Member

  • Lorraine Cooper
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 6, 2004
      I am researching Thompson and Mathis, or Mathews

    • Robert Patterson
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 6, 2004
        i am researching ,mathis, mathews ,matthews ,robertson,and sarah patterson family that lived at big coon. family went by mathis in 1840,1850,1860, then change to mathews mary mathews married james m robertson in 1866 ggrandmother and ggrandfather sarah patterson was ggrandmother to her kids names was gilly, sarah , james , mary,john ,henry, william s , julia p . my great aunt married her uncle who name was john mathews.

        Lorraine Cooper <rubyrain@...> wrote:I am researching Thompson and Mathis, or Mathews

      • Lorraine Cooper
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
          I have not been able to trace Mathis or Mathews any farther back than my grandfather James Albert Mathis b. in Tn, June 1867, but lived in Jackson Co when he married Aug 4 1887. He was called Mathews then. He married Emely Thompson b.1872 in AL. Her parents were Wm.b.1858 in AL. and Nancy Thompson b.1858 in AL. his parents were both born in AL. Her's were born in Ind. Territory.
          i am researching ,mathis, mathews ,matthews ,robertson,and sarah patterson family that lived at big coon. family went by mathis in 1840,1850,1860, then change to mathews mary mathews married james m robertson in 1866 ggrandmother and ggrandfather sarah patterson was ggrandmother to her kids names was gilly, sarah , james , mary,john ,henry, william s , julia p . my great aunt married her uncle who name was john mathews.

          Lorraine Cooper <rubyrain@...> wrote:I am researching Thompson and Mathis, or Mathews

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Robert Patterson
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
            try john thomas mathis or mathews he is my gggrandfather he shows up on census in 1840,1850,1860, as mathis then his kids show up as mathews lather

            Lorraine Cooper <rubyrain@...> wrote:I have not been able to trace Mathis or Mathews any farther back than my grandfather James Albert Mathis b. in Tn, June 1867, but lived in Jackson Co when he married Aug 4 1887. He was called Mathews then. He married Emely Thompson b.1872 in AL. Her parents were Wm.b.1858 in AL. and Nancy Thompson b.1858 in AL. his parents were both born in AL. Her's were born in Ind. Territory.
            i am researching ,mathis, mathews ,matthews ,robertson,and sarah patterson family that lived at big coon. family went by mathis in 1840,1850,1860, then change to mathews mary mathews married james m robertson in 1866 ggrandmother and ggrandfather sarah patterson was ggrandmother to her kids names was gilly, sarah , james , mary,john ,henry, william s , julia p . my great aunt married her uncle who name was john mathews.

            Lorraine Cooper wrote:I am researching Thompson and Mathis, or Mathews

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • prm@hiwaay.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
              The Mathis family of Big Coon started with Walker Mathis is Matthews Cove. See
              http://hiwaay.net/~prm/Matthews.html. Many of his descendents used
              the "Mathews" name, some like me, use the "Matthews" name. Jackson County is
              full of Mathis, Mathews, Matthews family because the family has been here for
              eight generations. The ones who left moved on to Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas.

              There was another Matthews family in Little Coon that claimed no kin to the Big
              Coon family. They were James and John Matthews from the Leunburg Va area. They
              also have many descendents in Jackson County.

              Both families settled here in the early 1800's and are linked to souther TN
              families just across the state line to our north.

              Richard Matthews

              Quoting Lorraine Cooper <rubyrain@...>:

              > I have not been able to trace Mathis or Mathews any farther back than my
              > grandfather James Albert Mathis b. in Tn, June 1867, but lived in
              > Jackson Co when he married Aug 4 1887. He was called Mathews then. He
              > married Emely Thompson b.1872 in AL. Her parents were Wm.b.1858 in AL.
              > and Nancy Thompson b.1858 in AL. his parents were both born in AL. Her's
              > were born in Ind. Territory.

            • Robert Patterson
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                my ggrandmother was raised in mathews colve her name was mary mathews father was john thomas

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                  and i do live in oklahoma my grandmother was mary francis robertson she had uncle name was i belive was richard mathews

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                    I would like to share what I know about the Mathis name in Jackson County. The
                    earliest record I have is a land grant to Walker Mathis for his land in
                    Matthews Cove Big Coon Alabama. The deed clearly list his last name as Mathis.
                    His own children and late on even Walker used the family name Mathews. In
                    those early days, many of our ancestors could not read, nor write and when they
                    had legal work done the clerk wrote down what the person said, sometimes
                    incorrectly. I'm sure Walker said "Mathis" was his last name for that is the
                    way all oldtimers pronounced both Mathews and Matthews in this area. Even today
                    many local people call the name "Mathis", no matter how it is spelled. Since
                    all of Walkers children used the Mathews name, I feel that is the correct
                    spelling. Even Walkers will spells it Mathews.

                    Walker lived in Big Coon. The family in Little Coon spelled their
                    name "Matthews" but they claimed no kin to my family. My part of the family
                    started using the "Matthews" spelling because the Army spelled my Dad's name
                    that way when he went into service in the 40's. Prior to that he spelled his
                    name "Mathews"

                    Now there may have been a family in the county that had the Mathis family name
                    originally, but who's to know, since the name has been diluted so badly for the
                    last 175 years.

