Re: [jacksongenealogy] ROGERS, MEDLOCK, CULPEPPER, YATES, MORTON, SARTIN, MOO...

  • Gullick99@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 27, 2004
      Gary,
      I am also researching the Rogers family from the Jackson County, AL area. My
      husband's ggrandmother was Martha Rogers married a ? Bowen.about 1871. My
      husband's grandfather was William Arthur Bowen (Arthur) born 5/12/1872. Arthur
      married Linnie Frazier about 1897 in Jackson County, AL. Do you know of a
      Martha Rogers in your line? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Jean Bowen
      Gullick99@...

    • Robert West
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 27, 2004
        I have a Martha Patsy Rogers b. abt 1846 in my line. I have no marriage
        data on her but I have parents.

        Bob West

        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 28, 2004
          Who were your Martha's Parents?

          Sincerely,
          Gary W. Rogers
        • Robert West
          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 28, 2004
            Robert Rogers b. abt 1812, Eliza Jane Arnold b. unk.

            There were three children, John Rogers, b abt 1843, Martha Jane Rogers b.
            abt 1846, and Robert M. Rogers, b abt 1849.

            Robert's parents were William, b abt 1770, Barren County, KY, and Martha
            Patsy Wilkersson, b. abt 1775, KY, d. abt 1840, TN, married 5 Feb 1807.
            They had eight children.

            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 28, 2004
              Thats very interesting. My earliest Ancestor is ROBERT ROGERS born North
              Carolina 1789. His wife ( at least my ancestress) appears to be Sarah Cole
              B: Virginia 1805. The moved thorugh Buncombe County, North Carolina, Bradley
              County, Tenn., Murray County, Georgia and the children ended up on Sand
              Mountain, near Henegar/Dutton. Any North Carolina connections in your ROGERS
              group?

              Sincerely,
              Gary W. Rogers
            • Robert West
              Message 6 of 28 , Nov 28, 2004
                No North Carolina connections that I know of, so it looks like no match.
                Sorry.

                Bob West

                Message 7 of 28 , Dec 10, 2004
                  Martha Jane Rogers Parents were Robert Rogers and Eliza Jane Arnold

                  Bob West

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 3, 2005
                    Some of my relatives were Culpeppers. Family names Hutcheson, Sims,
                    Sizemore, Fowler and Culpepper.
                    Ronda Myers
                    > Martha Jane Rogers Parents were Robert Rogers and Eliza Jane Arnold
                    >
                    > Bob West

                  • Gary Rogers
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 9, 2005
                      Bob,

                      My ancestor was Robert Rogers and wife Sarah Cole, their son was Andrew
                      Jackosn Rogers, wife Arminda Evans. I dont see a connection at this time.

                      Sincerely,
                      Gary W. Rogers
                    • Cynthia Pugliese
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 22, 2007
                        In addition to having a daughter named Octavia (who married John A. Evans), did Andrew and Arminda have a son named Samuel Loye or LeRoy Evans?

                        Cindy Pugliese
                        My ancestor was Robert Rogers and wife Sarah Cole, their son was Andrew
                        Jackosn Rogers, wife Arminda Evans. I dont see a connection at this time.

                        Sincerely,
                        Gary W. Rogers

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • Chris
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 23, 2007
                          Pardon me for jumping in here, but I seem to have missed the original
                          posting. Is the Medlock line listed in the subject line of this post
                          related to Zach Matlock/Medlock of Jackson Co? This is not my direct line,
                          but it appears to have some connection to my Roberts family.

                          Thanks,

                          Chris

                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 23, 2007
                            ...Cindy, I will nose in here on this one. Samuel LeRoy is my direct
                            line, & his surname is ROGERS & not EVANS.

                            Arminda EVANS was his mother. We would like to find out who
                            Arminda's parents were. There is speculation but no real proof so far.

                            Since Arminda's maiden name was EVANS; we wondering if maybe her
                            daughter, Octavia ROGERS, married a cousin or other EVANS kin to
                            Arminda.

                            If anyone could shed some light on this EVANS or ROGERS group, it
                            would be greatly appreciated.

