genealogy search

  • Diann Thompson
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 28, 2004
      I will be coming to Stevenson/Scottsboro sometime in June. I have been to the Scottsboro Public Library and was completely lost. I had family in Stevenson, but have come up against the slavery issue. Yikes!!!

      Can anyone direct me? Thanking you in advance

      Diann

    • Regina
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 28, 2004
        Give us a little more information and may be some of us can help you get a
        head start before you get to Stevenson/Scottsboro. Names, dates, etc.

        I will be coming to Stevenson/Scottsboro sometime in June. I have been to
        the Scottsboro Public Library and was completely lost. I had family in
        Stevenson, but have come up against the slavery issue. Yikes!!!

        Can anyone direct me? Thanking you in advance

        Diann

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/FvNolB/TM
      • Diann Thompson
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 29, 2004
          Thank you. The family name is Cole or Coles. My grandfather's name was Lewis Cole and his wife was Mattie Jane Jordan Cole. Her father was Riley Jordan and mother was Jane Williams? according to the marriage date of 1877. I have gone back as far as 1870 in the census but before that, poof and gone. I know that Jane Jordan was the daughter of a slave and a slave owner. Name unknown of the slave or the owner.

          My grandparents, my mother and family attended Morning Star Missionary Baptist Church, but understand that the cemetery is unapproachable because of overgrowth. The Rudder funeral home handled all the funerals for my family. I have contacted them but have never received a response from them. I brought the Stevenson Story when I was there in 2000.

          I am coming from Maryland as I have a living Uncle there. His name is Harold Cole. He is up in age and well, you know.....
          Thanks for any assistance.
          Diann
          Regina <rgpipes@...> wrote:
          Give us a little more information and may be some of us can help you get a
          head start before you get to Stevenson/Scottsboro. Names, dates, etc.

          I will be coming to Stevenson/Scottsboro sometime in June. I have been to
          the Scottsboro Public Library and was completely lost. I had family in
          Stevenson, but have come up against the slavery issue. Yikes!!!

          Can anyone direct me? Thanking you in advance

          Diann

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/FvNolB/TM

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Regina
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 29, 2004
            Wonder if this is your Lewis COLE?
            Regina

            Alabama Land Records
            Viewing records 1-3 of 3 matches for:
            Lewis Cole in United States
            About this database
            Alabama Pre-1908 Homestead and Cash Entry Patent and Cadastral Survey Plat
            Index More information below

            < Global Search Results

            Name Land Office Total Acres Issue Date Save This

            LEWIS COLE HUNTSVILLE 40.02 June 15, 1854
            LEWIS COLE HUNTSVILLE 80.25 April 02, 1857
            LEWIS COLE HUNTSVILLE 80.25 March 01, 1858

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 30, 2004
                Sorry I can not be more help. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a reply
                from Rudder Funeral home. I doubt if you ever get a reply. A simple we
                have no records or we can't help would be nice but guess they are in it for
                the money only and a letter to you would not make them any. I'm afraid
                there is a lot in Jackson county like that. I did find three COLE'S buried
                in a Stevenson cemetery.

                Good luck in your research. You may want to visit the Heritage center in
                Scottsboro. I have never been there but hope to soon. They seem very
                helpful.
                Thanks

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 3, 2005
                    Diann,
                    I think when you come to Jackson Co, I would personally visit Rudder's Funeral Home. There are some really nice folks there who will help you out, I'm sure, if the records are available. Also, you might think about making a visit to Morning Star Church. I would be willing to bet there are some very helpful people there, too.
                    I remember a Walter Cole who worked for Newton Guess' farm equipment for many years. He died a year or two ago, and was a really nice gentleman. Family of yours?
                    When is your trip? Joy in Stevenson, AL

                    I will be coming to Stevenson/Scottsboro sometime in June. I have been to
                    the Scottsboro Public Library and was completely lost. I had family in
                    Stevenson, but have come up against the slavery issue. Yikes!!!

                    Can anyone direct me? Thanking you in advance

                    Diann

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/FvNolB/TM

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 4, 2005
                      Diann

                      There was a special census taken at the end of
                      the Civil War. It lists heads of households both
                      white and black by name and the other members of
                      the household by age group. This census should be
                      available at the Heritage Center. I know of no
                      place on line when Jackson County's is listed.

