Re: Childress

  • Jim Childress
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2000
      Hi thanks for the message. I know Ann and there is no connection she could
      find between our line. She is an excellent researcher. Fred Childress worked
      with her when he started on the original work about Robert. I have copies of
      Fred and Mary, his sister. In the application for bounty land after he
      served in the 1835 Creek War States under oath he was born in Tennessee in
      1803. I have copies of Census records from one of my visits to the
      Guntersville, Alabama library. It is the county seat of Marshall which was
      formed from part of Jackson County in 1836. In his estate settlement his
      wife, Delilah (last name unknown) states they were married in Jackson County
      in 1830. At that time the county seat was in Bellfonte and the records were
      mostly destroyed in the Civil war. It is beautiful county. I lived there for
      20 years before movining to New Orleans. I have most of Roberts descendants
      to present day and all of my great-great grandfather Rufus children. I along
      with several cousins still are trying to find new information daily. I have
      Ann's e-mail address, thanks. Good hunting to you and the other Childress
      cousins. I have several geds I have downloaded and Marshal counties census
      transcripts 1850-60-70 and 80 and will do lookups for our cousins. I retired
      5 years ago but still enjoy digging and helping other researchers. Hello to
      my friends in Scottsboro.

      Joseph Childress wrote:

      > Hi
      > The head of the No Alabama Historical Society there in Scottsville
      > AL is a lady named Ann Chambless. Ann is a cousin my line and Gary/Mark
      > Childress's line. Our folks came out of VA into NC and then TN. Quite
      > a few moved down the the N. AL area. You may find a connection in N. AL
      > and Ann would be the one to contact.
      > If you want to contact Ann directly you should be able to fine it on
      > Genforum as she has posted many messages re Childresses..
      > Jay Childress
    • quietholler.dana
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 24, 2012
        Hello- I have Susanna Ann Childress b. 1790 in NC, wife of James Bynum, on my tree. I have a John Childress as her father, but I can't remember where I got that.

        I was just looking at the 1830 census for Jackson County. I noticed that there are a John and a Joel Childress listed (they lived near each other). Does anyone know if these men were relations of Susanna Bynum? She would have been about 40 in 1830. Joel listed himself as being 40-50 y.o. and John was 50-60 y.o. Thanks for any help with this- Dana
      • quietholler.dana
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 25, 2012
          Thanks for finding that message- it answers my first question. Since I've already started this thread, I'm going to ask one more question re: Susanna Childress Bynum's possible father.

          Although I don't remember where I found this man (probably from Ancestry), I have a man named John Childress as Susanna's father. This man was born in North Carolina, fought in the Revolutionary War (as a teenager), applied for a Rev War pension, and died in Illinois. Does anyone have a clue if this is correct? There seems to be very little information on Susanna Childress. Thanks.