Re: [jacksongenealogy] Louisa Hall and Solomon Bellomy

  • Karen Groce
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28, 2004
      Yes, there is a Solomon BELLOMY in Texas in either the 1870 or 1880 census - I can't remember right now which one I saw him listed in. I don't know how he's kin to the Solomon BELLOMY in Jackson Co. AL, but he's probably related somehow - a nephew or something? Those folks who track the BELLOMYs more than I do will have to tell you. :-)

      Karen Groce
      wgroce@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 29, 2004
        Bill,
        Please feel free to add more to the discussion (or the confusion, as if
        often my case)! Is this a census of which you have a copy ? Or a memory of
        something you saw in some archive or online? Please, please check and get
        back to us!

        You are very appropriate in mentioning Golden community of Wood County,
        Texas. I, too, will look over my material on the relatives that went to
        Golden. If Solomon is on a Texas census in 1880, he would have been the
        first of his family to come to the Golden area. His sister Elizabeth
        Bellomy and Caleb Browning settled south of Winnsboro around 1860.
        Solomon's brother Jackson and his descendants settled in Golden in 1886.
        Jackson and Mary B. (daughter of Solomon Glass) sold inherited property in
        Jackson County, Alabama in 1888 to finance new land in Texas. I am guessing
        her inheritance would have been S. G.'s if he had been alive in 1888.
        Neither Jackson nor David Bellomy (another brother who stayed in Alabama)
        named any sons for Solomon, so that is not a possibility.

        Hopefully, we will get the answer bit by bit! It is truly a mystery.

        As to your question about Tom Bellomy. I show a Thomas Luther Bellomy born
        April 25, 1877, no dod) child of William Bellomy (born June 2, 1848, died
        January 17, 1915 and buried in Golden Cemetery). His mother would have been
        Mary Agnes Holland. This Thomas Luther Bellomy married Clara Belle Gilbert
        on June 16, 1896. If he named a child Lula, who could have married a WW1
        soldier, it might have been in honor of his sister. I show a Lula Bellomy
        born June 12, 1879 to the same parents, but with no further information.
        This information was gathered by my mother by interviews in her genealogy
        haydays of the 1960's and is on the fringe of my research. I began writing
        down documentation much later. Does this agree with anything you have or
        help you?

        Which is your family line?

        A.

        > If I am not butting in too bad, I could have sworn that I saw the name of
        > Solomon Bellomy in an early census (that I can't find right now) of the
        > Golden Community in Wood Co., TX and I wondered if he was the father of
        Tom
        > Bellomy that had a daughter named Lula that married Homer Darden. The
        > Dardens were friends of the family and Homer was old enough to serve in WW
        > I.
        >
        > Bill
        > bjbullard@...

        Service.

        > ---
        >
        > ---

      • Bill Bullard
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 29, 2004
          We are talking about the same Bellomy family from Thomas Luther to 1970's.
          Thomas lived about a quarter mile from my grandmother, Mollie Narcissa
          Chapman Branum. She was born in Jackson County, Alabama about 1886 to G.
          Harrison Chapman and Charlotte Morgan Garland Chapman.

          I know little of the Bellomy family because we moved from Golden about
          1943-44. It seems that there were six or seven children in that family.

          I will keep my eyes open for the census as I am sure that I made a copy
          atleast part of it.

          Bill

          > If I am not butting in too bad, I could have sworn that I saw the name of
          > Solomon Bellomy in an early census (that I can't find right now) of the
          > Golden Community in Wood Co., TX and I wondered if he was the father of
          Tom
          > Bellomy that had a daughter named Lula that married Homer Darden. The
          > Dardens were friends of the family and Homer was old enough to serve in WW
          > I.
          >
          > Bill
          > bjbullard@...

          Service.