                    Richard Matthews(Mathews)(Mathis)

                  • prm@hiwaay.net
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                      Well hello cousin Bob,

                      2. John Thomas Matthews. Born 1821 in Matthews Cove, Jackson County, Alabama.
                      Died 10 Feb 1871 in Johnson County, Arkansas.

                      He married Elizabeth Sanders. They had the following children:

                      10 i. Mariah Matthews
                      11 ii. Nancy Matthews
                      12 iii.Walker Matthews
                      13 iv. Martha Lewanna Matthews
                      14 v. Mary Matthews
                      15 vi. Emmaline Matthews
                      16 vii. Deborah Jane Matthews
                      17 viii. John Robert Matthews
                      18 ix. Ellender Matthews
                      19 x. Amanda Elizabeth Matthews

                      My GGgrandaddy, James, was a younger brother to John Thomas. John Thomas was
                      Walker's oldest son and settled over near the Walls of Jerico on Hurricane
                      Creek in the head of Paint rock Valley didn't he? Seems I remember he and his
                      family ended up in Arkansas and that his wife moved back to Jackson County
                      after his death.

                      Richard

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                        My grandfather James Albert Mathews, called Mathis sometime after 1900, I am not sure when it was changed. He was a Freewill Baptist preacher for many years in Stigler, OK. His children lived in Muskogee, OK, St. Louis, Mo. Kansas City, Mo.Texarkana, Wash. state, and my Father moved to Calif. in 1936, as did one sister. I was born in Spiro, OK. But was a baby when we moved to Calif. LorraineMathis Cooper

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                          mary mathewa married james m robertson in jan of 1866 and stayed in jackson co she died about 1894 in jackson co. james died 3 years later you have a lot of family here in okla and some in texas i met some this summer at robertson and patterson reunion we had in okmulgee oklahoma . same family i found john thomas in 1840,1850,1860 census i can send them to you if you like.

                          prm@... wrote:
[...]

                          Quoting Robert Patterson :

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 7, 2004
                            I have been told that the names all came from Matheny France, Matheny, Mathis, Mathews and Matthews. I don't know this to be fact though.
                            I would like to share what I know about the Mathis name in Jackson County. The
                            earliest record I have is a land grant to Walker Mathis for his land in
                            Matthews Cove Big Coon Alabama. The deed clearly list his last name as Mathis.
                            His own children and late on even Walker used the family name Mathews. In
                            those early days, many of our ancestors could not read, nor write and when they
                            had legal work done the clerk wrote down what the person said, sometimes
                            incorrectly. I'm sure Walker said "Mathis" was his last name for that is the
                            way all oldtimers pronounced both Mathews and Matthews in this area. Even today
                            many local people call the name "Mathis", no matter how it is spelled. Since
                            all of Walkers children used the Mathews name, I feel that is the correct
                            spelling. Even Walkers will spells it Mathews.

                            Walker lived in Big Coon. The family in Little Coon spelled their
                            name "Matthews" but they claimed no kin to my family. My part of the family
                            started using the "Matthews" spelling because the Army spelled my Dad's name
                            that way when he went into service in the 40's. Prior to that he spelled his
                            name "Mathews"

                            Now there may have been a family in the county that had the Mathis family name
                            originally, but who's to know, since the name has been diluted so badly for the
                            last 175 years.

                            Richard Matthews(Mathews)(Mathis)

                            Quoting Robert Patterson <roberjp@...>:

                            > try john thomas mathis or mathews he is my gggrandfather he shows up on
                            > census in 1840,1850,1860, as mathis then his kids show up as mathews
                            > lather

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            Get unlimited calls to

                            U.S./Canada

                          • prm@hiwaay.net
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 8, 2004
                              Robert,

                              I have had contact with some of our Oklahoma relatives, but would like to meet
                              many more.

                              I am a sixth generation Jackson County Matthews and over the past few years I
                              have traced down all my Mathews Grandfathers.

                              Here is a list of them:

                              James William Mathews my Grandfather, buried in Mt Carmel Cemetery Bridgeport
                              William Mathews also buried at Mt Carmel
                              James Mathews buried at Bolivar cemetery Stevenson
                              Walker Mathews buried in the Matthews Cemetery in Matthews Cove

                              My Dad Charles Benjamin Matthews is still living at 89 years of age. Carrying
                              on the family names, my oldest son is James Paul Matthews.

                              Thanks for your offer of the cencusc but I believe I have those already.

                              Richard

                              Quoting Robert Patterson <roberjp@...>:

                              > mary mathewa married james m robertson in jan of 1866 and stayed in
                              > jackson co she died about 1894 in jackson co. james died 3 years later
                              > you have a lot of family here in okla and some in texas i met some this
                              > summer at robertson and patterson reunion we had in okmulgee oklahoma .
                              > same family i found john thomas in 1840,1850,1860 census i can send them
                              > to you if you like.

                            • Robert Patterson
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 8, 2004
                                a picture of james m robertson and wife mary mathews

                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 8, 2004
                                  Robert, could I possibly get a copy of the 1840,50, and 60 census from you?

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 8, 2004
                                    What was that Robert? I only got part of your message.

                                    Richard

                                    a picture of james m robertson and wife mary mathews