RE: [jacksongenealogy] genealogy search

  • Regina
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 28, 2004
      Give us a little more information and may be some of us can help you get a
      head start before you get to Stevenson/Scottsboro. Names, dates, etc.

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 29, 2004
        Thank you. The family name is Cole or Coles. My grandfather's name was Lewis Cole and his wife was Mattie Jane Jordan Cole. Her father was Riley Jordan and mother was Jane Williams? according to the marriage date of 1877. I have gone back as far as 1870 in the census but before that, poof and gone. I know that Jane Jordan was the daughter of a slave and a slave owner. Name unknown of the slave or the owner.

        My grandparents, my mother and family attended Morning Star Missionary Baptist Church, but understand that the cemetery is unapproachable because of overgrowth. The Rudder funeral home handled all the funerals for my family. I have contacted them but have never received a response from them. I brought the Stevenson Story when I was there in 2000.

        I am coming from Maryland as I have a living Uncle there. His name is Harold Cole. He is up in age and well, you know.....
        Thanks for any assistance.
        Diann
        Regina <rgpipes@...> wrote:
        Give us a little more information and may be some of us can help you get a
        head start before you get to Stevenson/Scottsboro. Names, dates, etc.

        I will be coming to Stevenson/Scottsboro sometime in June. I have been to
        the Scottsboro Public Library and was completely lost. I had family in
        Stevenson, but have come up against the slavery issue. Yikes!!!

        Can anyone direct me? Thanking you in advance

        Diann

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/FvNolB/TM

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Regina
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 29, 2004
          Wonder if this is your Lewis COLE?
          Regina

          Alabama Land Records
          Viewing records 1-3 of 3 matches for:
          Lewis Cole in United States
          About this database
          Alabama Pre-1908 Homestead and Cash Entry Patent and Cadastral Survey Plat
          Index More information below

          < Global Search Results

          Name Land Office Total Acres Issue Date Save This

          LEWIS COLE HUNTSVILLE 40.02 June 15, 1854
          LEWIS COLE HUNTSVILLE 80.25 April 02, 1857
          LEWIS COLE HUNTSVILLE 80.25 March 01, 1858

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 30, 2004
              Sorry I can not be more help. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a reply
              from Rudder Funeral home. I doubt if you ever get a reply. A simple we
              have no records or we can't help would be nice but guess they are in it for
              the money only and a letter to you would not make them any. I'm afraid
              there is a lot in Jackson county like that. I did find three COLE'S buried
              in a Stevenson cemetery.

              Good luck in your research. You may want to visit the Heritage center in
              Scottsboro. I have never been there but hope to soon. They seem very
              helpful.
              Thanks

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
                  Diann,
                  I think when you come to Jackson Co, I would personally visit Rudder's Funeral Home. There are some really nice folks there who will help you out, I'm sure, if the records are available. Also, you might think about making a visit to Morning Star Church. I would be willing to bet there are some very helpful people there, too.
                  I remember a Walter Cole who worked for Newton Guess' farm equipment for many years. He died a year or two ago, and was a really nice gentleman. Family of yours?
                  When is your trip? Joy in Stevenson, AL

                  I will be coming to Stevenson/Scottsboro sometime in June. I have been to
                  the Scottsboro Public Library and was completely lost. I had family in
                  Stevenson, but have come up against the slavery issue. Yikes!!!

                  Can anyone direct me? Thanking you in advance

                  Diann

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/FvNolB/TM

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 4, 2005
                    Diann

                    There was a special census taken at the end of
                    the Civil War. It lists heads of households both
                    white and black by name and the other members of
                    the household by age group. This census should be
                    available at the Heritage Center. I know of no
                    place on line when Jackson County's is listed.

                    You may also want to check wills and settlements
                    of estates, many times the slaves where listed in
                    them.

