RE: [jacksongenealogy] ROGERS, MEDLOCK, CULPEPPER, YATES, MORTON, SARTIN, MOO...

  • Robert West
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 10, 2004
      Martha Jane Rogers Parents were Robert Rogers and Eliza Jane Arnold

      Bob West

      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
        Some of my relatives were Culpeppers. Family names Hutcheson, Sims,
        Sizemore, Fowler and Culpepper.
        Ronda Myers
        > Martha Jane Rogers Parents were Robert Rogers and Eliza Jane Arnold
        >
        > Bob West

      • Gary Rogers
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 9, 2005
          Bob,

          My ancestor was Robert Rogers and wife Sarah Cole, their son was Andrew
          Jackosn Rogers, wife Arminda Evans. I dont see a connection at this time.

          Sincerely,
          Gary W. Rogers
        • Cynthia Pugliese
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 22, 2007
            In addition to having a daughter named Octavia (who married John A. Evans), did Andrew and Arminda have a son named Samuel Loye or LeRoy Evans?

            Cindy Pugliese
            My ancestor was Robert Rogers and wife Sarah Cole, their son was Andrew
            Jackosn Rogers, wife Arminda Evans. I dont see a connection at this time.

            Sincerely,
            Gary W. Rogers

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 23, 2007
              Pardon me for jumping in here, but I seem to have missed the original
              posting. Is the Medlock line listed in the subject line of this post
              related to Zach Matlock/Medlock of Jackson Co? This is not my direct line,
              but it appears to have some connection to my Roberts family.

              Thanks,

              Chris

              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 23, 2007
                ...Cindy, I will nose in here on this one. Samuel LeRoy is my direct
                line, & his surname is ROGERS & not EVANS.

                Arminda EVANS was his mother. We would like to find out who
                Arminda's parents were. There is speculation but no real proof so far.

                Since Arminda's maiden name was EVANS; we wondering if maybe her
                daughter, Octavia ROGERS, married a cousin or other EVANS kin to
                Arminda.

                If anyone could shed some light on this EVANS or ROGERS group, it
                would be greatly appreciated.

                Thanks A Bunch,

                Smiley :-))

                --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Cynthia Pugliese"
                <capugliese@...> wrote:

                > In addition to having a daughter named Octavia (who married John A.
                Evans), did Andrew and Arminda have a son named Samuel Loye or LeRoy
                Evans?

                > Cindy Pugliese

                Service.

              • Cynthia Pugliese
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 23, 2007
                  Smiley,

                  From the information I've seen, Arminda Evans Rogers was born in Tennessee to parents who were born in North Carolina and South Carolina (father/mother). The Evans family that Octavia (her daughter) married into were originally from South Carolina and later Georgia, then Alabama. So I don't think Arminda's daughter ,Octavia, who married John A. Evans, married a cousin.

                  I found the information at a website Gary Rogers sent me: http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=irishmurr2&id=I27072

                  Here is the information I found:

                  a.. ID: I27072
                  a.. Name: Arminda EVANS
                  a.. Sex: F
                  a.. Birth: MAY 1849 in Tennessee
                  a.. Death: 7 APR 1915
                  a.. Note: She's found in the 1900 census in Dutton, Jackson County, Alabama: RODGERS, Arminda (51; b. May 1849); grandson Daniel (13; b. Sept. 1886). Arminda was widowed. She was the mother of 7 children, 6 of whom were living when this census was taken. She was born in Tennessee, her father in North Carolina and her mother in South Carolina. Daniel was born in Alabama, as were both his parents. Arminda was a farmer.

                  However, I do believe that one of my collateral lines (my grandmother's oldest sister), did marry a cousin! Her grandparents were Warwick Evans and Susan Wooten. She married a Calvin Meredith Evans, who we think was the son of David Evans, Warwick's brother! I'm not sure what degree cousin that makes them. I found a death certificate (or someone looked up the information for me in Texas) that stated Calvin's parents were an Evans and a Fawcett. We know that David Evans married Phebe Fossett (Danny Evans found that information in a DeKalb county book somewhere). We also know that one of Bryant Evans' sons (Bryant is one of Warwick's and David's uncles) Bethel Quillen Evans lived with a Chapell Q. Fossett and his wife, Sarah Evans (Bethel's sister). Calvin Meredith Evans named one of his sons after Bethel Quillen, according to that B.Q. Evans (who I think is still alive, lives in Texas, but understandably is old and has a failing memory, but remembers being told he was named after a cousin named Bethel Quillen). Phew!

                  Anyway, that's all I know right now. Every once in a while, I pick up another tidbit of information to chip away at that old brick wall!

                  Cindy Pugliese

                  p.s. I'm sending this to all the Dekalb and Jackson county websites since the Evans family moved between both counties.

                  <capugliese@...> wrote:

                  > In addition to having a daughter named Octavia (who married John A.
                  Evans), did Andrew and Arminda have a son named Samuel Loye or LeRoy
                  Evans?

                  > Cindy Pugliese

                  Service.

                • Smiley
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 23, 2007
                    ...Hi Cindy, we have all the census' for Arminda & each one of them
                    she states either, GA or TN being her place of birth.

