Weekly Chat

  • Dr. Charles D. Smith, Jr.
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2000
      I haven't done this chat thing before, but I would like to some time. I
      noticed over the weekend you were discussing the Houk/Hawks and their
      in-laws (Layman) came up. My wife is the former Carolyn Ann Lewis
      (Smith). and her great great grandmother was Susannah Layman. Here is
      what I have on her family:

      Descendants of Susannah Layman
      Generation No. 1
      1. SUSANNAH3 LAYMAN (DANIEL M.2, JOSEPH1) was born 1806 in Newport,
      Seiver Co., E.TN, and died 1863 in Woodville, Jackson, AL. She married
      SAMUEL LEWIS.
      Children of SUSANNAH LAYMAN and SAMUEL LEWIS are:
      2. i. ANDERSON VINCENT4 LEWIS, b. May 11, 1851, East TN; d. February
      27, 1890, Woodville, Jackson, AL.
      ii. ELIZA JANE LEWIS.
      iii. MARTHA ANN LEWIS, m. ALFRED OWENSBY.
      iv. JOHN CANADA LEWIS, d. June 1888, Woodville, Jackson, AL.
      v. DANIEL MARION LEWIS.
      vi. MELVINA ELIZABETH LEWIS.
      vii. GRIFFIE LAYMAN LEWIS.
      viii. WILLIAM COMMADORE.
      ix. JAMES MARTIN LEWIS, b. 1843; d. 1933; m. SARAH C. STEPHENS (SALLY
      P. STEPHENS), August 18, 1872, Jackson Co, AL.
      x. SAMUEL JONES LEWIS, b. November 22, 1851; m. ELIZABETH WILLIAMS,
      November 22, 1851.
      xi. SUSAN MELVINA LEWIS, m. JOHN N. SWEARINGEN, August 13, 1876.

      Generation No. 2
      2. ANDERSON VINCENT4 LEWIS (SUSANNAH3 LAYMAN, DANIEL M.2, JOSEPH1) was
      born May 11, 1851 in East TN, and died February 27, 1890 in Woodville,
      Jackson, AL. He married REBECCA CALDONIA KENNAMER January 17, 1871 in
      Jackson Co, AL, daughter of ABRAM KENNAMER and ELIZABETH HODGES.
      Children of ANDERSON LEWIS and REBECCA KENNAMER are:
      3. i. CHARLES OSCAR5 LEWIS, b. December 25, 1874, Woodville, Jackson,
      AL; d. February 15, 1947, Woodville, Jackson, AL.
      ii. SUSAN ELIZABETH LEWIS, b. October 16, 1872, Woodville, Jackson,
      AL; d. November 03, 1953, Scottsboro, Jackson, AL; m. DAVID W. WINKLES,
      April 14, 1907.
      4. iii. ARTHUR GREENLEE LEWIS, b. January 27, 1877, Woodville,
      Jackson, AL; d. October 11, 1955, Maysville, Madison, AL.
      iv. MANASSEY LEWIS, b. July 27, 1878; d. March 27, 1884.
      v. INFANT DAUGHTER LEWIS, b. 1884.
      vi. MARY FRANCES LEWIS, b. July 23, 1885, Woodville, Jackson, AL; m.
      WILL B. SUMNER.
      vii. MARGARET JESSIE LEWIS, b. July 23, 1885, Woodville, Jackson, AL;
      m. JAMES ATLAS RICE, April 01, 1911.

