DEPT OF VETERAN AFFAIRS for military burials and government markers

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29 5:59 AM
      I thought those of you looking for military burials would be interested in
      this article found in Rootswebs online newsletter.

      VA Burials Database

      It's at:
      http://www.cem.va.gov/

      The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has set up an online database
      containing more than 3 million records that show where veterans have
      been buried in national cemeteries. The nationwide grave locator
      contains records of veterans and dependants buried in the VA's 120
      cemeteries since the Civil War. It also has records of burials in state
      veterans' cemeteries and burials in Arlington National Cemetery -- from
      1999 to present.

      The site displays the same information that visitors to national
      cemeteries find on kiosks or in written ledgers to locate gravesites:
      name, dates of birth and death, period of military service, branch of
      service and rank (if known). The information comes from the records of
      interment, which before 1994 were paper records that were kept at each
      cemetery. Some cemetery information (such as the identity of next of
      kin) is subject to the Privacy Act and as such is not included online.

      Ann B. Chambless