Re: [jacksongenealogy] Cavin/Matthews/Davis/Lee

  • caroledavis3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
      Hello! My name is Carole Davis and my husband's family is the William Allen
      Davis that you mentioned. I do have a lot of info on this Davis family.
      William is probably buried at Gun Sight Cemetery in Eastland Co Tex. This is where
      the rest of the family is buried. William Allen Davis was a Jr. I have a
      picture of him. His father was also a William Allen Davis. I do have his Civil
      War records where he and 3 of his friends from the same town in Tenn blew up
      the steamer " City of Vicksburg" after it got captured by the Yankee's ( sorry
      all of you northerner's). 2 Davis lines married in Jackson County and I will
      have to refresh my memory and see which one is WA's line but I do have
      information for you. Let me hear from you. Carole Finley Davis

    • caroledavis3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
        Hi again! The Martin Davis that you asked about is Martin Van Buren Davis.
        He is one of my husbands grandfather's. I'll get this all together for ya.
        We live in Terrell, Texas. Just down the road from Grandview. Carole

      • Sharon Peel
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
          Carole!

          I can't believe this! This is wonderful! If you knew how many hours I have spent going over censuses etc. trying to find a clue to Bill Davis!! Thank you so much!! So William's middle name was Allen. Oh my gosh!!! And he was a "jr" -- so his father was William Allen Davis!! Did he die in the Civil War -- I had checked for TN Davis' that died in the Civil War -- there were a TON of them. This is just incredible!

          I noticed that you are a Finley -- are you any relationship to the Jess Steve/ Louise Cansadia (Lowe) Finleys?

          Thank you so much for replying to my message. Hopefully I have something somewhere you can use to fill in a gap -- but doggone it, nothing can top receiving your letter!!

          Sincerely,

          Sharon Peel
          Hello! My name is Carole Davis and my husband's family is the William Allen
          Davis that you mentioned. I do have a lot of info on this Davis family.
          William is probably buried at Gun Sight Cemetery in Eastland Co Tex. This is where
          the rest of the family is buried. William Allen Davis was a Jr. I have a
          picture of him. His father was also a William Allen Davis. I do have his Civil
          War records where he and 3 of his friends from the same town in Tenn blew up
          the steamer " City of Vicksburg" after it got captured by the Yankee's ( sorry
          all of you northerner's). 2 Davis lines married in Jackson County and I will
          have to refresh my memory and see which one is WA's line but I do have
          information for you. Let me hear from you. Carole Finley Davis

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Select Your State:AlabamaAlaskaArkansasArizonaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMissippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew HampshireNew MexicoNew JerseyNew YorkNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaOklahomaOhioOregonPennsylvaniaRhode IslandSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWashington D.C.West VirginiaWisconsinWyoming

          PurchaseRefinance

        • caroledavis3@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 6, 2004
            Send me your regular address so I can send you all of this stuff. It is
            quite a bit especially on William Allen Davis' war record. We do not know where
            he is buried. He got a 90 day furlough for blowing up the steamer "City of
            Vicksburg" and we know that he got home because his wife had a baby 9 months
            after that. Then he gets lost. The other men that were with him that night all
            deserted and were caught but we don't know what happened to WA. He was married
            to Mary Elizabeth Davis (no relation). They had 3 children (that I know of
            there could be more) John Henry Davis, Martin Van Buren Davis (he married Mary
            Angeline Lee 23 Oct. 1870 Jackson Co. Ala.) and William Allen Davis Jr. (he
            married Angie Calvin). I have Calvin. So is it Cavin or Calvin? Martin Van
            Buren is buried at Gunsight Cemetery in Eastland Co Tex. I do not have a place
            for WA, Jr. I have been wanting to go out there to this cemetery but just
            have been putting it off. Almost everyone in this family is buried there.
            William Allen Davis Prt. Cp D, 3 Regiment Tennessee Calvary was credited as
            one of the four men seen running along the shore right after the burning of the
            Confederate Steamer "City Of Vicksburg".( It had fallen into the hands of the
            enemy) We know that William was one of the men rewarded for helping to burn
            this steamer because he and three other men were granted 90 day furloughs.
            These furloughs were granted in consideration of gallant and meritorious conduct
            by the men named. I also have a picture of the steamer that I got at the
            Courthouse Museum in Vicksburg. I also have a picture of WA Jr. and his wife.
            I am currently rearranging all of my genealogy and have misplaced my big sheet
            on this family but I know that it is here. I looked on ancestry.com and was
            surprised that no one has put in anything on this family. I guess we should
            do this. Anyway I'll send you more later and send me your reg. address and I
            can get you copies of everything. TTYL Carole

          • Sam McDowell
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 7, 2004
              Carole,
              Martin Van Buren Davis was married to my
              ggrandfather's sister, Mary Angeline Lee. Do they
              have children?
              Sam

              http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
            • myopicme2001
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 7, 2004
                Carole, Is your Davis family from around "Davistown" (between
                Section and Macedonia)? I heard that the original Davistown was
                called that because 3 brothers owned the land in that area. I have
                2 Davis indirectly in my tree: Corsley Davis (died +/- 1865), father
                of Elizabeth Ann Davis (b. 1841). She was my GGG grandfather Story's
                second wife;and James Davis (1869-1911) who was married to Mary Lou
                Story, my GG grandmother's sister. Either of these in your tree?
              • Joe Reynolds
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 7, 2004
                  I have a question about your Story line. Do you have any information on
                  Pheba Catharine Story (my ggggrandmother) who married a John R. Reynolds?

                  Larry "Joe" Reynolds
                  Reynolds Family Circle
                  http://www.reynoldsfamilycircle.com
                  Joe.Reynolds@...

