Re: [jacksongenealogy] Cavin/Matthews/Davis/Lee

  • caroledavis3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
      Hi again! The Martin Davis that you asked about is Martin Van Buren Davis.
      He is one of my husbands grandfather's. I'll get this all together for ya.
      We live in Terrell, Texas. Just down the road from Grandview. Carole

    • Sharon Peel
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
        Carole!

        I can't believe this! This is wonderful! If you knew how many hours I have spent going over censuses etc. trying to find a clue to Bill Davis!! Thank you so much!! So William's middle name was Allen. Oh my gosh!!! And he was a "jr" -- so his father was William Allen Davis!! Did he die in the Civil War -- I had checked for TN Davis' that died in the Civil War -- there were a TON of them. This is just incredible!

        I noticed that you are a Finley -- are you any relationship to the Jess Steve/ Louise Cansadia (Lowe) Finleys?

        Thank you so much for replying to my message. Hopefully I have something somewhere you can use to fill in a gap -- but doggone it, nothing can top receiving your letter!!

        Sincerely,

        Sharon Peel
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 6, 2004
          Send me your regular address so I can send you all of this stuff. It is
          quite a bit especially on William Allen Davis' war record. We do not know where
          he is buried. He got a 90 day furlough for blowing up the steamer "City of
          Vicksburg" and we know that he got home because his wife had a baby 9 months
          after that. Then he gets lost. The other men that were with him that night all
          deserted and were caught but we don't know what happened to WA. He was married
          to Mary Elizabeth Davis (no relation). They had 3 children (that I know of
          there could be more) John Henry Davis, Martin Van Buren Davis (he married Mary
          Angeline Lee 23 Oct. 1870 Jackson Co. Ala.) and William Allen Davis Jr. (he
          married Angie Calvin). I have Calvin. So is it Cavin or Calvin? Martin Van
          Buren is buried at Gunsight Cemetery in Eastland Co Tex. I do not have a place
          for WA, Jr. I have been wanting to go out there to this cemetery but just
          have been putting it off. Almost everyone in this family is buried there.
          William Allen Davis Prt. Cp D, 3 Regiment Tennessee Calvary was credited as
          one of the four men seen running along the shore right after the burning of the
          Confederate Steamer "City Of Vicksburg".( It had fallen into the hands of the
          enemy) We know that William was one of the men rewarded for helping to burn
          this steamer because he and three other men were granted 90 day furloughs.
          These furloughs were granted in consideration of gallant and meritorious conduct
          by the men named. I also have a picture of the steamer that I got at the
          Courthouse Museum in Vicksburg. I also have a picture of WA Jr. and his wife.
          I am currently rearranging all of my genealogy and have misplaced my big sheet
          on this family but I know that it is here. I looked on ancestry.com and was
          surprised that no one has put in anything on this family. I guess we should
          do this. Anyway I'll send you more later and send me your reg. address and I
          can get you copies of everything. TTYL Carole

        • Sam McDowell
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 7, 2004
            Carole,
            Martin Van Buren Davis was married to my
            ggrandfather's sister, Mary Angeline Lee. Do they
            have children?
            Sam

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • myopicme2001
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 7, 2004
              Carole, Is your Davis family from around "Davistown" (between
              Section and Macedonia)? I heard that the original Davistown was
              called that because 3 brothers owned the land in that area. I have
              2 Davis indirectly in my tree: Corsley Davis (died +/- 1865), father
              of Elizabeth Ann Davis (b. 1841). She was my GGG grandfather Story's
              second wife;and James Davis (1869-1911) who was married to Mary Lou
              Story, my GG grandmother's sister. Either of these in your tree?
            • Joe Reynolds
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 7, 2004
                I have a question about your Story line. Do you have any information on
                Pheba Catharine Story (my ggggrandmother) who married a John R. Reynolds?

                Larry "Joe" Reynolds
                Reynolds Family Circle
                http://www.reynoldsfamilycircle.com
                Joe.Reynolds@...

                Carole, Is your Davis family from around "Davistown" (between
                Section and Macedonia)? I heard that the original Davistown was
                called that because 3 brothers owned the land in that area. I have
                2 Davis indirectly in my tree: Corsley Davis (died +/- 1865), father
                of Elizabeth Ann Davis (b. 1841). She was my GGG grandfather Story's
                second wife;and James Davis (1869-1911) who was married to Mary Lou
                Story, my GG grandmother's sister. Either of these in your tree?