                    In the settlement of my Great-great grandmother
                    Catherine Gullatt's estate are listed her slaves
                    Burt, Peggy and their son Wash. There were other
                    children never could figure out why they were not
                    listed. They were bought by her oldest son
                    William Gullatt for $1800 in gold and silver cash
                    in hand.

                    I have found researching my African American
                    relatives the most difficult searches ever.

                    After checking the 1865 census you might compare
                    it with the 1870 census and the 1860/50 slave
                    schedules both slaves and owners. There are only
                    5 Williams listed as slave owners on the 1860 so
                    it should not be too difficult to find her
                    father.

                    Also check out the transfers of land, though this
                    may require the hiring of a title attorney.

                    If you could not find your relatives in all the
                    census I have all three of the genealogy services
                    and will be glad to do lookups for who ever
                    requests. I do ask that you provide as much info
                    as possible. The old 4 w's that we learned in
                    school Who, What, Where and When if they are
                    known.This is especially true if it is a common
                    name.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 4, 2005
                      One additional thing when listing your relatives
                      for lookups please no actual birth dates for
                      living persons. That is just asking for trouble.
                      Give just the year, no day or month.

                      Clay
                    • Diann Thompson
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                        Hi Joy,
                        Thanks for the response. I would love to go to Rudder. Are they on the same street as the Library? I have only been to Stevenson 3 times in my life and really loved it there. Walter Cole was my mother's cousin. Is Rudder Funeral home located close to the Library?
                        I visited Stevenson in 2000 and went to the Morningstar Baptist Church. It was closed but the sign stated this church was recently built. There was an older MBC.
                        I am planning to come in June and stay about a week. Can't wait to get back there.
                        Diann

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                            Diann

                            The Heritage Center is in Scottsboro their email
                            is heritage@.... Another excellent
                            contact is the head of the Jackson County
                            Historical Society Ann Chambless at
                            abc123@... she is the expert on
                            Jackson County.

                            Not sure but I think the 1865 Special Census is
                            at the Heritage Center, a cousin sent me the data
                            on the Gullatts, don't remember whether he said
                            he got it from the Heritage Center or the
                            Courthouse. You need to visit both in any case.

                            Another project that is in the works at Alabama
                            Dept. of Achrives and History is the 1867 Voter
                            Registration Rolls for each county. They are
                            putting them on the internet, so far only two
                            counties Wilcox and Winston. I do not know if
                            each county has a copy of the rolls or not, check
                            at the Heritage Center. Here is a link to the
                            rolls
                            http://www.archives.state.al.us/voterreg/index.cfm

                            For hours of reading go to
                            http:www.archives.state.al.us/ click on: For
                            Genealogists and Historians.

                            Clay
                          • Joy Smith
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                              Hi Diann,
                              Rudder Funeral Home Stevenson is on old hwy 72, now Alabama road 277. Do you happen to recall North Jackson High School while you were here? It's on that road.
                              If you'll email me privately, I'll send you some phone #'s of people who might be able to help.
                              Walter Cole was a precious soul. He came to the Dr I worked for, was ever the gentleman.
                              My email is joy0420@.... Email me there and I'll get you some #'s together. Joy

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                                Diann

                                Another source you might want to search is the
                                Freedmen's Bank and the Freedmen's Bureau. The
                                records of the Freedmen's Bank is available as a
                                CD-ROM from www.familysearch.org the LDS site.
                                They are also available at the National Archives
                                and at their regional offices.
                                The Freedmen's Bank was in existence from 1865 to
                                1874 and had over 70,000 depositors when it
                                closed.

                                Since most depositors could not read or write
                                they were asked for personal identifying
                                information. Questions could include: name, age,
                                date and place of birth, name of parents, spouse,
                                children, siblings, height, complexion, former
                                master's name, plantation, occupation, employer.
                                Not all questions were asked of everyone but as a
                                result of these questions there is information in
                                the files of over 480,000 African Americans.

                                The records of the Freedmen's Bureau are being
                                scanned at the National Archives at this time.

                                Clay
                              • Diann Thompson