Cavin/Matthews/Davis/Lee

  • speel246
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 4, 2004
      Thank you for the invitation to join your website!

      I am researching Robert John CAVIN b abt 1821 TN, d abt 1883 Jackson
      Co, AL. Robert married Martha Lucinia MATTHEWS (MATHIS) b abt 1825
      Big Coon, Jackson Co, AL, d after 1880, probably Jackson Co, AL.
      Martha is the daughter of Walker and Luvinia (ISBELL) MATTHEWS.

      Robert CAVIN first appears on the 1840 Jackson Co, AL census. He is
      on the same page as Walker Matthews, Ananias Cavin and William
      Cavin. I am trying to prove that Robert is the son of Ananias CAVIN
      b 1785 in Hawkins Co, TN or VA and Margaret HAMILTON. Ananias is
      documented as having a son, William, b abt 1815 who married a Mary
      Martha Tussey. The William that appears with the Ananias on the
      1840 Jackson Co, AL census is of the right age group to have been
      that William, and the Ananias on the same page is of the same age
      group to have been the Ananias who married Margaret Hamilton but I
      have no proof that they are one and the same. Currently, I am
      waiting (and waiting and waiting :) on Mexican War information to
      see if my Robert fought in that war and might have records or a
      pension. I have found a Joseph CAVIN who fought in that war; he was
      a private in Captain Richard Jones, Co F, 1st Regt of the AL Vols
      commanded by Col John R Coffee; his widow's pension documents that
      Joseph is the son of Ananias. I'm hoping some of Ananias' other
      sons also fought in that War, especially Robert, leaving some
      genealogy clues.

      Robert and Martha (MATTHEWS)Cavin's daughter, Martha Angeline CAVIN
      married William A DAVIS. William is another puzzle I am trying to
      unravel. William's tombstone in the Eastland City Cem, Eastland Co,
      TX: b. July 17, 1863 (TN), d. Feb 23, 1948 (TX). William and Angie
      were married Feb 22, 1883 in Jackson Co, AL. William's step father,
      James LEE, posted the marriage bond for William. I have been unable
      to find William or his brother John H DAVIS (identified on later
      censuses) with their mother Mary (unknown) and father unknown)DAVIS
      on any earlier censuses. Evidence on the 1880 Jackson Co, AL census
      where Mary has married James Lee and has born him children in
      Tennessee suggests they were in TN when they were married; I have
      been unable to locate a marriage license for them. The Jackson Co,
      AL 1880 census:

      James Lee self married M W 45 AR farmer VA IL
      Mary wife married F W 46 TN housekeeping TN NC
      Martha dtr single F W 9 TN AR TN
      Lewis C son Single M W 6 TN AR TN
      Charly F son single M W 2 TN AR TN
      William Davis Stepson single M W 14 TN farm hand TN TN
      Malinda Nolly other single F W 25 TN farm Hand TN TN
      Mollie Nolly other single F W 1 AL TN TN
      next door is William's brother John:
      1880 Jackson Co, AL census p 150B (living next to James Lee)
      John H Davis 21 TN TN TN farmer
      Polly A Davis 35 TN TN TN
      Jack Smith SSon 13 TN TN TN

      William A and Angie DAVIS moved to Texas after the birth of their
      first child:

