Surnames I'm researching in Jackson County, AL.

  • Karen Groce
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 6, 2004
      Surnames I'm researching in Jackson County (and also Marshall County):
      Berry - family of William Berry, b. 1795 in SC, whose wife was Nancy
      Birdwell - family of Abraham Birdwell
      Bullock - family of John Laddie Bullock of Robeson Co. NC
      Fletcher - family of Wm.>James>James Benjamin Fletcher, who md. Elizabeth Kennamer
      Hall - family of Hosea Farmer Hall, s/o Thomas and Nancy (Wood) Hall
      Isbell - family of John W. Isbell who md. Sarah Roden
      Kennamer - family of David Kennamer, who md. Amy Killingsworth
      Mansfield - family of Elizabeth Mansfield who md. Samuel McGehee
      Maxwell - family of David, whose daughter Sarah E. md. Azariah McGehee
      McGehee - family of William McGehee who md. Direna Shelton
      Pace - family of William Pace who md. Elizabeth Wininger
      Roden - family of Levi Roden
      Selvage - family of William Selvage who md. Sarah Jane Birdwell
      Shelton - family of Direna (descendant of Ralph Shelton of Pittsylvania Co. VA)
      Wininger - family of David Wininger
      Wright - family of James Bradford Wright

      I'd love to discuss any of these families with anyone who has an interest in them.

      Karen Groce
      wgroce@...

    • vrgfdonna@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 6, 2004
        Karen,

        You reminded me that I left off one of my families, my BERRYS. I have a
        William BERRY, born ca. 1784 S.C., will probated 1856 in Jackson Co., Al.
        married to Chastity, born 1789 N.C.

        I've been told that his father was Sanford BERRY, born ca. 1762 Albermarle
        Co., Va., will dated Aug., 1837 Coffee Co., Tn. He was married to Elizabeth.

        Are our BERRY families connected?
        Velma

      • dougonie
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 6, 2004
          hello,
          do you know john isbell family? I think my grandma has a brother named john.
          my grandma's name was onie isbell. if that rings a bell I sure love to hear
          from you.
          onie
          e-mail address is
          dougonie@cybertrails.
          > Surnames I'm researching in Jackson County (and also Marshall County):
          > Berry - family of William Berry, b. 1795 in SC, whose wife was Nancy
          > Birdwell - family of Abraham Birdwell
          > Bullock - family of John Laddie Bullock of Robeson Co. NC
          > Fletcher - family of Wm.>James>James Benjamin Fletcher, who md. Elizabeth
          Kennamer
          > Hall - family of Hosea Farmer Hall, s/o Thomas and Nancy (Wood) Hall
          > Isbell - family of John W. Isbell who md. Sarah Roden
          > Kennamer - family of David Kennamer, who md. Amy Killingsworth
          > Mansfield - family of Elizabeth Mansfield who md. Samuel McGehee
          > Maxwell - family of David, whose daughter Sarah E. md. Azariah McGehee
          > McGehee - family of William McGehee who md. Direna Shelton
          > Pace - family of William Pace who md. Elizabeth Wininger
          > Roden - family of Levi Roden
          > Selvage - family of William Selvage who md. Sarah Jane Birdwell
          > Shelton - family of Direna (descendant of Ralph Shelton of Pittsylvania
          Co. VA)
          > Wininger - family of David Wininger
          > Wright - family of James Bradford Wright
          >
          > I'd love to discuss any of these families with anyone who has an interest
          in them.

          > Karen Groce
          > wgroce@...

        • Sharon Henson
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 6, 2004
            I am researching the following that lived in Jackson County, Ala. They are: Wilson, Eliga born February, 1835 in South Carolina UNK parents married Sarah E. Stogsdill born 1846 {I think} in 1869. Had the following children---Benjamin F. {1870}; Verginia E. better known as Lizzie {which is on her tombstone in Pisgah Cemetary} 1873; Thomas A. born 1974; James C. born 1876; and Susan Angeline {better know as Angie or Ange}, my Grandmother, March 29, 1879 give or take a year. Susan Angeline married John Nelson Gay after his first wife died on July 8, 1907 and moved to San Saba County, Texas; where she lived until she died in 1976.
            John Nelson Gay was the son of Samuel Gay and Elizabeth Milligan and was born in Jackson County, Ala. in February of 1836 Died in 1914 in San Saba County, Texas. {John Nelson Gay's first wife was Mary Ann Webster. They married in 1860, I think. They had 3 children a boy in 1865 in Texas, I think, and twin girls, unk. when but they died about 12 years as far as I know. Mary Ann better known as Mollie died in 1906 in San Saba County, Texas.
            From what I am told both Mollie and Angie answered ads put in newspapers by John Nelson Gay.
            John Nelson Gay was born in Old Bellefont Jackson, Ala. and Angie was born in Pisgah, Jackson, Ala.
            If anyone has any information on these people or has them in you line of ancestors, I would be interested in talking to you.
            You can email me at this address or at sharon.henson@... rhodasharon1944@...
            Thanking You in Advance,
            Rhoda Sharon Langham Henson

            Karen Groce <wgroce@...> wrote:
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Doris Wheeler
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 6, 2004
              Sharon,
              David Wininger and wife Martha are two of my ancestors. Is this the same David Wininger?
              Doris Wheeler
              I am researching the following that lived in Jackson County, Ala. They are:
              Wininger - family of David Wininger

              I'd love to discuss any of these families with anyone who has an interest in them.

