RE: [jacksongenealogy] genealogy search

  • kathy hallman
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 31, 2004
      Sorry that you seem not to get a response from Rudder Funeral Home they are very helpful to me when I call. All of their main records are at the Stevenson location. They do not have anything but accounting records before 1930 or 1940 if the death was before then about all they can tell you is the name of the deceased, the death date or date the coffin was bought and who bought it. They did not keep detailed records such as mother and father name and where they were born until after then. Try to speak with Terrie if at all possible she is the lady that handles most of the paper work. Hope this helps.
      Kathy

      Regina <rgpipes@...> wrote:
      Sorry I can not be more help. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a reply
      from Rudder Funeral home. I doubt if you ever get a reply. A simple we
      have no records or we can't help would be nice but guess they are in it for
      the money only and a letter to you would not make them any. I'm afraid
      there is a lot in Jackson county like that. I did find three COLE'S buried
      in a Stevenson cemetery.

      Good luck in your research. You may want to visit the Heritage center in
      Scottsboro. I have never been there but hope to soon. They seem very
      helpful.
      Thanks

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
        Diann,
        I think when you come to Jackson Co, I would personally visit Rudder's Funeral Home. There are some really nice folks there who will help you out, I'm sure, if the records are available. Also, you might think about making a visit to Morning Star Church. I would be willing to bet there are some very helpful people there, too.
        I remember a Walter Cole who worked for Newton Guess' farm equipment for many years. He died a year or two ago, and was a really nice gentleman. Family of yours?
        When is your trip? Joy in Stevenson, AL

        I will be coming to Stevenson/Scottsboro sometime in June. I have been to
        the Scottsboro Public Library and was completely lost. I had family in
        Stevenson, but have come up against the slavery issue. Yikes!!!

        Can anyone direct me? Thanking you in advance

        Diann

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/FvNolB/TM

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 4, 2005
          Diann

          There was a special census taken at the end of
          the Civil War. It lists heads of households both
          white and black by name and the other members of
          the household by age group. This census should be
          available at the Heritage Center. I know of no
          place on line when Jackson County's is listed.

          You may also want to check wills and settlements
          of estates, many times the slaves where listed in
          them.

          In the settlement of my Great-great grandmother
          Catherine Gullatt's estate are listed her slaves
          Burt, Peggy and their son Wash. There were other
          children never could figure out why they were not
          listed. They were bought by her oldest son
          William Gullatt for $1800 in gold and silver cash
          in hand.

          I have found researching my African American
          relatives the most difficult searches ever.

          After checking the 1865 census you might compare
          it with the 1870 census and the 1860/50 slave
          schedules both slaves and owners. There are only
          5 Williams listed as slave owners on the 1860 so
          it should not be too difficult to find her
          father.

          Also check out the transfers of land, though this
          may require the hiring of a title attorney.

          If you could not find your relatives in all the
          census I have all three of the genealogy services
          and will be glad to do lookups for who ever
          requests. I do ask that you provide as much info
          as possible. The old 4 w's that we learned in
          school Who, What, Where and When if they are
          known.This is especially true if it is a common
          name.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 4, 2005
            One additional thing when listing your relatives
            for lookups please no actual birth dates for
            living persons. That is just asking for trouble.
            Give just the year, no day or month.

            Clay
          • Diann Thompson
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
              Hi Joy,
              Thanks for the response. I would love to go to Rudder. Are they on the same street as the Library? I have only been to Stevenson 3 times in my life and really loved it there. Walter Cole was my mother's cousin. Is Rudder Funeral home located close to the Library?
              I visited Stevenson in 2000 and went to the Morningstar Baptist Church. It was closed but the sign stated this church was recently built. There was an older MBC.
              I am planning to come in June and stay about a week. Can't wait to get back there.
              Diann

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                  Diann

                  The Heritage Center is in Scottsboro their email
                  is heritage@.... Another excellent
                  contact is the head of the Jackson County
                  Historical Society Ann Chambless at
                  abc123@... she is the expert on
                  Jackson County.

                  Not sure but I think the 1865 Special Census is
                  at the Heritage Center, a cousin sent me the data
                  on the Gullatts, don't remember whether he said
                  he got it from the Heritage Center or the
                  Courthouse. You need to visit both in any case.

                  Another project that is in the works at Alabama
                  Dept. of Achrives and History is the 1867 Voter
                  Registration Rolls for each county. They are
                  putting them on the internet, so far only two
                  counties Wilcox and Winston. I do not know if
                  each county has a copy of the rolls or not, check
                  at the Heritage Center. Here is a link to the
                  rolls
                  http://www.archives.state.al.us/voterreg/index.cfm

                  For hours of reading go to
                  http:www.archives.state.al.us/ click on: For
                  Genealogists and Historians.

                  Clay
                • Joy Smith
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                    Hi Diann,
                    Rudder Funeral Home Stevenson is on old hwy 72, now Alabama road 277. Do you happen to recall North Jackson High School while you were here? It's on that road.
                    If you'll email me privately, I'll send you some phone #'s of people who might be able to help.
                    Walter Cole was a precious soul. He came to the Dr I worked for, was ever the gentleman.
                    My email is joy0420@.... Email me there and I'll get you some #'s together. Joy

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                      Diann

                      Another source you might want to search is the
                      Freedmen's Bank and the Freedmen's Bureau. The
                      records of the Freedmen's Bank is available as a
                      CD-ROM from www.familysearch.org the LDS site.
                      They are also available at the National Archives
                      and at their regional offices.
                      The Freedmen's Bank was in existence from 1865 to
                      1874 and had over 70,000 depositors when it
                      closed.

                      Since most depositors could not read or write
                      they were asked for personal identifying
                      information. Questions could include: name, age,
                      date and place of birth, name of parents, spouse,
                      children, siblings, height, complexion, former
                      master's name, plantation, occupation, employer.
                      Not all questions were asked of everyone but as a
                      result of these questions there is information in
                      the files of over 480,000 African Americans.

                      The records of the Freedmen's Bureau are being
                      scanned at the National Archives at this time.

                      Clay
                    • Diann Thompson