Re: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Lusk's from Jackson County

  • Joy Smith
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 16, 2004
      It only gets better!

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Amanda Schoolfield" <aschoolfield@...>
      To: <jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 4:16 PM
      Subject: Re: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Lusk's from Jackson County

> [...]
      > because of his choices and had to leave the state!
      >
      > I read on another message board that a lot of the
      > Vidette Cavalry (of which my family was in) were
      > Confederate deserters who were allowed to return home
      > if they signed up.
      >
      > I am just fascinated by these stories. Thanks again.
      >
      > Amanda
      >

      > --- joy0420@... wrote:
      > > Hi Amanda,
      > > I'm not researching your family lines, just jumping
      > > into the conversation.
      > > You asked why would they serve Union from this area,
      > > esp if they were Confederate. The most likely answer
      > > is they were captured, imprisoned, possibly
      > > tortured, definitely starved and very tired and
      > > scared of the fighting and dying. They had an
      > > option, if captured, to take the Oath of Allegiance
      > > and fight for the Union, risking death, or be sent
      > > to rot in a Federal prison.
      > > My Bouldin GGfather joined the Confederacey, and
      > > served in several very bad battles. He was captured
      > > at Chatt, taken to prison, etc. He had a wife and 2
      > > babies at home, so you know he wanted his best
      > > chance possible to return to them. He opted to stay
      > > out of prison and take his chances fighting.
      > > Unfortunately, he died of smallpox at Nashville just
      > > shy of the end of the war. Then again, there were 5
      > > Warren men from Lincoln Co TN (also my family) who
      > > fought for the Confederacy. All were captured, 2
      > > died in Morton prison, 1 escaped, and 2 survived
      > > prison to come home. It was a giant crapshot either
      > > way.
      > > Hope that helps you to understand, these were just
      > > honest hard-working men, who had homes and families.
      > > They wanted the best chance of returning home alive.
      > > JOY
      > > >
      > > > From: Amanda Schoolfield <aschoolfield@...>
      > > > Date: 2004/03/09 Tue PM 05:29:28 GMT
      > > > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      > > > Subject: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Lusk's from
      > > Jackson County
      > > >
      > > > Regina,
      > > >
      > > > Thank you SO much for all the info. You are a
      > > doll!
      > > > I especially found the Cival War info interesting.
      > > > had a suspicion that he served in the Confederate
      > > army
      > > > but couldn't find a record of it. See I also have
      > > > info showing that he served in the Union army.
      > > They
      > > > even made him sign a statement saying that he had
      > > > never served in the Confederate army so he could
      > > > receive his pension. I am so curious as to why
      > > > someone from this area would switch allegiance and
      > > > serve in the Union army. His father and brother
      > > also
      > > > did.
      > > >
      > > > I have done a lot of research in the past but am
      > > just
      > > > starting to really get into it again. I was
      > > wondering
      > > > if I should subscribe to a Genealogy service and
      > > if so
      > > > which one. Do you have any recommendations?

    • aschoolfield

          I am new to the list and am trying to research my family from Jackson
          county. I am no longer there so it makes the search all the more difficult.
          I am specifically looking at the Lusk family. I have traced them pretty far
          back but would really like to know more. My gg-grandfather was Francis
          Marion Lusk. I know he married an Cherokee Indian by the name of Eliza
          Evans, but I haven't been able to find anything on her at all.

          I also know Francis Marion, his father William Oliver, and at least one
          brother all fought for the Union in the Tennesses Vidette Cavalry. I would
          love to find some info (or insight) about why they joined this regiment when
          their family was fighting for the Confederacy.

          I hope I haven't rambled to much. Thanks so much. I love the list.