                            Thanks A Bunch,

                            Smiley :-))

                            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Cynthia Pugliese"
                            <capugliese@...> wrote:

                            > In addition to having a daughter named Octavia (who married John A.
                            Evans), did Andrew and Arminda have a son named Samuel Loye or LeRoy
                            Evans?

                            > Cindy Pugliese

                            Service.

                          • Cynthia Pugliese
                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 23, 2007
                              Smiley,

                              From the information I've seen, Arminda Evans Rogers was born in Tennessee to parents who were born in North Carolina and South Carolina (father/mother). The Evans family that Octavia (her daughter) married into were originally from South Carolina and later Georgia, then Alabama. So I don't think Arminda's daughter ,Octavia, who married John A. Evans, married a cousin.

                              I found the information at a website Gary Rogers sent me: http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=irishmurr2&id=I27072

                              Here is the information I found:

                              a.. ID: I27072
                              a.. Name: Arminda EVANS
                              a.. Sex: F
                              a.. Birth: MAY 1849 in Tennessee
                              a.. Death: 7 APR 1915
                              a.. Note: She's found in the 1900 census in Dutton, Jackson County, Alabama: RODGERS, Arminda (51; b. May 1849); grandson Daniel (13; b. Sept. 1886). Arminda was widowed. She was the mother of 7 children, 6 of whom were living when this census was taken. She was born in Tennessee, her father in North Carolina and her mother in South Carolina. Daniel was born in Alabama, as were both his parents. Arminda was a farmer.

                              However, I do believe that one of my collateral lines (my grandmother's oldest sister), did marry a cousin! Her grandparents were Warwick Evans and Susan Wooten. She married a Calvin Meredith Evans, who we think was the son of David Evans, Warwick's brother! I'm not sure what degree cousin that makes them. I found a death certificate (or someone looked up the information for me in Texas) that stated Calvin's parents were an Evans and a Fawcett. We know that David Evans married Phebe Fossett (Danny Evans found that information in a DeKalb county book somewhere). We also know that one of Bryant Evans' sons (Bryant is one of Warwick's and David's uncles) Bethel Quillen Evans lived with a Chapell Q. Fossett and his wife, Sarah Evans (Bethel's sister). Calvin Meredith Evans named one of his sons after Bethel Quillen, according to that B.Q. Evans (who I think is still alive, lives in Texas, but understandably is old and has a failing memory, but remembers being told he was named after a cousin named Bethel Quillen). Phew!

                              Anyway, that's all I know right now. Every once in a while, I pick up another tidbit of information to chip away at that old brick wall!

                              Cindy Pugliese

                              p.s. I'm sending this to all the Dekalb and Jackson county websites since the Evans family moved between both counties.

                              <capugliese@...> wrote:

                              > In addition to having a daughter named Octavia (who married John A.
                              Evans), did Andrew and Arminda have a son named Samuel Loye or LeRoy
                              Evans?

                              > Cindy Pugliese

                              Service.

                            • Smiley
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 23, 2007
                                ...Hi Cindy, we have all the census' for Arminda & each one of them
                                she states either, GA or TN being her place of birth.

                                We have all her info forward but not backwards. Daniel, btw was
                                Octavia's 1st born son. No one knows who his father was, & there is
                                no one to confirm who his father was either. At least no one on the
                                ROGERS side of the family, who knows maybe one of the EVANS kin may
                                know.

                                Arminda raised him as her own though, as he was a little slow. Heck,
                                on one of the census they lists his occupation as "idiot" & on his
                                WWI reg card they listed him as "nearly deaf & dumb." He stayed on
                                the land that Arminda received from a land grant for the "General's"
                                military service.

                                Most of the land was sold off after Arminda passed away, but Samuel &
                                her other children left so many acres for Daniel to live on. When
                                Daniel died, his address was listed as Flat Rock. I am not for sure
                                whereabouts this is though, in relation to the original land.

                                Lena Large, one of our cousins told us that he lived his life out as
                                a quiet man. Never bothered anyone & raised most of his crops to
                                sustain himself. He was a very gentle man and that he cared about
                                all the people, family or not, who came into contact with him.

                                I'll be in contact with you again real soon though. Maybe between
                                the help of those on this board & some of the varied descendants, we
                                might actually get the lines all figured out...or at least better
                                than what I have now..smile. Until that time, I hope you have an
                                awesome day...