                      You may also want to check wills and settlements
                      of estates, many times the slaves where listed in
                      them.

                      In the settlement of my Great-great grandmother
                      Catherine Gullatt's estate are listed her slaves
                      Burt, Peggy and their son Wash. There were other
                      children never could figure out why they were not
                      listed. They were bought by her oldest son
                      William Gullatt for $1800 in gold and silver cash
                      in hand.

                      I have found researching my African American
                      relatives the most difficult searches ever.

                      After checking the 1865 census you might compare
                      it with the 1870 census and the 1860/50 slave
                      schedules both slaves and owners. There are only
                      5 Williams listed as slave owners on the 1860 so
                      it should not be too difficult to find her
                      father.

                      Also check out the transfers of land, though this
                      may require the hiring of a title attorney.

                      If you could not find your relatives in all the
                      census I have all three of the genealogy services
                      and will be glad to do lookups for who ever
                      requests. I do ask that you provide as much info
                      as possible. The old 4 w's that we learned in
                      school Who, What, Where and When if they are
                      known.This is especially true if it is a common
                      name.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 4, 2005
                        One additional thing when listing your relatives
                        for lookups please no actual birth dates for
                        living persons. That is just asking for trouble.
                        Give just the year, no day or month.

                        Clay
                      • Diann Thompson
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                          Hi Joy,
                          Thanks for the response. I would love to go to Rudder. Are they on the same street as the Library? I have only been to Stevenson 3 times in my life and really loved it there. Walter Cole was my mother's cousin. Is Rudder Funeral home located close to the Library?
                          I visited Stevenson in 2000 and went to the Morningstar Baptist Church. It was closed but the sign stated this church was recently built. There was an older MBC.
                          I am planning to come in June and stay about a week. Can't wait to get back there.
                          Diann

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                              Diann

                              The Heritage Center is in Scottsboro their email
                              is heritage@.... Another excellent
                              contact is the head of the Jackson County
                              Historical Society Ann Chambless at
                              abc123@... she is the expert on
                              Jackson County.

                              Not sure but I think the 1865 Special Census is
                              at the Heritage Center, a cousin sent me the data
                              on the Gullatts, don't remember whether he said
                              he got it from the Heritage Center or the
                              Courthouse. You need to visit both in any case.

                              Another project that is in the works at Alabama
                              Dept. of Achrives and History is the 1867 Voter
                              Registration Rolls for each county. They are
                              putting them on the internet, so far only two
                              counties Wilcox and Winston. I do not know if
                              each county has a copy of the rolls or not, check
                              at the Heritage Center. Here is a link to the
                              rolls
                              http://www.archives.state.al.us/voterreg/index.cfm

                              For hours of reading go to
                              http:www.archives.state.al.us/ click on: For
                              Genealogists and Historians.

                              Clay
                            • Joy Smith
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                                Hi Diann,
                                Rudder Funeral Home Stevenson is on old hwy 72, now Alabama road 277. Do you happen to recall North Jackson High School while you were here? It's on that road.
                                If you'll email me privately, I'll send you some phone #'s of people who might be able to help.
                                Walter Cole was a precious soul. He came to the Dr I worked for, was ever the gentleman.
                                My email is joy0420@.... Email me there and I'll get you some #'s together. Joy

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 10, 2005
                                  Diann

                                  Another source you might want to search is the
                                  Freedmen's Bank and the Freedmen's Bureau. The
                                  records of the Freedmen's Bank is available as a
                                  CD-ROM from www.familysearch.org the LDS site.
                                  They are also available at the National Archives
                                  and at their regional offices.
                                  The Freedmen's Bank was in existence from 1865 to
                                  1874 and had over 70,000 depositors when it
                                  closed.

                                  Since most depositors could not read or write
                                  they were asked for personal identifying
                                  information. Questions could include: name, age,
                                  date and place of birth, name of parents, spouse,
                                  children, siblings, height, complexion, former
                                  master's name, plantation, occupation, employer.
                                  Not all questions were asked of everyone but as a
                                  result of these questions there is information in
                                  the files of over 480,000 African Americans.

                                  The records of the Freedmen's Bureau are being
                                  scanned at the National Archives at this time.

                                  Clay
                                • Diann Thompson