          Amanda Schoolfield

          http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/FvNolB/TM
        • Regina
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 8, 2004
            Spouse 1: F. M. Lusk
            Spouse 2: Eliza Evans
            Marriage Date: 04 Dec 1879
            Marriage Place: Jackson
            Performed By: Minister of the Gospel
            Surety/Perf. Name: H. H. Bridges
            OSPage: 428

            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 8, 2004
              Name: Eliza Bell Evans
              Given Name: Eliza Bell
              Surname: Evans
              Sex: F
              Birth: 4 Mar 1853 in Jackson, AL
              Death: 28 Jan 1933 in Larkinsville, Jackson, AL -- Box Cove Cemetery
              Reference Number: 600
              Change Date: 14 Jul 2001 at 11:45

              Marriage 1 Frances Marion Lusk b: 15 Dec 1849 in AL
              Married: 4 Dec 1879 in Jackson Co., AL 1
              Change Date: 26 Oct 2003
              Children
              Florence Lusk
              Zennia Lusk
              Benjamin Franklin Lusk b: 14 Feb 1884 in AL
              Cora Lusk b: 14 Feb 1884
              Frances Mae Lusk b: 1885
              Ireland Lusk b: 4 Jul 1896
              Grover C. Lusk b: 9 Nov 1898
              Oscar Lusk b: Bef 1923

              Sources:
              Abbrev: Jackson County Marriages 1871-1881
              Title: Jackson County Marriages 1871-1881

              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 8, 2004
                ID: I5702
                Name: Frances Marion LUSK
                Sex: M
                Birth: 13 DEC 1849 in Alabama

                Father: William Oliver LUSK b: OCT 1822 in Tennessee
[...]

              • Amanda Schoolfield
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 9, 2004
                  Regina,

                  Thank you SO much for all the info. You are a doll!
                  I especially found the Cival War info interesting. I

                  http://search.yahoo.com
                • joy0420@charter.net
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 9, 2004

                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 9, 2004

                      --- joy0420@... wrote:
> [...]
                      > > had a suspicion that he served in the Confederate
                      > army
                      > > but couldn't find a record of it. See I also have
                      > > info showing that he served in the Union army.
                      > They
                      > > even made him sign a statement saying that he had
                      > > never served in the Confederate army so he could
                      > > receive his pension. I am so curious as to why
                      > > someone from this area would switch allegiance and
                      > > serve in the Union army. His father and brother
                      > also
                      > > did.
                      > >
                      > > I have done a lot of research in the past but am
                      > just
                      > > starting to really get into it again. I was
                      > wondering
                      > > if I should subscribe to a Genealogy service and
                      > if so
                      > > which one. Do you have any recommendations?

                      === message truncated ===

                      http://search.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 9, 2004
                        Amanda

                        Bunch of info census transcriptions here, images direct to you. Images best view when saved to My Pictures in Windows XP and view in Preview.

                        From Lusk Family Tree see at www.rootsweb.com
                        William Oliver Lusk
                        b. 01 Oct 1822 Franklin Co. TN
                        d. 12 Aug 1901 Douglas Pemiscot Co. MO
                        Father John Lusk b. abt 1769 NC
                        Mother Elizabeth Blackburn
                        M. 1 Nancy Jane Berry b. 1826 AL
                        M. before 1846 AL
                        M. 2 Nancy Jane Montgomery b. 26 Oct 1846 Greene Co. MO
                        M. 22 May 1883 Springfield Greene Co. MO

                        William Lusk
                        Pvt/Sgt enlisted age 42 28 Aug 1863 Union Army
                        b. Franklin Co. TN
                        Captured 26 Sep 1863 at Hunts Mill
                        Confined Richmond VA Hospital 18 Nov 1863 Annapolis MD
                        1st Ind. Vidette Cavalry Co. A. of Jackson Co. AL

                        1900 US Census Pct 32 Linrock PO Jackson Co. AL
                        Frances Lusk Head Dec 1845 54 mar20yrs AL TN AL Farmer
                        Liza Wife Mar 1865 35 M20yrs 12 children 9 living AL AL AL
                        Benjamin Son Feb 1885 15 all children born AL
                        Francis Dau Oct 1885
                        Arling J. Son Jul 1887 13
                        Bena Dau Jul 1889 11
                        Carry dau Jan 1891 9
                        Grover C. Son 1892 7
                        Florence Dau Oct 1894 5
                        Oscar Son Oct 1898 1