      1900 Eastland Co, TX census, p 129 A
      342/348 Davis, William A head W M Jul 1864 35 married 17 years TN
      TN TN farmer can read, write, speak English, rents farm, sched 247
      Angie wife W F Feb 1864 36 married 17 years, 5 children--4 living AL
      AL AL can read/write/speak Eng
      Robert son W M Feb 1884 16 Single AL TN AL at school 5 months can
      read/write/speak Eng
      John M son W M Dec 1885 14 single TX TN AL at school 5 months can
      read/write/speak Eng
      Sarah J dtr W F Feb 1887 13 single TX TN AL at school 5 months can
      read/write/speak Eng
      Selmie S dtr W F Mar 1891 10 single TX TN AL at school 5 months can
      read/write/speak Eng
      Caldwell, Joseph boarder
      Tucker, Julius boarder
      There is a Martin Davis on the same page, but he was born in TX.
      =================
      1910 Eastland Co, TX census p 50
      Living next to daughter Selma and husband William Finley
      102/105 Davis, William A head M W 46 m1 27 years TN TN TN English
      farmer E can read/write, renting a farm, sched #91, no war service
      Angeline wife F W 46 M1 27 yrs, bore 6 children, 4 living AL AL AL
      English none can read/write
      James R (Robert--Bob) son M W 26 single AL TN AL English farm
      laborer (house or Horse Farmer) W can read/write
      =================
      1930 Easland Co, TX census, Justice Pct 6
      88/84 Davis Walter (error) A head renting a farm, M W 66, married at
      age 21, did not attend school this year, can read/write TN TN TN,
      speaks English retired, not a veteran
      Angie Wife F W 67 M at age 21, did not attend school this year, can
      read/write AL AL AL none
      John M son M W 44 single, did not attend school this year, can
      read/write TX TN AL, farmer - general farm, not a veteran
      Ella dtr F W 18 single, did not attend school this year, can
      read/write TX TN AL none
      Rosalle dtr F W 16 Single, did not attend school this year, can
      read/write TX TN AL none
      =======================
      If anyone has any clues to Robert Cavin's parents -- or any further
      information on the William and Ananias on the 1840 Jackson Co, AL
      census -- or any information on the parents of William A Davis and
      John H Davis -- or any clues to the identity of James Lee, I would
      love to talk to you!

      Thank you,

      Sharon Peel
      Grandview, TX
    • caroledavis3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
        Hello! My name is Carole Davis and my husband's family is the William Allen
        Davis that you mentioned. I do have a lot of info on this Davis family.
        William is probably buried at Gun Sight Cemetery in Eastland Co Tex. This is where
        the rest of the family is buried. William Allen Davis was a Jr. I have a
        picture of him. His father was also a William Allen Davis. I do have his Civil
        War records where he and 3 of his friends from the same town in Tenn blew up
        the steamer " City of Vicksburg" after it got captured by the Yankee's ( sorry
        all of you northerner's). 2 Davis lines married in Jackson County and I will
        have to refresh my memory and see which one is WA's line but I do have
        information for you. Let me hear from you. Carole Finley Davis

      • caroledavis3@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
          Hi again! The Martin Davis that you asked about is Martin Van Buren Davis.
          He is one of my husbands grandfather's. I'll get this all together for ya.
          We live in Terrell, Texas. Just down the road from Grandview. Carole

        • Sharon Peel
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2004
            Carole!

            I can't believe this! This is wonderful! If you knew how many hours I have spent going over censuses etc. trying to find a clue to Bill Davis!! Thank you so much!! So William's middle name was Allen. Oh my gosh!!! And he was a "jr" -- so his father was William Allen Davis!! Did he die in the Civil War -- I had checked for TN Davis' that died in the Civil War -- there were a TON of them. This is just incredible!

            I noticed that you are a Finley -- are you any relationship to the Jess Steve/ Louise Cansadia (Lowe) Finleys?

            Thank you so much for replying to my message. Hopefully I have something somewhere you can use to fill in a gap -- but doggone it, nothing can top receiving your letter!!

            Sincerely,

            Sharon Peel
            Hello! My name is Carole Davis and my husband's family is the William Allen
            Davis that you mentioned. I do have a lot of info on this Davis family.
            William is probably buried at Gun Sight Cemetery in Eastland Co Tex. This is where
            the rest of the family is buried. William Allen Davis was a Jr. I have a
            picture of him. His father was also a William Allen Davis. I do have his Civil
            War records where he and 3 of his friends from the same town in Tenn blew up
            the steamer " City of Vicksburg" after it got captured by the Yankee's ( sorry
            all of you northerner's). 2 Davis lines married in Jackson County and I will
            have to refresh my memory and see which one is WA's line but I do have
            information for you. Let me hear from you. Carole Finley Davis

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Select Your State:AlabamaAlaskaArkansasArizonaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMissippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew HampshireNew MexicoNew JerseyNew YorkNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaOklahomaOhioOregonPennsylvaniaRhode IslandSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWashington D.C.West VirginiaWisconsinWyoming

