Re: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Steel

  • Joy Smith
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 11, 2004
      I tried that earlier, and found that same thing. I can't figure out, tho, is Trenton Ga and Trenton AL basically the same town straddling the line??
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 12, 2004
        Thanks to everyone who pointed me toward Trenton, Al.
        Next question - at the Scottsboro Library are there microfilmed newspapers and how far back?
        A relative is researching a murder early 1900's that occured I think in Trenton. Joy
        Trenton, Alabama is in Paint Rock Valley, the NW corner of the county. Trenton,
        Ga is off the east end of Sand Mountain just across the Georgia line. They are
        at least 40-50 miles apart

        Richard

        Quoting Joy Smith <joy0420@...>:

        > I tried that earlier, and found that same thing. I can't figure out,
        > tho, is Trenton Ga and Trenton AL basically the same town straddling the
        > line??

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Joy Smith
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 12, 2004
          Thanks, Mark. I should have thought of that! It's just so much fun to get the whole site involved and talking! hahah.

          Joy
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 15, 2004
            One of them anyway! lol. As you know, there are dozens. My hubby's Smiths are around the Stevenson/Bridgeport area, descended locally from David James and Lucy Peyton Grantland Smith. They came to the Steamplant area early 1900's from prob. Madison Co, AL. DJ's father was David D, buried State Line Cem in Madison Co. DD's father was the Rev. Joseph Smith, Methodist circuit rider, of Lynchburg/Tullahoma.
            Yours?
            Joy,are you researching the Smith family in Jackson County,AL? Ronakins

            Thanks, Mark. I should have thought of that! It's just so much fun to get the whole site involved and talking! hahah.

            Joy
            > Trenton, Alabama is in Paint Rock Valley, the NW corner of the county.
            > Trenton, Ga is off the east end of Sand Mountain just across the Georgia
            > line. They are at least 40-50 miles apart

            And if folks want to see exactly where it is located, point your web
            browser to http://www.mapquest.com and type Trenton in the city box, and AL
            in the state box, and press the Search button. A map will come up with a
            star showing Trenton's exact location on state or county road 65 north of
            Paint Rock.

            Mapquest will find almost every little (and big) town in the country. It's
            easy. If the resulting map is puzzling you can zoom out or in to better
            understand what it is showing you.

            Mark
            http://www.markklan.com (Acoustic Music Webtools)
            msk@...
            msk@...

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Golden Moments
            Message 5 of 18 , May 3 7:56 AM
              go to the internet and type in trenton al and trenton ga.
              If the same location then the same place
              > I tried that earlier, and found that same thing. I can't figure out, tho,
              is Trenton Ga and Trenton AL basically the same town straddling the line??

              Service.

            • Brenda Lillard
              Message 6 of 18 , May 3 12:52 PM

                Message 7 of 18 , May 3 6:21 PM
                  If you go to rootsweb and go to the search engines, there is one where you
                  can put in any town in the country. It did show a Trenton, AL in Jackson
                  Co.

                  > The Steel family is still in the Trenton area and did work for the police
                  > department. That is Trenton Georgia .

                • Jewel Casey
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 3 8:09 PM
                    There is a Keith's Springs near the AL-TN state line, just out of Winchester, Franklin County, TN. on the road that goes from Winchester across Sand Mountain to Scottsboro. The Trenton you mentioned probably is Trenton, Jackson County, AL.
                    Jewel
                    If you go to rootsweb and go to the search engines, there is one where you
                    can put in any town in the country. It did show a Trenton, AL in Jackson
                    Co.

                    > The Steel family is still in the Trenton area and did work for the police
                    > department. That is Trenton Georgia .

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • prm@hiwaay.net
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 4 5:00 AM

                    • prm@hiwaay.net
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 4 5:33 AM
                        For those on the list distant from Jackson County, I thought a geographic
                        discription of our area might be helpful.

                        Most people know that our county is located in the NE corner of the state,
                        bordered on the East by Georgia and to the north by Tennessee. To our South is
                        Dekalb County, to our SW is Marshall County, and to our West, Madison County.

