Re: Finding Locations {was Re: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Steel}

  • Joy Smith
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 15, 2004
      One of them anyway! lol. As you know, there are dozens. My hubby's Smiths are around the Stevenson/Bridgeport area, descended locally from David James and Lucy Peyton Grantland Smith. They came to the Steamplant area early 1900's from prob. Madison Co, AL. DJ's father was David D, buried State Line Cem in Madison Co. DD's father was the Rev. Joseph Smith, Methodist circuit rider, of Lynchburg/Tullahoma.
      Yours?
      Message 2 of 18 , May 4, 2004
        I'm looking forward to the trip. Would you think I should start in
        Bridgeport? Is there a library there?
        Nancy

      • joy0420@charter.net
        Message 3 of 18 , May 5, 2004
          The library is very small, but the historic Bridgeport Depot has been reconfigured as a museum/genealogy location. The staff there, at least Mrs. Hambrick, has worked hard getting local info in order to make genealogy visits there easier.
          Stevenson Library also has a very small genealogy section. Your best bet, as far as libraries go, is the one in Scottsboro. The courthouse and square are also located there. The Scottsboro library has a fair section, with some microfilm, etc. Also in Scottsboro, off the square, is the Heritage Center. It's an old home/museum and they do have some info.
          Enjoy your trip!

        • ronney46@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 18 , May 5, 2004