RE: [jacksongenealogy] genealogy search

  • Diann Thompson
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 30, 2004
      Regina,
      You are a true jewel. I belive this is my grandfather. In fact, I am paying the taxes on 3 plats of land. Thanks
      Diann

      Regina <rgpipes@...> wrote:
      Wonder if this is your Lewis COLE?
      Regina

      Alabama Land Records
      Viewing records 1-3 of 3 matches for:
      Lewis Cole in United States
      About this database
      Alabama Pre-1908 Homestead and Cash Entry Patent and Cadastral Survey Plat
      Index More information below

      < Global Search Results

      Name Land Office Total Acres Issue Date Save This

      LEWIS COLE HUNTSVILLE 40.02 June 15, 1854
      LEWIS COLE HUNTSVILLE 80.25 April 02, 1857
      LEWIS COLE HUNTSVILLE 80.25 March 01, 1858

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 30, 2004
        Sorry I can not be more help. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a reply
        from Rudder Funeral home. I doubt if you ever get a reply. A simple we
        have no records or we can't help would be nice but guess they are in it for
        the money only and a letter to you would not make them any. I'm afraid
        there is a lot in Jackson county like that. I did find three COLE'S buried
        in a Stevenson cemetery.

        Good luck in your research. You may want to visit the Heritage center in
        Scottsboro. I have never been there but hope to soon. They seem very
        helpful.
        Thanks

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
            Diann,
            I think when you come to Jackson Co, I would personally visit Rudder's Funeral Home. There are some really nice folks there who will help you out, I'm sure, if the records are available. Also, you might think about making a visit to Morning Star Church. I would be willing to bet there are some very helpful people there, too.
            I remember a Walter Cole who worked for Newton Guess' farm equipment for many years. He died a year or two ago, and was a really nice gentleman. Family of yours?
            When is your trip? Joy in Stevenson, AL

            I will be coming to Stevenson/Scottsboro sometime in June. I have been to
            the Scottsboro Public Library and was completely lost. I had family in
            Stevenson, but have come up against the slavery issue. Yikes!!!

            Can anyone direct me? Thanking you in advance

            Diann

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/FvNolB/TM

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 4, 2005
              Diann

              There was a special census taken at the end of
              the Civil War. It lists heads of households both
              white and black by name and the other members of
              the household by age group. This census should be
              available at the Heritage Center. I know of no
              place on line when Jackson County's is listed.

              You may also want to check wills and settlements
              of estates, many times the slaves where listed in
              them.

              In the settlement of my Great-great grandmother
              Catherine Gullatt's estate are listed her slaves
              Burt, Peggy and their son Wash. There were other
              children never could figure out why they were not
              listed. They were bought by her oldest son
              William Gullatt for $1800 in gold and silver cash
              in hand.

              I have found researching my African American
              relatives the most difficult searches ever.

              After checking the 1865 census you might compare
              it with the 1870 census and the 1860/50 slave
              schedules both slaves and owners. There are only
              5 Williams listed as slave owners on the 1860 so
              it should not be too difficult to find her
              father.

              Also check out the transfers of land, though this
              may require the hiring of a title attorney.

              If you could not find your relatives in all the
              census I have all three of the genealogy services
              and will be glad to do lookups for who ever
              requests. I do ask that you provide as much info
              as possible. The old 4 w's that we learned in
              school Who, What, Where and When if they are
              known.This is especially true if it is a common
              name.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 4, 2005
                One additional thing when listing your relatives
                for lookups please no actual birth dates for
                living persons. That is just asking for trouble.
                Give just the year, no day or month.

                Clay
              • Diann Thompson
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                  Hi Joy,
                  Thanks for the response. I would love to go to Rudder. Are they on the same street as the Library? I have only been to Stevenson 3 times in my life and really loved it there. Walter Cole was my mother's cousin. Is Rudder Funeral home located close to the Library?
                  I visited Stevenson in 2000 and went to the Morningstar Baptist Church. It was closed but the sign stated this church was recently built. There was an older MBC.
                  I am planning to come in June and stay about a week. Can't wait to get back there.
                  Diann

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                      Diann

                      The Heritage Center is in Scottsboro their email
                      is heritage@.... Another excellent
                      contact is the head of the Jackson County
                      Historical Society Ann Chambless at
                      abc123@... she is the expert on
                      Jackson County.

                      Not sure but I think the 1865 Special Census is
                      at the Heritage Center, a cousin sent me the data
                      on the Gullatts, don't remember whether he said
                      he got it from the Heritage Center or the
                      Courthouse. You need to visit both in any case.

                      Another project that is in the works at Alabama
                      Dept. of Achrives and History is the 1867 Voter
                      Registration Rolls for each county. They are
                      putting them on the internet, so far only two
                      counties Wilcox and Winston. I do not know if
                      each county has a copy of the rolls or not, check
                      at the Heritage Center. Here is a link to the
                      rolls
                      http://www.archives.state.al.us/voterreg/index.cfm

                      For hours of reading go to
                      http:www.archives.state.al.us/ click on: For
                      Genealogists and Historians.

                      Clay
                    • Joy Smith
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                        Hi Diann,
                        Rudder Funeral Home Stevenson is on old hwy 72, now Alabama road 277. Do you happen to recall North Jackson High School while you were here? It's on that road.
                        If you'll email me privately, I'll send you some phone #'s of people who might be able to help.
                        Walter Cole was a precious soul. He came to the Dr I worked for, was ever the gentleman.
                        My email is joy0420@.... Email me there and I'll get you some #'s together. Joy

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                          Diann

                          Another source you might want to search is the
                          Freedmen's Bank and the Freedmen's Bureau. The
                          records of the Freedmen's Bank is available as a
                          CD-ROM from www.familysearch.org the LDS site.
                          They are also available at the National Archives
                          and at their regional offices.
                          The Freedmen's Bank was in existence from 1865 to
                          1874 and had over 70,000 depositors when it
                          closed.

                          Since most depositors could not read or write
                          they were asked for personal identifying
                          information. Questions could include: name, age,
                          date and place of birth, name of parents, spouse,
                          children, siblings, height, complexion, former
                          master's name, plantation, occupation, employer.
                          Not all questions were asked of everyone but as a
                          result of these questions there is information in
                          the files of over 480,000 African Americans.

                          The records of the Freedmen's Bureau are being
                          scanned at the National Archives at this time.

                          Clay
                        • Diann Thompson