                        Major roads passing through our county are US 72 coming from the East and
                        Chattanooga, going to the West to Huntsville. Alabama 35 comes North from I-59
                        and Fort Payne, while Alabama 279 comes form the SW from Guntersville. Alabama
                        79 goes North across Cumberland mountain to Winchester, Tennessee.

                        Our county is divied in half by the waters of the Tennessee River that flows
                        from the NE corner to the SW corner of the county. All of the coves along the
                        river are filled with the backwaters from the TVA Guntersville Dam. To the
                        South of the river is Sand Mountain, a 1300' high plateau that covers the full
                        length of the SE side of the county. To the north of the river lie the coves
                        and valleys that lie along the creeks of the county. From the NE corner they
                        are Crow, Little Coon, Big Coon, and Paint Rock. The main mountain on the
                        North side of the river is Cumberland mountain which is inhabited along the
                        narrow flats of the mountain top for many miles along highway 79. To the SW is
                        Gunters mountain which is mostly in Marshall County. There are many smaller
                        ridges and coves throughout the county.

                        Most of Jackson County is still wooded, pine, cedar, and hardwoods, due to so
                        many mountain and ridge sides, but in the coves and on flat mountain tops are
                        large ares of fertile farm land. Our wooded areas are rich with wildlife with
                        white tail deer, wild turkeys, rabbit, squirrel, possum and racoon in high
                        numbers. Coyotes have moved into the area over the passed few years and a few
                        bobcat can still be found. Our lake areas are populated by Canada geese and
                        mallards, many of which stay year round. The great blue heron nest in tall pine
                        trees all along our lakes and even the bald eagle can be seen. In the colder
                        months sea gulls visit our area lakes in high numbers and feed on plentiful
                        bait fish in the local water as well as from handouts from local residents.

                        Main towns in the county are Scottsboro, the county seat, Bridgeport, near the
                        Tennessee state line and Stevenson, between the two. There are numerous other
                        smaller towns. Sand Mountain, in Jackson County, is thickly populated, but has
                        no towns of any size.

                        There is an airport at Scottsboro that can handle large private jets and the
                        railroad runs along US 72 East to west and north from Stevenson. There is
                        considerable boat and barge traffic on the river and large marinas are located
                        near Scottsboro.

                        I hope this brief description helps those of you who have yet to visit our
                        area. I'm sure I have forgotten some things that others may want to add.

                        Richard
                      • Nbmachu@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 4 10:02 AM
                          Richard, thanks for the description of the Jackson County Alabama topography.
                          That was the most helpful piece of information that I've found about the
                          area. My grandfather, James Christopher Bryan was born in Bridgeport, Alabama in
                          1863. I hope to visit there later this year and perhaps find some
                          information about him and his family.
                          Nancy Bryan Machu

                        • joy0420@charter.net
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 4 12:14 PM
                            Thank you, Jewel. Is Trenton Al near Keith's Springs or near Trenton GA on the other side?

                            > From: "Jewel Casey" <jcasey@...>
                            > Date: 2004/05/04 Tue AM 03:09:28 GMT
                            > To: <jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com>
                            > Subject: Re: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Steel

                          • Mark Klan
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 4 3:08 PM

                            • vrgfdonna@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 4 5:23 PM
                                Nancy, you will really love it!
                                Velma

                              • Nbmachu@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 4 7:44 PM
                                  I'm looking forward to the trip. Would you think I should start in
                                  Bridgeport? Is there a library there?
                                  Nancy

                                • joy0420@charter.net
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 5 11:30 AM
                                    The library is very small, but the historic Bridgeport Depot has been reconfigured as a museum/genealogy location. The staff there, at least Mrs. Hambrick, has worked hard getting local info in order to make genealogy visits there easier.
                                    Stevenson Library also has a very small genealogy section. Your best bet, as far as libraries go, is the one in Scottsboro. The courthouse and square are also located there. The Scottsboro library has a fair section, with some microfilm, etc. Also in Scottsboro, off the square, is the Heritage Center. It's an old home/museum and they do have some info.
                                    Enjoy your trip!

                                  • ronney46@earthlink.net
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 5 9:38 PM