              Karen Groce
              wgroce@...

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Karen Groce
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 7, 2004
                Onie, I don't have information about more recent ISBELLs, like your grandma, but if you could give me the names of her parents, perhaps I can find them in my database. There are lots of John ISBELLs - it's a very common name in the family.

                Karen
                wgroce@...

                > Surnames I'm researching in Jackson County (and also Marshall County):
                > Berry - family of William Berry, b. 1795 in SC, whose wife was Nancy
                > Birdwell - family of Abraham Birdwell
                > Bullock - family of John Laddie Bullock of Robeson Co. NC
                > Fletcher - family of Wm.>James>James Benjamin Fletcher, who md. Elizabeth
                Kennamer
                > Hall - family of Hosea Farmer Hall, s/o Thomas and Nancy (Wood) Hall
                > Isbell - family of John W. Isbell who md. Sarah Roden
                > Kennamer - family of David Kennamer, who md. Amy Killingsworth
                > Mansfield - family of Elizabeth Mansfield who md. Samuel McGehee
                > Maxwell - family of David, whose daughter Sarah E. md. Azariah McGehee
                > McGehee - family of William McGehee who md. Direna Shelton
                > Pace - family of William Pace who md. Elizabeth Wininger
                > Roden - family of Levi Roden
                > Selvage - family of William Selvage who md. Sarah Jane Birdwell
                > Shelton - family of Direna (descendant of Ralph Shelton of Pittsylvania
                Co. VA)
                > Wininger - family of David Wininger
                > Wright - family of James Bradford Wright
                >
                > I'd love to discuss any of these families with anyone who has an interest
                in them.

                > Karen Groce
                > wgroce@...

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Karen Groce
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 7, 2004
                  Yes, this is the same family. I descend from David and Martha's daughter, Elizabeth, who md. William PACE. Are you a descendant of her brother, Solomon, who lived in Jackson County also? Do you have other siblings' names?

                  Karen
                  wgroce@...

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 7, 2004
                    Karen,
                    I also descend from William Pace, Jr. and Elizabeth Wininger. My lineage is through their daughter Eliza who married Jonathan Walton Potter. I belong to Daughters of the American Revolution, and my DAR Patriot is William Pace, Sr I am also descended from William Pace, Sr. through his daughter Susannah who married Tarlton Evans.
                    Doris

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 8, 2004
                      hello,
                      just as soon as find my papers I will send you more info.I have just moved
                      and have not found every yet.
                      onie
                      > Onie, I don't have information about more recent ISBELLs, like your
                      grandma, but if you could give me the names of her parents, perhaps I can
                      find them in my database. There are lots of John ISBELLs - it's a very
                      common name in the family.

                      > Karen
                      > wgroce@...

                      County, AL.

                      > hello,
                      > do you know john isbell family? I think my grandma has a brother named
                      john.
                      > my grandma's name was onie isbell. if that rings a bell I sure love to
                      hear
                      > from you.
                      > onie
                      > e-mail address is
                      > dougonie@cybertrails.
                      AL.

                      > > Surnames I'm researching in Jackson County (and also Marshall County):
                      > > Berry - family of William Berry, b. 1795 in SC, whose wife was Nancy
                      > > Birdwell - family of Abraham Birdwell
                      > > Bullock - family of John Laddie Bullock of Robeson Co. NC
                      > > Fletcher - family of Wm.>James>James Benjamin Fletcher, who md.
                      Elizabeth
                      > Kennamer
                      > > Hall - family of Hosea Farmer Hall, s/o Thomas and Nancy (Wood) Hall
                      > > Isbell - family of John W. Isbell who md. Sarah Roden
                      > > Kennamer - family of David Kennamer, who md. Amy Killingsworth
                      > > Mansfield - family of Elizabeth Mansfield who md. Samuel McGehee
                      > > Maxwell - family of David, whose daughter Sarah E. md. Azariah McGehee
                      > > McGehee - family of William McGehee who md. Direna Shelton
                      > > Pace - family of William Pace who md. Elizabeth Wininger
                      > > Roden - family of Levi Roden
                      > > Selvage - family of William Selvage who md. Sarah Jane Birdwell
                      > > Shelton - family of Direna (descendant of Ralph Shelton of
                      Pittsylvania
                      > Co. VA)
                      > > Wininger - family of David Wininger
                      > > Wright - family of James Bradford Wright
                      > >
                      > > I'd love to discuss any of these families with anyone who has an
                      interest
                      > in them.
                      > >
                      > > Karen Groce
                      > > wgroce@...