Re: [jacksongenealogy] Sheltons

  • Joy Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 27, 2004
      I know there are many Sheltons in Jackson Co AL who hailed from Lincoln Co TN. In all the research done by the Shelton families, does anyone have reference to a Monroe Shelton marr to Vinie Stewart in LCT? Or Robert Taylor Shelton? Thanks. Joy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 27, 2004
        Could this be yours?

        and Allied Families
        Entries: 7565 Updated: 2004-05-06 19:19:04 UTC (Thu) Contact: Gary Wilson Tucker Home Page: TUCKERS of Southside Virginia Migrating to Lincoln County, TN

        A TUCKER FAMILY TREE

        Index | Descendancy | Register | Pedigree | Ahnentafel | Download GEDCOM | Add Post-em

        ID: I3627
        Name: Jesse J. Monroe SHELTON
        Sex: M
        Birth: 11 FEB 1842 in Lincoln Co., TN
        Death: 20 NOV 1897

        Father: Jesse SHELTON b: ABT. 1804 in Kentucky
        Mother: Elizabeth (Betsey) SHAW b: ABT. 1812 in South Carolina

        Marriage 1 Sarah J. HILL
        Married: 20 DEC 1871 in Lincoln Co., TN
        Children
        Jesse F. SHELTON b: 31 MAY 1873
        John SHELTON b: 1875

        Marriage 2 L. A. (Vinie) WILLBANKS
        Married: 20 JUN 1878 in Lincoln Co., TN
        Children
        Robert Taylor SHELTON b: DEC 1886
        Samuel SHELTON b: JUN 1897
        Clarence SHELTON b: UNKNOWN

      • rgpipes@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 27, 2004
          Jackson, Nash, Smith, Fox, Prewitt, Goodwin Family Tree
          Entries: 32215 Updated: Sat Jul 12 08:45:25 2003 Contact: Lisa Jackson-Jimenez

          Know that this work is not complete and I am sure there are many things I have missed. Feel free to contact me for more info and if you have some I don't, email me.

          Index | Descendancy | Register | Pedigree | Ahnentafel | Download GEDCOM | Add Post-em

          ID: I36426
          Name: Jesse J. Monroe Shelton 1
          Sex: M
          Birth: 11 FEB 1842 in Lincoln Co., TN 1
          Death: 20 NOV 1897 1

          Father: Jesse Shelton b: ABT. 1804 in Kentucky
          Mother: Elizabeth (Betsey) Shaw b: ABT. 1812 in South Carolina

          Marriage 1 Sarah J. Hill
          Married: 20 DEC 1871 in Lincoln Co., TN 1
          Children
          Jesse F. Shelton b: 31 MAY 1873
          John Shelton b: 1875

          Marriage 2 L. A. (Vinie) Willbanks
          Married: 20 JUN 1878 in Lincoln Co., TN 1
          Children
          Robert Taylor Shelton b: DEC 1886
          Samuel Shelton b: JUN 1897
          Clarence Shelton b: UNKNOWN

          Sources:
          Title: gwtucker.ged
          Author: Gary Wilson Tucker, <tentex@...>
          Repository:
          Call Number:
          Media: Other
          Text: Date of Import: Jun 27, 2002

        • rgpipes@bellsouth.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 27, 2004
            Personal Information What to do next?

            Name: J. M. SHELTON
            Spouse: L. A. WILBANKS
            Marriage Date: 20 Jun 1878
            County: Lincoln
            State: TN

            View printer-friendly

          • altafae@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 27, 2004
              Looking at the 1880 Census - Ancestry page 10 of Lincoln Co. District 120
              you find him on the bottom of the page:

              95 - 75 J.M. Shelton W M 30 Farmer b TN Father: TN Mother: AL
              Francis C W F 26 Wife Keeping House b TN Father: TN Mother: SC
              P.J. W M 1 Son b TN Father: TN Mother: TN

              His neighbors:

              R.M. Seaton
              F.M. Stevensons

              In the 1870 Census- Ancestry page 6 of Lincoln Co. District 25 you find him
              on the bottom of the page you find another J.M. Shelton, but age 25, the 15
              year old daughter is born in AL - so could be a connection, then there is a
              W.L. Shelton b TN age 37 with a young J.M. of only 16, could he have lied about
              his age in 1880?