      Generation No. 3
      3. CHARLES OSCAR5 LEWIS (ANDERSON VINCENT4, SUSANNAH3 LAYMAN, DANIEL
      M.2, JOSEPH1) was born December 25, 1874 in Woodville, Jackson, AL, and
      died February 15, 1947 in Woodville, Jackson, AL. He married (1) ELLA
      D. (C.?) THOMASON July 08, 1894 in Woodville, Jackson, AL, daughter of
      H. THOMASON and MARY HARPER. He married (2) SALLIE R. POWERS July 10,
      1910.
      Children of CHARLES LEWIS and ELLA THOMASON are:
      i. ALVA VINCENT6 LEWIS, b. October 20, 1895; d. April 10, 1958; m.
      MINNIE STEWART, April 26, 1924.
      5. ii. OSCAR GREENLEAF LEWIS, b. November 23, 1897, Aspel, Jackson,
      AL; d. November 25, 1962, Scottsboro, Jackson, AL.
      iii. EVA PEARL LEWIS, b. March 04, 1899; d. January 09, 1990.
      iv. IRA ORION LEWIS, b. March 20, 1901; d. December 05, 1972; m. (1)
      MYRTLE ?; m. (2) MARGIE ELKINS; m. (3) ? HOOPER.
      6. v. MYRTLE BEATRICE LEWIS, b. March 01, 1903.
      vi. WALTER GRANVILLE LEWIS, b. March 15, 1906; d. August 13, 1974,
      Scottsboro, Jackson, AL; m. ZOOMA GRACE WOOSLEY, December 28, 1928.
      4. ARTHUR GREENLEE5 LEWIS (ANDERSON VINCENT4, SUSANNAH3 LAYMAN,
      DANIEL M.2, JOSEPH1) was born January 27, 1877 in Woodville, Jackson,
      AL, and died October 11, 1955 in Maysville, Madison, AL. He married (1)
      JESSE MAE GAYLE. He married (2) JULIA REBECCA KENNAMER February 09,
      1902.
      Children of ARTHUR LEWIS and JESSE GAYLE are:
      i. ?6 LEWIS, m. CECIL BROCK.
      ii. HOBART L. LEWIS.
      iii. TALLY LEWIS.
      iv. HOWARD LEWIS.

      Generation No. 4
      5. OSCAR GREENLEAF6 LEWIS (CHARLES OSCAR5, ANDERSON VINCENT4,
      SUSANNAH3 LAYMAN, DANIEL M.2, JOSEPH1) was born November 23, 1897 in
      Aspel, Jackson, AL, and died November 25, 1962 in Scottsboro, Jackson,
      AL. He married GEORGIANNE GUFFEY January 28, 1928, daughter of ELIJAH
      GUFFEY and MARY ANDERSON.
      Children of OSCAR LEWIS and GEORGIANNE GUFFEY are:
      i. OSCAR CHARLES7 LEWIS, b. July 16, 1929, Limrock, Jackson, AL; m.
      REBA KATE JAMES, December 22, 1951, Fulton, MS.
      ii. MARY EVELYN LEWIS, b. May 03, 1932; m. HOMER EVANS, October 07,
      1952, Trenton, , GA.
      iii. CAROLYN ANN LEWIS, b. June 23, 1935, Aspel, Jackson, AL; m.
      CHARLES DUGAN SMITH , JR., June 02, 1955, First Baptist Church,
      Scottsboro, AL.
      iv. JOYCE SUE LEWIS, b. March 28, 1937, Aspel, Jackson, AL; m. RALPH
      EDWARD SMITH, April 08, 1957, York, York , SC.
      v. PATRICIA PEARL LEWIS, b. November 17, 1939, Aspel, Jackson, AL; m.
      DAVID CASEY WOODS, August 03, 1954, Trenton, Dade , GA.
      6. MYRTLE BEATRICE6 LEWIS (CHARLES OSCAR5, ANDERSON VINCENT4,
      SUSANNAH3 LAYMAN, DANIEL M.2, JOSEPH1) was born March 01, 1903. She
      married PAUL BOGGUS.
      Children of MYRTLE LEWIS and PAUL BOGGUS are:
      i. GERALDINE JERRY7 BOGGUS.
      ii. PAULINE POLLY FRANCES BOGGUS, m. DAVID MCCOLLUM.
      iii. JAMES LEWIS HAP BOGGUS, m. ANNIE RUTH SELBY.

      You will notice that a few dates are missing and there is nothing of the
      earlier family except what you did with Susannah"s parents. I'd
      particularly like to know about Samuel Lewis. I have found many with
      that name but haven't been able to single him out! Thanks.

      C. D. Smith