Re: TVA/Bellefonte

  • Taterib@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 18, 2004
      Does anyone know what year TVA aquired the land at Bellefonte to build the
      nuclear plant?

      Trying to find old family land records. I feel that my GG Grandmother had
      sold the land long before TVA came into the picture. She died between 1900-1910.
      I don't think any other family member owned the land at the time TVA bought
      the land?

      Just curious to know what year TVA first bought up this land to build on.

      Any help appreciated.

      Judy

    • Mark Klan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 18, 2004
        Judy wrote:
        > Does anyone know what year TVA aquired the land at Bellefonte to build the
        > nuclear plant?

        I don't know, but I know people who probably know, and if they can pull
        this info without too much effort I'll pass it on. I work in the Corporate
        Finance & Risk Management group at TVA (Knoxville).

        Mark
        http://www.markklan.com (Acoustic Music Webtools)
        msk@...
        msk@...
      • Taterib@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 19, 2004
          I'd appreciate this info if you can get it.

          Thanks, Judy

        • Mark Klan
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 23, 2004
            Judy wrote:
            > > Does anyone know what year TVA aquired the land at Bellefonte to build the
            > > nuclear plant?

            I originally responded:
            > I don't know, but I know people who probably know, and if they can pull this
            > info without too much effort I'll pass it on. I work in the Corporate
            > Finance & Risk Management group at TVA (Knoxville).

            Through my connections, I wasn't able to get the info about the year that
            TVA acquired the land at Bellefonte. It will require some research. I
            suggest you submit your request to the TVA Corporate Libary in Knoxville --
            I believe they can help you. The contact info from the website
            (http://www.tva.gov/abouttva/contact.htm) is:

            TVA Corporate Library
            400 W. Summit Hill Drive, ET PC
            Knoxville, TN 37902
            865-632-3464
            Fax: 865-632-4475 or -8029

            I *did* receive some interesting info, though. It follows:
            > With regard to cemeteries, TVA relocated one cemetery, the Shipp Cemetery, for
            > the Bellefonte project. Four graves were relocated from the Shipp Cemetery to
            > the Cedarhill Cemetery. The four graves removed were Alberta Shipp, Thomas H.
            > Shipp, Nancie Ann Sterne, and David Sterne.

            Hope this is helpful. I'm sorry I couldn't immediately find the answer to
            the basic question. However, I'm confident if you submit a request to the
            TVA Corporate Library that they'll be able to help you. If not, let me
            know and I'll see what I can do.

            Good luck.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 24, 2004
              The answer to the original question was sent to me today. In 1937, TVA
              acquired general reservoir property in the Bellefonte area. Then from 1971-
              1974 additional property was acquired in connection with the planned
              nuclear facility.

              Mark