Butler, Harris, Houk, Layman, Lewis, Wood
I, too, have often wondered whether or not the Houk and Hawk families of
Jackson County were related. I haven't found a connection yet, if there is
one. The parents of Simeon Perry Houk were Michael Preston Houk, Jr. and
Lydia Layman, who were originally from Sevier County, TN before migrating to
Jackson County, AL.
Lydia Layman was the oldest of eight children of Daniel Layman, Sr. and Sarah
Jones. Daniel and Sarah's children were:
1. Lydia Layman married Michael Preston Houk, Jr.
2. Hester Layman (no further info)
3. Margaret "Peggy" Layman m. Samuel R. Butler, Sr.
4. Ann Layman m. Richard Wood, Sr. (Woodville named for him)
5. Susannah Layman m. Samuel Lewis
6. Emma Layman m. a Harris (they went to AR)
7. Daniel Layman, Jr. m. Anna (unknown) (they stayed in TN)
8. Asa M. Layman m. Jane Ferguson. (they stayed in TN)
Four of these children, Lydia, Margaret, Ann and Susan would migrate to
Jackson County and raise large families in and around the Woodville area.