              Other Counties:

              J.M. Shelton - District 3 age 26 b 1843 W M
              Wm J. Shelton - District 2, Humphreys Co., TN Age 21 b 1848 - CLOSER TO HIS
              AGE
              F.J. Shelton - District 1, Shelby Co., TN Age 19 b 1850 - right age for
              yours for the 1880 census, but initials are off.

              Alabama:

              Database: 1870 United States Federal Census
              July 27, 2004
              9:06 PM
              ____________________________________
              Name Home in 1870
              (City, County, State) Age in
              1870 Estimated
              Birth Year Birthplace Race Gender Save This? _Thomas J Shelton_
              (http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gsfn=J&gsln=Shelton&sx=&f5=AL&f4=&f7=&f14=20&
              f21=&prox=1&db=1870usfedcen&ti=0&ti.si=0&gss=angs&submit.x=15&submit.y=16&indi
              v=1&fh=0) District 11 Subdivision 1, Jackson, AL 20 1849 Alabama White
              Male
              (http://www.ancestry.com/myancestry?db=1870usfedcen&pid=12882736&fn=Thomas+J&ln=Shelton&atid=4&url=http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gsfn=J&gsl
              n=Shelton&sx=&f5=AL&f4=&f7=&f14=20&f21=&prox=1&db=1870usfedcen&ti=0&ti.si=0&gs
              s=angs&submit.x=15&submit.y=16) _Thomas J Shelton_
              (http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gsfn=J&gsln=Shelton&sx=&f5=AL&f4=&f7=&f14=20&f21=&prox=1&db
              =1870usfedcen&ti=0&ti.si=0&gss=angs&submit.x=15&submit.y=16&indiv=1&fh=1)
              Subdivision 3, Jackson, AL 20 1849 Alabama White Male
              (http://www.ancestry.com/myancestry?db=1870usfedcen&pid=13029673&fn=Thomas+J&ln=Shelton&atid=4&url=h
              ttp://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gsfn=J&gsln=Shelton&sx=&f5=AL&f4=&f7
              =&f14=20&f21=&prox=1&db=1870usfedcen&ti=0&ti.si=0&gss=angs&submit.x=15&submit.
              y=16) _Thomas J Shelton_
              (http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gsfn=J&gsln=Shelton&sx=&f5=AL&f4=&f7=&f14=20&f21=&prox=1&db=1870usfedcen&ti=0&ti.si=0
              &gss=angs&submit.x=15&submit.y=16&indiv=1&fh=2) Subdivision 3, Jackson, AL
              20 1849 Alabama White Male
              (http://www.ancestry.com/myancestry?db=1870usfedcen&pid=13290446&fn=Thomas+J&ln=Shelton&atid=4&url=http://search.ancestry.com/
              cgi-bin/sse.dll?gsfn=J&gsln=Shelton&sx=&f5=AL&f4=&f7=&f14=20&f21=&prox=1&db=18
              70usfedcen&ti=0&ti.si=0&gss=angs&submit.x=15&submit.y=16)
              Source Information:
              Ancestry.com. 1870 United States Federal Census. [database on-line] Provo,
              UT: MyFamily.com, Inc., 2003-. Indexed by Ancestry.com from microfilmed
              schedules of the 1870 U.S. Federal Decennial Census.1870 United States Federal
              Census. [database online] Provo, UT: MyFamily.com, Inc., 2003. Original data:
              Data imaged from National Archives and Records Administration. 1870 Federal
              Population Census. M593, 1,761 rolls; part of Minnesota T132, 13 rolls.
              Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration.

            • altafae@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 27, 2004
                Boy never copy a HTML - sorry list.

                This is another place I have found for Messer history:

                _http://www.rootsweb.com/~nccumber/meser.htm_
                (http://www.rootsweb.com/~nccumber/meser.htm)

              • joy0420@charter.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 29, 2004
                  Hi Regina,
                  Certainly looks like mine!! I forwarded to my sister, so we can look it over.
                  Are you still going to the Lincoln Co workshops for the heritage book? After my 1st couple trips my Dad had a stroke. Then the day he was coming home from Siskin Rehab my grandson was born premature (only 24 weeks) and he's still in Huntsville Hosp. I hate I'm missing out, but what do you do? JOY