Re: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Steel

  • Joy Smith
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 12, 2004
      Thanks to everyone who pointed me toward Trenton, Al.
      Next question - at the Scottsboro Library are there microfilmed newspapers and how far back?
      A relative is researching a murder early 1900's that occured I think in Trenton. Joy
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 12, 2004
        Thanks, Mark. I should have thought of that! It's just so much fun to get the whole site involved and talking! hahah.

        Joy
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 15, 2004
          One of them anyway! lol. As you know, there are dozens. My hubby's Smiths are around the Stevenson/Bridgeport area, descended locally from David James and Lucy Peyton Grantland Smith. They came to the Steamplant area early 1900's from prob. Madison Co, AL. DJ's father was David D, buried State Line Cem in Madison Co. DD's father was the Rev. Joseph Smith, Methodist circuit rider, of Lynchburg/Tullahoma.
          Yours?
          Joy,are you researching the Smith family in Jackson County,AL? Ronakins

        • Nbmachu@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , May 4 7:44 PM
            I'm looking forward to the trip. Would you think I should start in
            Bridgeport? Is there a library there?
            Nancy

          • joy0420@charter.net
            Message 5 of 18 , May 5 11:30 AM
              The library is very small, but the historic Bridgeport Depot has been reconfigured as a museum/genealogy location. The staff there, at least Mrs. Hambrick, has worked hard getting local info in order to make genealogy visits there easier.
              Stevenson Library also has a very small genealogy section. Your best bet, as far as libraries go, is the one in Scottsboro. The courthouse and square are also located there. The Scottsboro library has a fair section, with some microfilm, etc. Also in Scottsboro, off the square, is the Heritage Center. It's an old home/museum and they do have some info.
              Enjoy your trip!

            • ronney46@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 18 , May 5 9:38 PM