
        relatives the most difficult searches ever.

        After checking the 1865 census you might compare
        it with the 1870 census and the 1860/50 slave
        schedules both slaves and owners. There are only
        5 Williams listed as slave owners on the 1860 so
        it should not be too difficult to find her
        father.

        Also check out the transfers of land, though this
        may require the hiring of a title attorney.

        If you could not find your relatives in all the
        census I have all three of the genealogy services
        and will be glad to do lookups for who ever
        requests. I do ask that you provide as much info
        as possible. The old 4 w's that we learned in
        school Who, What, Where and When if they are
        known.This is especially true if it is a common
        name.

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
          Diann

          The Heritage Center is in Scottsboro their email
          is heritage@.... Another excellent
          contact is the head of the Jackson County
          Historical Society Ann Chambless at
          abc123@... she is the expert on
          Jackson County.

          Not sure but I think the 1865 Special Census is
          at the Heritage Center, a cousin sent me the data
          on the Gullatts, don't remember whether he said
          he got it from the Heritage Center or the
          Courthouse. You need to visit both in any case.

          Another project that is in the works at Alabama
          Dept. of Achrives and History is the 1867 Voter
          Registration Rolls for each county. They are
          putting them on the internet, so far only two
          counties Wilcox and Winston. I do not know if
          each county has a copy of the rolls or not, check
          at the Heritage Center. Here is a link to the
          rolls
          http://www.archives.state.al.us/voterreg/index.cfm

          For hours of reading go to
          http:www.archives.state.al.us/ click on: For
          Genealogists and Historians.

          Clay
        • Joy Smith
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
            Hi Diann,
            Rudder Funeral Home Stevenson is on old hwy 72, now Alabama road 277. Do you happen to recall North Jackson High School while you were here? It's on that road.
            If you'll email me privately, I'll send you some phone #'s of people who might be able to help.
            Walter Cole was a precious soul. He came to the Dr I worked for, was ever the gentleman.
            My email is joy0420@.... Email me there and I'll get you some #'s together. Joy

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
              Diann

              Another source you might want to search is the
              Freedmen's Bank and the Freedmen's Bureau. The
              records of the Freedmen's Bank is available as a
              CD-ROM from www.familysearch.org the LDS site.
              They are also available at the National Archives
              and at their regional offices.
              The Freedmen's Bank was in existence from 1865 to
              1874 and had over 70,000 depositors when it
              closed.

              Since most depositors could not read or write
              they were asked for personal identifying
              information. Questions could include: name, age,
              date and place of birth, name of parents, spouse,
              children, siblings, height, complexion, former
              master's name, plantation, occupation, employer.
              Not all questions were asked of everyone but as a
              result of these questions there is information in
              the files of over 480,000 African Americans.

              The records of the Freedmen's Bureau are being
              scanned at the National Archives at this time.

              Clay
            • Diann Thompson