                                <capugliese@...> wrote:

                                > Smiley,
                                >
                                > From the information I've seen, Arminda Evans Rogers was born in
                                Tennessee to parents who were born in North Carolina and South
                                Carolina (father/mother). The Evans family that Octavia (her
                                daughter) married into were originally from South Carolina and later
                                Georgia, then Alabama. So I don't think Arminda's daughter ,Octavia,
                                who married John A. Evans, married a cousin.

                                > I found the information at a website Gary Rogers sent me:
                                http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=irishmurr2&id=I27072

                                > Here is the information I found:
                                >
                                > a.. ID: I27072
                                > a.. Name: Arminda EVANS
                                > a.. Sex: F
                                > a.. Birth: MAY 1849 in Tennessee
                                > a.. Death: 7 APR 1915
                                > a.. Note: She's found in the 1900 census in Dutton, Jackson County,
                                Alabama: RODGERS, Arminda (51; b. May 1849); grandson Daniel (13; b.
                                Sept. 1886). Arminda was widowed. She was the mother of 7 children, 6
                                of whom were living when this census was taken. She was born in
                                Tennessee, her father in North Carolina and her mother in South
                                Carolina. Daniel was born in Alabama, as were both his parents.
                                Arminda was a farmer.

                                > However, I do believe that one of my collateral lines (my
                                grandmother's oldest sister), did marry a cousin! Her grandparents
                                were Warwick Evans and Susan Wooten. She married a Calvin Meredith
                                Evans, who we think was the son of David Evans, Warwick's brother!
                                I'm not sure what degree cousin that makes them. I found a death
                                certificate (or someone looked up the information for me in Texas)
                                that stated Calvin's parents were an Evans and a Fawcett. We know
                                that David Evans married Phebe Fossett (Danny Evans found that
                                information in a DeKalb county book somewhere). We also know that
                                one of Bryant Evans' sons (Bryant is one of Warwick's and David's
                                uncles) Bethel Quillen Evans lived with a Chapell Q. Fossett and his
                                wife, Sarah Evans (Bethel's sister). Calvin Meredith Evans named
                                one of his sons after Bethel Quillen, according to that B.Q. Evans
                                (who I think is still alive, lives in Texas, but understandably is
                                old and has a failing memory, but remembers being told he was named
                                after a cousin named Bethel Quillen). Phew!

                                > Anyway, that's all I know right now. Every once in a while, I
                                pick up another tidbit of information to chip away at that old brick
                                wall!

                                > Cindy Pugliese
                                >
                                > p.s. I'm sending this to all the Dekalb and Jackson county
                                websites since the Evans family moved between both counties.

                                YATES, MORTON, SARTIN, MOO...

                              • researcher@digginbones.com
                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 23, 2007
                                  Sorry for the automated reply. I will be out of town from March 24 through March 29. I will reply to all messages upon my return.

                                  Thanks for your patience.

                                  Rex Bertram
                                • researcher@digginbones.com

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Mar 23, 2007

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Mar 24, 2007
                                                      He has been placed on "receive no messages" so we should not get any more.

                                                      Anyone going away can change the way they receive their messages then read the missed messages at the group home web site. If you can't figure it out Richard or I will do it for you. If you want to change the way you receive messsages, All , Disgest, or None, Read at Website we can do that for you also.

                                                    • Karl Plenge
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Mar 24, 2007
                                                        Could Clay or someone temporarily suspend this person from the email list? Each time someone sends a message, his auto-reply generates a response, which gets mailed to everyone on the list, including him - and that generates another auto-reply. This will go on all week.

                                                        Thanks!

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Mar 24, 2007
                                                          I had 19 of these messages in my mailbox this morning. This doesn't include those I got yesterday. Clay, can you do something about this? That is more than the number of messages actually received, so this doesn't seem to be acting like an automated reply message.

                                                          Cindy Pugliese

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Mar 24, 2007
                                                            I had 19 of these messages in my mailbox this morning. This doesn't include those I got yesterday. Clay, can you do something about this? That is more than the number of messages actually received, so this doesn't seem to be acting like an automated reply message.

                                                            Cindy Pugliese

                                                            He already corrected it, you shouldn't get any more.