Re: [jacksongenealogy] Isbell Family

  • prm@hiwaay.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 14, 2004
      Luvina Isbell, wife of Walker Mathews of Big Coon was 16 years his junior. They
      were married 24 Feb 1818. She was born 1804 in Kentucky. Died 12 Apr 1878 in
      Jackson County, Alabama. I have seen no proof that she was the daughter of
      Godfrey Isbell. Although they did have a son they named Godfrey. Her name is
      spelled Luvina and not Lavina on her last will. Walker died in 1860, but in the
      42 years of their marriage, they had a child every two years for 24 years,
      twelve children who lived to adulthood.

      I do have copies of land grants that show that Walker Mathews and Levi Isbell
      bought adjoining land in the head of Big Coon Valley at about the same time in
      the early 1830s. All of the other Isbells in the county were down in the
      Larkisville and Paint Rock Valley areas I believe.

      Richard