Census Question

  • Helen
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 17, 2004
      I have ancesters that are supposed to have lived in DeKalb County
      most all of their lives. I know this is Jackson County Group, but I
      find the people to be of so much more help here than the DeKalb
      County group which hasn't had a message posted since December. Maybe
      someone here can help me.

      I have been unable to find people in DeKalb County who where
      supposed to be there. I have found them (the ones that were alive)
      in 1850. Then they drop out of site until 1900. Then names are

      Charles D(avid) Williams
      Elizabeth C. (Slone) Williams
      They were married in 1859 in DeKalb County (have found their
      marriage record) and were supposed to live there most all of their
      life. Charles served in CSA during the Civil War and was supposed to
      have come back to DeKalb.

      They had one son in 1859 William B(ill we think) Williams. I have
      found where he married Alther (could be Althea) Wafford (probably
      Woffard) in DeKalb County in 1879. They had three children and he
      died in 1888.

      Charles, Elizabeth, and William B. Williams are all buried in Fyffe
      Cemetery Fyffe, DeKalb County Alabama.

      Charles is not married in 1850 and is living with his parents. I
      have been unable to find a census record of any of these people
      until 1900. I find Charles D. and Elizabeth in the household with
      William B. Williams children, their grandchildren.

      I also cannot find Jesse G. Williams (may be listed as J. G.
      Williams anywhere until 1900 either. He was Charles D. Williams half
      brother and he was supposed to have been living in DeKalb County
      also. He was not born until 1862 but doesn't appear on a Census
      until 1900 either. (His mother remarried and was living in Marshall
      or Dekalb County in 1870 the family was counted on both.)He was
      supposed to have left home when he was 8 (this would have been 1870)
      to live with another family named Isbell to be near his half brother
      Charles because he didn't like his new step father.

      Jesse G. Williams married Emma J. Hope in Grove Oak, Dekalb County
      Alabama in 1884 He then homsteaded land in Jackson County were he
      lived out his days.

      I can understand missing once but not a span of 30 years can anyone
      enlighten me on this matter? Any help would be appreciated.

      Helen
      Phil 4:4
    • Jeanette
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 18, 2004
        If you order his Civil War record, the entire thing, you may be pleasantly
        surprised at all the information in the packet. Jeanette.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Helen Bailey
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 18, 2004
          Ok so I haven't been doing this very long so tell me how to go about it? Pleeeease

          Helen
          Phil 4:4

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 19, 2004
            Hello Helen, Your library should have a book "The Handy Book for
            Genealogists" by the Everton Publishers, Inc., Evertons address is:P O Box
            368, Logan, Utah 84321. Any books that Everton Publishes are wonderful for
            beginning genealogists and well-learned ones also. I have used their books
            for 34 years. Anyway, to order things from National Archives, which is where
            the military services from every war are stored you need their forms. My
            forms are now outdated as I have not ordered any war records from them for
            some time. Their address is: Textual Archives Services Division, National
            Archives and Records Admistration, 700 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC
            20408-0001. When you write to them, ask for the military forms called
            "National Archives Order for Copies of Military Service Records". They may
            send you a list of their forms with the numbers, or they may send you a
            packet of the forms. Also, your library, esp. if they have a small genealogy
            section will be able to help you with this. If they do not have the books
            you need in order to start this process, they can order them for you on
            interlibrary loan. Also, you can go in your computer to the US Government
            site and find listings of forms in there. The best of luck to you in your
            genealogy searches, I have enjoyed it for 34 years now. It is a wonderufl
            hobby and very self gratifying.
            Best Regards, Jeanette Henson McClure, CG, & VP of Iron Co Gene. Soc.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 19, 2004
              If your ancestor was in the Union Army you will get more information on their
              service record than you will if he fought for the CSA. It is very
              unfortunate but true. It is great to have either.
              Chuck

            • Helen Bailey

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 19, 2004
                  The link for online requesting of National Archives forms for military
                  service and family history records is:
                  http://www.archives.gov/research_room/obtain_copies/military_and_genealogy_o
                  rder_forms.html

                  If this link "wraps" in your email, you may have to copy/paste the link in
                  pieces into your browser's address box before you press GO (so that the
                  complete link shows in the box without any extra spaces).

                  Mark

                  Jeanette <jmcclur@...> wrote:
                  > Hello Helen, Your library should have a book "The Handy Book for
                  > Genealogists" by the Everton Publishers, Inc., Evertons address is:P O Box
                  > 368, Logan, Utah 84321. Any books that Everton Publishes are wonderful for
                  > beginning genealogists and well-learned ones also. I have used their books
                  > for 34 years. Anyway, to order things from National Archives, which is where
                  > the military services from every war are stored you need their forms. My
                  > forms are now outdated as I have not ordered any war records from them for
                  > some time. Their address is: Textual Archives Services Division, National
                  > Archives and Records Admistration, 700 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC
                  > 20408-0001. When you write to them, ask for the military forms called
                  > "National Archives Order for Copies of Military Service Records". They may
                  > send you a list of their forms with the numbers, or they may send you a
                  > packet of the forms. Also, your library, esp. if they have a small genealogy
                  > section will be able to help you with this. If they do not have the books
                  > you need in order to start this process, they can order them for you on
                  > interlibrary loan. Also, you can go in your computer to the US Government
                  > site and find listings of forms in there. The best of luck to you in your
                  > genealogy searches, I have enjoyed it for 34 years now. It is a wonderufl
                  > hobby and very self gratifying. Best Regards, Jeanette Henson McClure, CG, &
                  > VP of Iron Co Gene. Soc.
                • Helen Bailey
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 20, 2004
                    Thanks Mark

                    Helen
                    Phil 4:4

                    Jeanette <jmcclur@...> wrote:
                    > Hello Helen, Your library should have a book "The Handy Book for
                    > Genealogists" by the Everton Publishers, Inc., Evertons address is:P O Box
                    > 368, Logan, Utah 84321. Any books that Everton Publishes are wonderful for
                    > beginning genealogists and well-learned ones also. I have used their books
                    > for 34 years. Anyway, to order things from National Archives, which is where
                    > the military services from every war are stored you need their forms. My
                    > forms are now outdated as I have not ordered any war records from them for
                    > some time. Their address is: Textual Archives Services Division, National
                    > Archives and Records Admistration, 700 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC
                    > 20408-0001. When you write to them, ask for the military forms called
                    > "National Archives Order for Copies of Military Service Records". They may
                    > send you a list of their forms with the numbers, or they may send you a
                    > packet of the forms. Also, your library, esp. if they have a small genealogy
                    > section will be able to help you with this. If they do not have the books
                    > you need in order to start this process, they can order them for you on
                    > interlibrary loan. Also, you can go in your computer to the US Government
                    > site and find listings of forms in there. The best of luck to you in your
                    > genealogy searches, I have enjoyed it for 34 years now. It is a wonderufl
                    > hobby and very self gratifying. Best Regards, Jeanette Henson McClure, CG, &
                    > VP of Iron Co Gene. Soc.

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT