Check out Alton, Illinois - Civil War Era - Confederate Prison

  • MaryWinn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2000
      Hello Jackson and Madison County Lists,

      I got the following from another list. It has names of 126 Alabama and 149
      Tennessee Confederate prisoners who died in the Confederate prison in Alton,
      IL.

      http://www.altonweb.com/history/civilwar/confed/index.html

      It says: Our Prison Records contain the following information;
      Information on Confederate Soldiers who died at the Alton Prison.
      Name, rank, company , state, date of capture, place of capture, date of
      death, cause of death, place of burial.
      Some records are incomplete and are subject to revision.

      Regards,
      Mary Winn Anderson
      Searching in Madison and Jackson Counties: Anderson, Bowman, Morris, Prince,
      Fanning, McFarlane (among others)