                  Carole, Is your Davis family from around "Davistown" (between
                  Section and Macedonia)? I heard that the original Davistown was
                  called that because 3 brothers owned the land in that area. I have
                  2 Davis indirectly in my tree: Corsley Davis (died +/- 1865), father
                  of Elizabeth Ann Davis (b. 1841). She was my GGG grandfather Story's
                  second wife;and James Davis (1869-1911) who was married to Mary Lou
                  Story, my GG grandmother's sister. Either of these in your tree?

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • caroledavis3@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 7, 2004
                    WAs your ggrandfather George Lee or William Allen Davis? If it is George I
                    think you are actually tracking the Sanders family of Jackson Co Ala. Phoebe
                    Sanders Lee had 3 children. Debbie -who married a Fowler and had 9 children
                    and the other child was George by her first husband. Mary Angeline had 5
                    children while living at the Mud Creek community of Jackson Co Ala. Laurah
                    Pencenia Davis born 5Aug 1880, Ada Emaline Davis born 28 Dec. 1881, Martha Davis
                    birth date unknown - she died young from salivation caused by taking calomel
                    medicine and she died unmarried , Thomas Allen Davis born 1 Nov. 1889. and
                    Lemuel Richard Davis born 22 Jan 1897.
                    William Allen Davis married Angie Cavin and they had 4 children. Louis
                    Claiborne ( Bud ) Lee was the fourth son of Mary Elizabeth Davis Lee. and a half
                    brother of John Henry Davis, Martin VAn Buren Davis , William Allen Davis and
                    Hattie Lee. Louis married Lyda Strange at 'Albertsville Alabama in 1892. They
                    had a total of 10 children.
                    Now before I completely confuse you let's back up. Mary Lou Lee was born in
                    Penn on 19 Jan 1807 and married Louis Davis around 1835. She and Louis had
                    two daughters - Mary Elizabeth born on 15 May 1839 in Penn and Nancy born in
                    1841. They moved to Tenn around 1847. Nancy (Nannie) was married to James (Jim)
                    Lee on 25 Dec 1862 Winnchester Franklin Co Tenn. by E. H. Poe Justice of the
                    Peace. Nancy and James Lee were cousins and had one daughter - Hattie Lee
                    born about 1860 in Tenn. Mary Elizabeth married William Allen Davis in Tenn in
                    1858/1859 and they had 3 children. John Henry, Martin VAnBuren and William
                    Allen Jr.
                    Nancy took sick during the war and died. Before she died she asked her
                    sister to take her daughter Hattie and raise her and then marry her husband James
                    Lee. James Lee and Nancy were married around 1864 and from this marriage came
                    Louis Claiborne Lee.

                    There are 2 James Lee. One who married first Nancy Lee and then her sister
                    Mary Elizsabeth. The other James Lee was in Marion Co Tex and my father in law
                    knew him personally.
                    I have just a lot of stuff to copy and send to you. We are going out of
                    town this week end so it will be next week before I can get it all copied. There
                    are probably 25 to 35 pages to send to you. I will copy some of these
                    letters that Louie Davis first wrote to the Alabama cousins back in the
                    1970's. There is a lot of talk about these Lee's being kin to Robert E Lee but so
                    far this has not been proven. We have a cousin Terry Lee that is also on the
                    Jackson Co email list and he has done a lot of research on this line and so
                    far there is no proof that they are any kin to RE Lee. Of course everyone in
                    the South wants to be kin to him.. Louie started doing his research way
                    before it was popular. You couldn't even zerox anything when he started. So
                    remember it is always good to compare notes and research it for yourself. I'm
                    sorry to say that I haven't done very much with this line. That is my goal for
                    the year to start on this line and see what else I can find. TTYL CArole

                  • caroledavis3@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 7, 2004
                      Who is your ggrandfather? I can look it up on all of this info and send it
                      on to you. I did look all of this up for you and it is Cavin not Calvin. I
                      guess I either thought there was a mistake or I just copied it wrong. Carole

                    • treinfelder@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 8, 2004
                        If you are tracking George Lee, I believe you are related to my family. I have information on a George Lee and a Pheba Sanders of Jackson County.

                        I'd love to share information with you if this is the side you are interested in.

                        Toni

                        To visit your group on the web, go to:

                      • caroledavis3@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 8, 2004
                          Phoebe Sanders Lee was my husband's grandmother - ever how many greats she
                          is. He is from her daughter Mary Angeline Lee. I would love to share info.
                          Thanks Carole Davis

                        • treinfelder@comcast.net

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 8, 2004
                              Yes, my gggrandfather was George J Lee married to
                              Nancy J Higginbotham. Thank you for the information.
                              Phobe Lee had Deborah Emaline, Mary Angeline, Malinda,
                              Samuel,and George J Lee.
                              I found a Malinda married to Levi Mashborne, which I
                              believe is Phobe's daughter. Some of the information
                              seems to fit anyway. Also found Mary Davis in The
                              1880 census with Pheba living with her.

                              1880 census, Jackson Co, Trenton
                              Levi Mashborne, head, 30, farmer, b. Tn Tn Tn
                              Malinda, wife, 35, Al Tn Al
                              James A, son, 12, Al
                              Levi N,son, 10, al
                              Mary E, dau, 8, Al
                              William, son, 6, Al
                              Pheba E, dau, 2, Al
                              Margaret, dau, 1/12, May 1880

                              1880 Census, Jackson Co Trenton
                              Martin Davis, head, 18, farmer Tn Tn Tn
                              Mary, wife, 23, Al, SC, NC
                              Pheba Lee, mother in law, widow, NC NC NC

                              I have corresponded with Terry Lee, he has been a gret
                              help to me.

                              Thanks again for the children of Mary and Martin
                              Davis.

                              Sam

                              http://vote.yahoo.com