                    We have all her info forward but not backwards. Daniel, btw was
                    Octavia's 1st born son. No one knows who his father was, & there is
                    no one to confirm who his father was either. At least no one on the
                    ROGERS side of the family, who knows maybe one of the EVANS kin may
                    know.

                    Arminda raised him as her own though, as he was a little slow. Heck,
                    on one of the census they lists his occupation as "idiot" & on his
                    WWI reg card they listed him as "nearly deaf & dumb." He stayed on
                    the land that Arminda received from a land grant for the "General's"
                    military service.

                    Most of the land was sold off after Arminda passed away, but Samuel &
                    her other children left so many acres for Daniel to live on. When
                    Daniel died, his address was listed as Flat Rock. I am not for sure
                    whereabouts this is though, in relation to the original land.

                    Lena Large, one of our cousins told us that he lived his life out as
                    a quiet man. Never bothered anyone & raised most of his crops to
                    sustain himself. He was a very gentle man and that he cared about
                    all the people, family or not, who came into contact with him.

                    I'll be in contact with you again real soon though. Maybe between
                    the help of those on this board & some of the varied descendants, we
                    might actually get the lines all figured out...or at least better
                    than what I have now..smile. Until that time, I hope you have an
                    awesome day...

                    <capugliese@...> wrote:

                    > Smiley,
                    >
                    > From the information I've seen, Arminda Evans Rogers was born in
                    Tennessee to parents who were born in North Carolina and South
                    Carolina (father/mother). The Evans family that Octavia (her
                    daughter) married into were originally from South Carolina and later
                    Georgia, then Alabama. So I don't think Arminda's daughter ,Octavia,
                    who married John A. Evans, married a cousin.

                    > I found the information at a website Gary Rogers sent me:
                    http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=irishmurr2&id=I27072

                    > Here is the information I found:
                    >
                    > a.. ID: I27072
                    > a.. Name: Arminda EVANS
                    > a.. Sex: F
                    > a.. Birth: MAY 1849 in Tennessee
                    > a.. Death: 7 APR 1915
                    > a.. Note: She's found in the 1900 census in Dutton, Jackson County,
                    Alabama: RODGERS, Arminda (51; b. May 1849); grandson Daniel (13; b.
                    Sept. 1886). Arminda was widowed. She was the mother of 7 children, 6
                    of whom were living when this census was taken. She was born in
                    Tennessee, her father in North Carolina and her mother in South
                    Carolina. Daniel was born in Alabama, as were both his parents.
                    Arminda was a farmer.

                    > However, I do believe that one of my collateral lines (my
                    grandmother's oldest sister), did marry a cousin! Her grandparents
                    were Warwick Evans and Susan Wooten. She married a Calvin Meredith
                    Evans, who we think was the son of David Evans, Warwick's brother!
                    I'm not sure what degree cousin that makes them. I found a death
                    certificate (or someone looked up the information for me in Texas)
                    that stated Calvin's parents were an Evans and a Fawcett. We know
                    that David Evans married Phebe Fossett (Danny Evans found that
                    information in a DeKalb county book somewhere). We also know that
                    one of Bryant Evans' sons (Bryant is one of Warwick's and David's
                    uncles) Bethel Quillen Evans lived with a Chapell Q. Fossett and his
                    wife, Sarah Evans (Bethel's sister). Calvin Meredith Evans named
                    one of his sons after Bethel Quillen, according to that B.Q. Evans
                    (who I think is still alive, lives in Texas, but understandably is
                    old and has a failing memory, but remembers being told he was named
                    after a cousin named Bethel Quillen). Phew!

                    > Anyway, that's all I know right now. Every once in a while, I
                    pick up another tidbit of information to chip away at that old brick
                    wall!

                    > Cindy Pugliese
                    >
                    > p.s. I'm sending this to all the Dekalb and Jackson county
                    websites since the Evans family moved between both counties.

                    YATES, MORTON, SARTIN, MOO...

                  • researcher@digginbones.com
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 23, 2007
                      Sorry for the automated reply. I will be out of town from March 24 through March 29. I will reply to all messages upon my return.

                      Thanks for your patience.

                      Rex Bertram
                    • researcher@digginbones.com

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 23, 2007

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Mar 24, 2007
                                          He has been placed on "receive no messages" so we should not get any more.

                                          Anyone going away can change the way they receive their messages then read the missed messages at the group home web site. If you can't figure it out Richard or I will do it for you. If you want to change the way you receive messsages, All , Disgest, or None, Read at Website we can do that for you also.

                                        • Karl Plenge
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Mar 24, 2007
                                            Could Clay or someone temporarily suspend this person from the email list? Each time someone sends a message, his auto-reply generates a response, which gets mailed to everyone on the list, including him - and that generates another auto-reply. This will go on all week.

                                            Thanks!

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Mar 24, 2007
                                              I had 19 of these messages in my mailbox this morning. This doesn't include those I got yesterday. Clay, can you do something about this? That is more than the number of messages actually received, so this doesn't seem to be acting like an automated reply message.

                                              Cindy Pugliese

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Mar 24, 2007
                                                I had 19 of these messages in my mailbox this morning. This doesn't include those I got yesterday. Clay, can you do something about this? That is more than the number of messages actually received, so this doesn't seem to be acting like an automated reply message.

                                                Cindy Pugliese

                                                He already corrected it, you shouldn't get any more.