            PurchaseRefinance

          • caroledavis3@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 6, 2004
              Send me your regular address so I can send you all of this stuff. It is
              quite a bit especially on William Allen Davis' war record. We do not know where
              he is buried. He got a 90 day furlough for blowing up the steamer "City of
              Vicksburg" and we know that he got home because his wife had a baby 9 months
              after that. Then he gets lost. The other men that were with him that night all
              deserted and were caught but we don't know what happened to WA. He was married
              to Mary Elizabeth Davis (no relation). They had 3 children (that I know of
              there could be more) John Henry Davis, Martin Van Buren Davis (he married Mary
              Angeline Lee 23 Oct. 1870 Jackson Co. Ala.) and William Allen Davis Jr. (he
              married Angie Calvin). I have Calvin. So is it Cavin or Calvin? Martin Van
              Buren is buried at Gunsight Cemetery in Eastland Co Tex. I do not have a place
              for WA, Jr. I have been wanting to go out there to this cemetery but just
              have been putting it off. Almost everyone in this family is buried there.
              William Allen Davis Prt. Cp D, 3 Regiment Tennessee Calvary was credited as
              one of the four men seen running along the shore right after the burning of the
              Confederate Steamer "City Of Vicksburg".( It had fallen into the hands of the
              enemy) We know that William was one of the men rewarded for helping to burn
              this steamer because he and three other men were granted 90 day furloughs.
              These furloughs were granted in consideration of gallant and meritorious conduct
              by the men named. I also have a picture of the steamer that I got at the
              Courthouse Museum in Vicksburg. I also have a picture of WA Jr. and his wife.
              I am currently rearranging all of my genealogy and have misplaced my big sheet
              on this family but I know that it is here. I looked on ancestry.com and was
              surprised that no one has put in anything on this family. I guess we should
              do this. Anyway I'll send you more later and send me your reg. address and I
              can get you copies of everything. TTYL Carole

            • Sam McDowell
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 7, 2004
                Carole,
                Martin Van Buren Davis was married to my
                ggrandfather's sister, Mary Angeline Lee. Do they
                have children?
                Sam

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              • myopicme2001
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 7, 2004
                  Carole, Is your Davis family from around "Davistown" (between
                  Section and Macedonia)? I heard that the original Davistown was
                  called that because 3 brothers owned the land in that area. I have
                  2 Davis indirectly in my tree: Corsley Davis (died +/- 1865), father
                  of Elizabeth Ann Davis (b. 1841). She was my GGG grandfather Story's
                  second wife;and James Davis (1869-1911) who was married to Mary Lou
                  Story, my GG grandmother's sister. Either of these in your tree?
                • Joe Reynolds
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 7, 2004
                    I have a question about your Story line. Do you have any information on
                    Pheba Catharine Story (my ggggrandmother) who married a John R. Reynolds?

                    Larry "Joe" Reynolds
                    Reynolds Family Circle
                    http://www.reynoldsfamilycircle.com
                    Joe.Reynolds@...

                    Carole, Is your Davis family from around "Davistown" (between
                    Section and Macedonia)? I heard that the original Davistown was
                    called that because 3 brothers owned the land in that area. I have
                    2 Davis indirectly in my tree: Corsley Davis (died +/- 1865), father
                    of Elizabeth Ann Davis (b. 1841). She was my GGG grandfather Story's
                    second wife;and James Davis (1869-1911) who was married to Mary Lou
                    Story, my GG grandmother's sister. Either of these in your tree?

