RE: [jacksongenealogy] Census Question

  • Jeanette
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 19, 2004
      Hello Helen, Your library should have a book "The Handy Book for
      Genealogists" by the Everton Publishers, Inc., Evertons address is:P O Box
      368, Logan, Utah 84321. Any books that Everton Publishes are wonderful for
      beginning genealogists and well-learned ones also. I have used their books
      for 34 years. Anyway, to order things from National Archives, which is where
      the military services from every war are stored you need their forms. My
      forms are now outdated as I have not ordered any war records from them for
      some time. Their address is: Textual Archives Services Division, National
      Archives and Records Admistration, 700 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC
      20408-0001. When you write to them, ask for the military forms called
      "National Archives Order for Copies of Military Service Records". They may
      send you a list of their forms with the numbers, or they may send you a
      packet of the forms. Also, your library, esp. if they have a small genealogy
      section will be able to help you with this. If they do not have the books
      you need in order to start this process, they can order them for you on
      interlibrary loan. Also, you can go in your computer to the US Government
      site and find listings of forms in there. The best of luck to you in your
      genealogy searches, I have enjoyed it for 34 years now. It is a wonderufl
      hobby and very self gratifying.
      Best Regards, Jeanette Henson McClure, CG, & VP of Iron Co Gene. Soc.

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 19, 2004
        If your ancestor was in the Union Army you will get more information on their
        service record than you will if he fought for the CSA. It is very
        unfortunate but true. It is great to have either.
        Chuck

      • Helen Bailey

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 19, 2004
            The link for online requesting of National Archives forms for military
            service and family history records is:
            http://www.archives.gov/research_room/obtain_copies/military_and_genealogy_o
            rder_forms.html

            If this link "wraps" in your email, you may have to copy/paste the link in
            pieces into your browser's address box before you press GO (so that the
            complete link shows in the box without any extra spaces).

            Mark

            Jeanette <jmcclur@...> wrote:
            > Hello Helen, Your library should have a book "The Handy Book for
            > Genealogists" by the Everton Publishers, Inc., Evertons address is:P O Box
            > 368, Logan, Utah 84321. Any books that Everton Publishes are wonderful for
            > beginning genealogists and well-learned ones also. I have used their books
            > for 34 years. Anyway, to order things from National Archives, which is where
            > the military services from every war are stored you need their forms. My
            > forms are now outdated as I have not ordered any war records from them for
            > some time. Their address is: Textual Archives Services Division, National
            > Archives and Records Admistration, 700 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC
            > 20408-0001. When you write to them, ask for the military forms called
            > "National Archives Order for Copies of Military Service Records". They may
            > send you a list of their forms with the numbers, or they may send you a
            > packet of the forms. Also, your library, esp. if they have a small genealogy
            > section will be able to help you with this. If they do not have the books
            > you need in order to start this process, they can order them for you on
            > interlibrary loan. Also, you can go in your computer to the US Government
            > site and find listings of forms in there. The best of luck to you in your
            > genealogy searches, I have enjoyed it for 34 years now. It is a wonderufl
            > hobby and very self gratifying. Best Regards, Jeanette Henson McClure, CG, &
            > VP of Iron Co Gene. Soc.
          • Helen Bailey
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 20, 2004
              Thanks Mark

              Helen
              Phil 4:4

              Jeanette <jmcclur@...> wrote:
              > Hello Helen, Your library should have a book "The Handy Book for
              > Genealogists" by the Everton Publishers, Inc., Evertons address is:P O Box
              > 368, Logan, Utah 84321. Any books that Everton Publishes are wonderful for
              > beginning genealogists and well-learned ones also. I have used their books
              > for 34 years. Anyway, to order things from National Archives, which is where
              > the military services from every war are stored you need their forms. My
              > forms are now outdated as I have not ordered any war records from them for
              > some time. Their address is: Textual Archives Services Division, National
              > Archives and Records Admistration, 700 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC
              > 20408-0001. When you write to them, ask for the military forms called
              > "National Archives Order for Copies of Military Service Records". They may
              > send you a list of their forms with the numbers, or they may send you a
              > packet of the forms. Also, your library, esp. if they have a small genealogy
              > section will be able to help you with this. If they do not have the books
              > you need in order to start this process, they can order them for you on
              > interlibrary loan. Also, you can go in your computer to the US Government
              > site and find listings of forms in there. The best of luck to you in your
              > genealogy searches, I have enjoyed it for 34 years now. It is a wonderufl
              > hobby and very self gratifying. Best Regards, Jeanette Henson McClure, CG, &
              > VP of Iron Co Gene. Soc.

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT