Re: [jacksongenealogy] Paint Rock Valley

  • vrgfdonna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2004
      Kevin,
      What is the surname of your family in Paint Rock Valley?
      Velma

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 7, 2004
        Kevin

        There is not much about Paint Rock Valley Native Americans in Kennamer's "History of Jackson County" except to say there were ancient NA sites there. I do not believe that NA were living in Paint Rock Valley when the white man moved into Madison and Jackson Counties. From what I have read they were mostly in Crow Creek Valley and eastward along the TN River and the eastern part of the county. The part of Jackson County north of the TN River, Bellefonte and west, was ceded by the Cherokees in Feb 1819 though white settlers were already there before 1815. The eastern part of Jackson County across the River was not open for white settlement until the 1830s with the removal of the Cherokees.

        There are few NA listed in Jackson County on the various federal government rolls. Mainly I think because many did not want to be known for their Indian blood.

        There is a book "Pioneers of Paint Rock River Valley" by Hinshaw (out of print) that might have some info about whether or not Native Americans lived there. There is a lady who has the book and will do lookups her name is "Helene" and her email is txphlp44@... .

      • Kevin McMullin
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 7, 2004
          My wifes surname is Davis. She was born to Cecila Davis of Paint Rock and
          her grand father was Charles Sebe Davis (born in Texas) who was the son to
          Thomas Jefferson Davis of Paint Rock.

        • vrgfdonna@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 7, 2004
            Kevin,
            Thanks for answering my question. I looked through some of my Paint Rock
            Valley "stuff", but didn't see your DAVISES. I know nothing about the Native
            Americans of Jackson Co. Sorry. Good luck.
            Velma

          • Shirley Carter
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 8, 2004
              Kevin ,
              My Grooms family were living in Jackson CO., AL . in the 1850 and they
              were known to be full-blooded Cherokee Indian . There daughter marrid my
              gr grandfather Zebedee Taylor her name was Mary Jane Grooms born 1806
              NC. Father was George Grooms born 1780 IT (TN) mother was Millie Cook
              Grooms born 1784 SC. Zebedee and Mary Jane was married in 1827 Franklin
              CO., TN. and they settled in Crow Creek Valley , Franklin CO., TN ,
              while Zebedee's parents and siblings lived in Crow Creek Valley Jackson
              CO., AL. only about 4 miles from each other . Zebedee's father was a
              Indian agfent in bedford TN in 1825 or 1826 and he was not of Indian
              decent that we know of. Now we can't prove ou Indian heritage as the
              Grooms were not on any census unless they used there Indian name , and
              have yet to find that. I am sure they passed for white so never told of
              there Indian heritage. , that is probably why we can't find anything on
              them as well. Good luck in your research.
              Shirley Carter nee Taylor
              Riverside , California

              clay gullatt wrote:

              > Kevin
              >
              > There is not much about Paint Rock Valley Native Americans in
              > Kennamer's "History of Jackson County" except to say there were
              > ancient NA sites there. I do not believe that NA were living in Paint
              > Rock Valley when the white man moved into Madison and Jackson
              > Counties. From what I have read they were mostly in Crow Creek Valley
              > and eastward along the TN River and the eastern part of the county.
              > The part of Jackson County north of the TN River, Bellefonte and west,
              > was ceded by the Cherokees in Feb 1819 though white settlers were
              > already there before 1815. The eastern part of Jackson County across
              > the River was not open for white settlement until the 1830s with the
              > removal of the Cherokees.
              >
              > There are few NA listed in Jackson County on the various federal
              > government rolls. Mainly I think because many did not want to be known
              > for their Indian blood.
              >
              > There is a book "Pioneers of Paint Rock River Valley" by Hinshaw (out
              > of print) that might have some info about whether or not Native
              > Americans lived there. There is a lady who has the book and will do
              > lookups her name is "Helene" and her email is txphlp44@... .
              >
              > Clay

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              [click here]

              > Service.

            • Jewel Casey
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 12, 2004
                Finding marriages in Franklin County, TN that early is fantastic!!! Please let us know how to find the list of marriages that early. Would appreciate it very, very much.

                Jewel

                clay gullatt wrote:

                > Kevin
                >
                > There is not much about Paint Rock Valley Native Americans in
                > Kennamer's "History of Jackson County" except to say there were
                > ancient NA sites there. I do not believe that NA were living in Paint
                > Rock Valley when the white man moved into Madison and Jackson
                > Counties. From what I have read they were mostly in Crow Creek Valley
                > and eastward along the TN River and the eastern part of the county.
                > The part of Jackson County north of the TN River, Bellefonte and west,
                > was ceded by the Cherokees in Feb 1819 though white settlers were
                > already there before 1815. The eastern part of Jackson County across
                > the River was not open for white settlement until the 1830s with the
                > removal of the Cherokees.
                >
                > There are few NA listed in Jackson County on the various federal
                > government rolls. Mainly I think because many did not want to be known
                > for their Indian blood.
                >
                > There is a book "Pioneers of Paint Rock River Valley" by Hinshaw (out
                > of print) that might have some info about whether or not Native
                > Americans lived there. There is a lady who has the book and will do
                > lookups her name is "Helene" and her email is txphlp44@... .
                >
                > Clay

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                [click here]

                > Service.

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Jewel Casey
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 12, 2004
                  Anyone interested in "Paint Rock Valley Pioneers" book, which started out as a cemetery book, should contact Dorothy Scott Johnson at dsjohnso@... and ask her to get in touch with Evelyn Smith Rochelle or Addie Katherine Stovall Shaver. Kittye Vandiver Henshaw passed away a few years back but she has relatives living in Princeton, Jackson County, AL and I'm sure they would be interested to know that this book is still a very important and special book to the people of Jackson County. I was born near Princeton in 1931 and have many relatives still there. I treasure my book each day as I research Alabama.

                  Thanks a million
                  Jewel Dean (Hambrick) Graham Casey

                • capugliese@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 12, 2004
                    Is there anything about the Stringers in the "History of Jackson County"?. My mother's side is descended from Ezekiel Stringer and Cynthia Pierce (or Pearce) (the daughter of Soloman Pierce/Pearce and Virginia Dare Kirby).

[...]

                    Get unlimited calls to
                    U.S./Canada

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  • Bill Bullard
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 12, 2004
                      Jewel, I noticed the name of Hambrick. Did any of your ancestors move to
                      Wood Co, Texas? There were also Vandivers there that were related either to
                      the Chapmans or the Garlands.

                      Thanks for any information,
                      Bill Bullard

                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 13, 2004
                        Mr. Bullard,
                        I am sticking my nose in here. My Aunt Pearl was married to a Shufford Earl
                        Hambrick and they lived in DesArc, Arkansas. I wonder if you might be
                        related to them?

                        Debbie