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • caroledavis3@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 7, 2004
                      WAs your ggrandfather George Lee or William Allen Davis? If it is George I
                      think you are actually tracking the Sanders family of Jackson Co Ala. Phoebe
                      Sanders Lee had 3 children. Debbie -who married a Fowler and had 9 children
                      and the other child was George by her first husband. Mary Angeline had 5
                      children while living at the Mud Creek community of Jackson Co Ala. Laurah
                      Pencenia Davis born 5Aug 1880, Ada Emaline Davis born 28 Dec. 1881, Martha Davis
                      birth date unknown - she died young from salivation caused by taking calomel
                      medicine and she died unmarried , Thomas Allen Davis born 1 Nov. 1889. and
                      Lemuel Richard Davis born 22 Jan 1897.
                      William Allen Davis married Angie Cavin and they had 4 children. Louis
                      Claiborne ( Bud ) Lee was the fourth son of Mary Elizabeth Davis Lee. and a half
                      brother of John Henry Davis, Martin VAn Buren Davis , William Allen Davis and
                      Hattie Lee. Louis married Lyda Strange at 'Albertsville Alabama in 1892. They
                      had a total of 10 children.
                      Now before I completely confuse you let's back up. Mary Lou Lee was born in
                      Penn on 19 Jan 1807 and married Louis Davis around 1835. She and Louis had
                      two daughters - Mary Elizabeth born on 15 May 1839 in Penn and Nancy born in
                      1841. They moved to Tenn around 1847. Nancy (Nannie) was married to James (Jim)
                      Lee on 25 Dec 1862 Winnchester Franklin Co Tenn. by E. H. Poe Justice of the
                      Peace. Nancy and James Lee were cousins and had one daughter - Hattie Lee
                      born about 1860 in Tenn. Mary Elizabeth married William Allen Davis in Tenn in
                      1858/1859 and they had 3 children. John Henry, Martin VAnBuren and William
                      Allen Jr.
                      Nancy took sick during the war and died. Before she died she asked her
                      sister to take her daughter Hattie and raise her and then marry her husband James
                      Lee. James Lee and Nancy were married around 1864 and from this marriage came
                      Louis Claiborne Lee.

                      There are 2 James Lee. One who married first Nancy Lee and then her sister
                      Mary Elizsabeth. The other James Lee was in Marion Co Tex and my father in law
                      knew him personally.
                      I have just a lot of stuff to copy and send to you. We are going out of
                      town this week end so it will be next week before I can get it all copied. There
                      are probably 25 to 35 pages to send to you. I will copy some of these
                      letters that Louie Davis first wrote to the Alabama cousins back in the
                      1970's. There is a lot of talk about these Lee's being kin to Robert E Lee but so
                      far this has not been proven. We have a cousin Terry Lee that is also on the
                      Jackson Co email list and he has done a lot of research on this line and so
                      far there is no proof that they are any kin to RE Lee. Of course everyone in
                      the South wants to be kin to him.. Louie started doing his research way
                      before it was popular. You couldn't even zerox anything when he started. So
                      remember it is always good to compare notes and research it for yourself. I'm
                      sorry to say that I haven't done very much with this line. That is my goal for
                      the year to start on this line and see what else I can find. TTYL CArole

                    • caroledavis3@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 7, 2004
                        Who is your ggrandfather? I can look it up on all of this info and send it
                        on to you. I did look all of this up for you and it is Cavin not Calvin. I
                        guess I either thought there was a mistake or I just copied it wrong. Carole

                      • treinfelder@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 8, 2004
                          If you are tracking George Lee, I believe you are related to my family. I have information on a George Lee and a Pheba Sanders of Jackson County.

                          I'd love to share information with you if this is the side you are interested in.

                          Toni

                          To visit your group on the web, go to:

                        • caroledavis3@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 8, 2004
                            Phoebe Sanders Lee was my husband's grandmother - ever how many greats she
                            is. He is from her daughter Mary Angeline Lee. I would love to share info.
                            Thanks Carole Davis

                          • treinfelder@comcast.net

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 8, 2004
                                Yes, my gggrandfather was George J Lee married to
                                Nancy J Higginbotham. Thank you for the information.
                                Phobe Lee had Deborah Emaline, Mary Angeline, Malinda,
                                Samuel,and George J Lee.
                                I found a Malinda married to Levi Mashborne, which I
                                believe is Phobe's daughter. Some of the information
                                seems to fit anyway. Also found Mary Davis in The
                                1880 census with Pheba living with her.

                                1880 census, Jackson Co, Trenton
                                Levi Mashborne, head, 30, farmer, b. Tn Tn Tn
                                Malinda, wife, 35, Al Tn Al
                                James A, son, 12, Al
                                Levi N,son, 10, al
                                Mary E, dau, 8, Al
                                William, son, 6, Al
                                Pheba E, dau, 2, Al
                                Margaret, dau, 1/12, May 1880

                                1880 Census, Jackson Co Trenton
                                Martin Davis, head, 18, farmer Tn Tn Tn
                                Mary, wife, 23, Al, SC, NC
                                Pheba Lee, mother in law, widow, NC NC NC

                                I have corresponded with Terry Lee, he has been a gret
                                help to me.

                                Thanks again for the children of Mary and Martin
                                Davis.

                                Sam

                                http://vote.yahoo.com