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • caroledavis3@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 7, 2004
                  WAs your ggrandfather George Lee or William Allen Davis? If it is George I
                  think you are actually tracking the Sanders family of Jackson Co Ala. Phoebe
                  Sanders Lee had 3 children. Debbie -who married a Fowler and had 9 children
                  and the other child was George by her first husband. Mary Angeline had 5
                  children while living at the Mud Creek community of Jackson Co Ala. Laurah
                  Pencenia Davis born 5Aug 1880, Ada Emaline Davis born 28 Dec. 1881, Martha Davis
                  birth date unknown - she died young from salivation caused by taking calomel
                  medicine and she died unmarried , Thomas Allen Davis born 1 Nov. 1889. and
                  Lemuel Richard Davis born 22 Jan 1897.
                  William Allen Davis married Angie Cavin and they had 4 children. Louis
                  Claiborne ( Bud ) Lee was the fourth son of Mary Elizabeth Davis Lee. and a half
                  brother of John Henry Davis, Martin VAn Buren Davis , William Allen Davis and
                  Hattie Lee. Louis married Lyda Strange at 'Albertsville Alabama in 1892. They
                  had a total of 10 children.
                  Now before I completely confuse you let's back up. Mary Lou Lee was born in
                  Penn on 19 Jan 1807 and married Louis Davis around 1835. She and Louis had
                  two daughters - Mary Elizabeth born on 15 May 1839 in Penn and Nancy born in
                  1841. They moved to Tenn around 1847. Nancy (Nannie) was married to James (Jim)
                  Lee on 25 Dec 1862 Winnchester Franklin Co Tenn. by E. H. Poe Justice of the
                  Peace. Nancy and James Lee were cousins and had one daughter - Hattie Lee
                  born about 1860 in Tenn. Mary Elizabeth married William Allen Davis in Tenn in
                  1858/1859 and they had 3 children. John Henry, Martin VAnBuren and William
                  Allen Jr.
                  Nancy took sick during the war and died. Before she died she asked her
                  sister to take her daughter Hattie and raise her and then marry her husband James
                  Lee. James Lee and Nancy were married around 1864 and from this marriage came
                  Louis Claiborne Lee.

                  There are 2 James Lee. One who married first Nancy Lee and then her sister
                  Mary Elizsabeth. The other James Lee was in Marion Co Tex and my father in law
                  knew him personally.
                  I have just a lot of stuff to copy and send to you. We are going out of
                  town this week end so it will be next week before I can get it all copied. There
                  are probably 25 to 35 pages to send to you. I will copy some of these
                  letters that Louie Davis first wrote to the Alabama cousins back in the
                  1970's. There is a lot of talk about these Lee's being kin to Robert E Lee but so
                  far this has not been proven. We have a cousin Terry Lee that is also on the
                  Jackson Co email list and he has done a lot of research on this line and so
                  far there is no proof that they are any kin to RE Lee. Of course everyone in
                  the South wants to be kin to him.. Louie started doing his research way
                  before it was popular. You couldn't even zerox anything when he started. So
                  remember it is always good to compare notes and research it for yourself. I'm
                  sorry to say that I haven't done very much with this line. That is my goal for
                  the year to start on this line and see what else I can find. TTYL CArole

                • caroledavis3@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 7, 2004
                    Who is your ggrandfather? I can look it up on all of this info and send it
                    on to you. I did look all of this up for you and it is Cavin not Calvin. I
                    guess I either thought there was a mistake or I just copied it wrong. Carole

                  • treinfelder@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 8, 2004
                      If you are tracking George Lee, I believe you are related to my family. I have information on a George Lee and a Pheba Sanders of Jackson County.

                      I'd love to share information with you if this is the side you are interested in.

                      Toni

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      To visit your group on the web, go to:

                    • caroledavis3@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 8, 2004
                        Phoebe Sanders Lee was my husband's grandmother - ever how many greats she
                        is. He is from her daughter Mary Angeline Lee. I would love to share info.
                        Thanks Carole Davis

                      • treinfelder@comcast.net

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 8, 2004
                            Yes, my gggrandfather was George J Lee married to
                            Nancy J Higginbotham. Thank you for the information.
                            Phobe Lee had Deborah Emaline, Mary Angeline, Malinda,
                            Samuel,and George J Lee.
                            I found a Malinda married to Levi Mashborne, which I
                            believe is Phobe's daughter. Some of the information
                            seems to fit anyway. Also found Mary Davis in The
                            1880 census with Pheba living with her.

                            1880 census, Jackson Co, Trenton
                            Levi Mashborne, head, 30, farmer, b. Tn Tn Tn
                            Malinda, wife, 35, Al Tn Al
                            James A, son, 12, Al
                            Levi N,son, 10, al
                            Mary E, dau, 8, Al
                            William, son, 6, Al
                            Pheba E, dau, 2, Al
                            Margaret, dau, 1/12, May 1880

                            1880 Census, Jackson Co Trenton
                            Martin Davis, head, 18, farmer Tn Tn Tn
                            Mary, wife, 23, Al, SC, NC
                            Pheba Lee, mother in law, widow, NC NC NC

                            I have corresponded with Terry Lee, he has been a gret
                            help to me.

                            Thanks again for the children of Mary and Martin
                            Davis.

                            Sam

                            http://vote.yahoo.com