RE: [jacksongenealogy] genealogy searches/lookups

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 4, 2005
      One additional thing when listing your relatives
      for lookups please no actual birth dates for
      living persons. That is just asking for trouble.
      Give just the year, no day or month.

      Clay
    • Diann Thompson
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
        Hi Joy,
        Thanks for the response. I would love to go to Rudder. Are they on the same street as the Library? I have only been to Stevenson 3 times in my life and really loved it there. Walter Cole was my mother's cousin. Is Rudder Funeral home located close to the Library?
        I visited Stevenson in 2000 and went to the Morningstar Baptist Church. It was closed but the sign stated this church was recently built. There was an older MBC.
        I am planning to come in June and stay about a week. Can't wait to get back there.
        Diann
        Joy Smith <joy0420@...> wrote:
        Diann,
        I think when you come to Jackson Co, I would personally visit Rudder's Funeral Home. There are some really nice folks there who will help you out, I'm sure, if the records are available. Also, you might think about making a visit to Morning Star Church. I would be willing to bet there are some very helpful people there, too.
        I remember a Walter Cole who worked for Newton Guess' farm equipment for many years. He died a year or two ago, and was a really nice gentleman. Family of yours?
        When is your trip? Joy in Stevenson, AL
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
          Clay,
          Welcome back. Thanks you for the information. Now a dumb question, is the Heritage Center in Stevenson or Scottsboro? I would love to see that document.
          Diann

          clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:
          Diann

          There was a special census taken at the end of
          the Civil War. It lists heads of households both
          white and black by name and the other members of
          the household by age group. This census should be
          available at the Heritage Center. I know of no
          place on line when Jackson County's is listed.

          You may also want to check wills and settlements
          of estates, many times the slaves where listed in
          them.

          In the settlement of my Great-great grandmother
          Catherine Gullatt's estate are listed her slaves
          Burt, Peggy and their son Wash. There were other
          children never could figure out why they were not
          listed. They were bought by her oldest son
          William Gullatt for $1800 in gold and silver cash
          in hand.

          I have found researching my African American
          relatives the most difficult searches ever.

          After checking the 1865 census you might compare
          it with the 1870 census and the 1860/50 slave
          schedules both slaves and owners. There are only
          5 Williams listed as slave owners on the 1860 so
          it should not be too difficult to find her
          father.

          Also check out the transfers of land, though this
          may require the hiring of a title attorney.

          If you could not find your relatives in all the
          census I have all three of the genealogy services
          and will be glad to do lookups for who ever
          requests. I do ask that you provide as much info
          as possible. The old 4 w's that we learned in
          school Who, What, Where and When if they are
          known.This is especially true if it is a common
          name.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
            Diann

            The Heritage Center is in Scottsboro their email
            is heritage@.... Another excellent
            contact is the head of the Jackson County
            Historical Society Ann Chambless at
            abc123@... she is the expert on
            Jackson County.

            Not sure but I think the 1865 Special Census is
            at the Heritage Center, a cousin sent me the data
            on the Gullatts, don't remember whether he said
            he got it from the Heritage Center or the
            Courthouse. You need to visit both in any case.

            Another project that is in the works at Alabama
            Dept. of Achrives and History is the 1867 Voter
            Registration Rolls for each county. They are
            putting them on the internet, so far only two
            counties Wilcox and Winston. I do not know if
            each county has a copy of the rolls or not, check
            at the Heritage Center. Here is a link to the
            rolls
            http://www.archives.state.al.us/voterreg/index.cfm

            For hours of reading go to
            http:www.archives.state.al.us/ click on: For
            Genealogists and Historians.

            Clay
          • Joy Smith
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
              Hi Diann,
              Rudder Funeral Home Stevenson is on old hwy 72, now Alabama road 277. Do you happen to recall North Jackson High School while you were here? It's on that road.
              If you'll email me privately, I'll send you some phone #'s of people who might be able to help.
              Walter Cole was a precious soul. He came to the Dr I worked for, was ever the gentleman.
              My email is joy0420@.... Email me there and I'll get you some #'s together. Joy

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                Diann

                Another source you might want to search is the
                Freedmen's Bank and the Freedmen's Bureau. The
                records of the Freedmen's Bank is available as a
                CD-ROM from www.familysearch.org the LDS site.
                They are also available at the National Archives
                and at their regional offices.
                The Freedmen's Bank was in existence from 1865 to
                1874 and had over 70,000 depositors when it
                closed.

                Since most depositors could not read or write
                they were asked for personal identifying
                information. Questions could include: name, age,
                date and place of birth, name of parents, spouse,
                children, siblings, height, complexion, former
                master's name, plantation, occupation, employer.
                Not all questions were asked of everyone but as a
                result of these questions there is information in
                the files of over 480,000 African Americans.

                The records of the Freedmen's Bureau are being
                scanned at the National Archives at this time.

                Clay
              • Diann Thompson