Re: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Steel

  • Joy Smith
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 12, 2004
      Thanks to everyone who pointed me toward Trenton, Al.
      Next question - at the Scottsboro Library are there microfilmed newspapers and how far back?
      A relative is researching a murder early 1900's that occured I think in Trenton. Joy
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 12, 2004
        Thanks, Mark. I should have thought of that! It's just so much fun to get the whole site involved and talking! hahah.

        Joy
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 15, 2004
          One of them anyway! lol. As you know, there are dozens. My hubby's Smiths are around the Stevenson/Bridgeport area, descended locally from David James and Lucy Peyton Grantland Smith. They came to the Steamplant area early 1900's from prob. Madison Co, AL. DJ's father was David D, buried State Line Cem in Madison Co. DD's father was the Rev. Joseph Smith, Methodist circuit rider, of Lynchburg/Tullahoma.
          Yours?
          Joy,are you researching the Smith family in Jackson County,AL? Ronakins

        • Nbmachu@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , May 4, 2004
            Richard, thanks for the description of the Jackson County Alabama topography.
            That was the most helpful piece of information that I've found about the
            area. My grandfather, James Christopher Bryan was born in Bridgeport, Alabama in
            1863. I hope to visit there later this year and perhaps find some
            information about him and his family.
            Nancy Bryan Machu

          • joy0420@charter.net
            Message 5 of 18 , May 4, 2004
              Thank you, Jewel. Is Trenton Al near Keith's Springs or near Trenton GA on the other side?

              > From: "Jewel Casey" <jcasey@...>
              > Date: 2004/05/04 Tue AM 03:09:28 GMT
              > To: <jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com>
              > Subject: Re: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Steel

            • Mark Klan
              Message 6 of 18 , May 4, 2004

              • vrgfdonna@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , May 4, 2004
                  Nancy, you will really love it!
                  Velma

                • Nbmachu@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 4, 2004
                    I'm looking forward to the trip. Would you think I should start in
                    Bridgeport? Is there a library there?
                    Nancy

                  • joy0420@charter.net
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 5, 2004
                      The library is very small, but the historic Bridgeport Depot has been reconfigured as a museum/genealogy location. The staff there, at least Mrs. Hambrick, has worked hard getting local info in order to make genealogy visits there easier.
                      Stevenson Library also has a very small genealogy section. Your best bet, as far as libraries go, is the one in Scottsboro. The courthouse and square are also located there. The Scottsboro library has a fair section, with some microfilm, etc. Also in Scottsboro, off the square, is the Heritage Center. It's an old home/museum and they do have some info.
                      Enjoy your trip!

                    • ronney46@earthlink.net
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 5, 2004