                        1880 Us Census Woodville Jackson Co. AL
                        F. M. Lusk Head 29 Farmer AL TN AL
                        E. Wife 22 AL AL AL
                        M.S. 3 Daughter AL AL AL

                        1910 US Census Pct 32 Limrock Jackson Co. AL
                        Marion Lusk Head 69 mar30 years AL TN AL Farmer
                        Eliza Wife 45 mar30yrs 12 children 9 living AL AL MS
                        James A. Son 22
                        Grover Son 16
                        Florence Dau 14
                        Oscar Son 11

                        More to come.

                        Clay Gullatt Mount Airy NC

                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 9, 2004
                          1860 US Census Paint Rock Jackson Co. AL
                          William Lusk 35 Farmer TN
                          Nancy 34 AL
                          J. D. 14 male AL
                          Wm 12 male AL
                          Francis 10 female AL Says female on census but this is him
                          Samuel 8 male AL
                          George 5 male AL
                          Chasey 2 female AL
                          Chasey Berry 77 female NC I would assume this is Nancy's mother

                        • vrgfdonna@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 9, 2004
                            In a message dated 3/9/2004 6:20:25 PM Central Standard Time,
                            blackcloud27030@... writes:
                            1860 US Census Paint Rock Jackson Co. AL
                            William Lusk 35 Farmer TN
                            Nancy 34 AL
                            J. D. 14 male AL
                            Wm 12 male AL
                            Francis 10 female AL Says female on census but this is him
                            Samuel 8 male AL
                            George 5 male AL
                            Chasey 2 female AL
                            Chasey Berry 77 female NC I would assume this is Nancy's mother

                            Does anyone know if this Chasey BERRY,(presumably Nancy's mother), could be
                            the Chastity _____ < (BALL?) who married William BERRY (ca 1784-1856)?
                            Velma

                          • fletcher hudson
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 10, 2004
                              Very interesting--
                              I am trying to complete some research of my deceased mother on her
                              g-g-grand father Lewis Morgan from Jackson County who fought with the
                              Morgan Raiders. He was captured in the Ohio raid and was in prison in
                              Fort Delaware. He was released twice and I found records indicating that
                              a Lewis Morgan twice "volunteered" for the Maryland army on the union
                              side and twice deserted. The family story is that at the end of the war
                              he was murdered in Jackson County upon returning home, his grave was
                              desecrated and he was finally buried in an unmarked grave. His wife,
                              Laura (Britt) and family moved to Tennessee. How can I find info on this
                              story or his linage

                              --- joy0420@... wrote:
> [...]
                              > > had a suspicion that he served in the Confederate
                              > army
                              > > but couldn't find a record of it. See I also have
                              > > info showing that he served in the Union army.
                              > They
                              > > even made him sign a statement saying that he had
                              > > never served in the Confederate army so he could
                              > > receive his pension. I am so curious as to why
                              > > someone from this area would switch allegiance and
                              > > serve in the Union army. His father and brother
                              > also
                              > > did.
                              > >
                              > > I have done a lot of research in the past but am
                              > just
                              > > starting to really get into it again. I was
                              > wondering
                              > > if I should subscribe to a Genealogy service and
                              > if so
                              > > which one. Do you have any recommendations?

                              === message truncated ===

                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 10, 2004
                                There may be old newspapers at the Scottsboro Library on microfilm. Not sure.

                                > From: "fletcher hudson" <flhudson@...>
                                > Date: 2004/03/10 Wed PM 04:51:22 GMT
                                > To: <jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com>
                                > Subject: RE: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Lusk's from Jackson County

                              • Amanda Schoolfield
                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 10, 2004
                                  Fletcher,

                                  Try checking out this website:

                                  <<http://www.angelfire.com/al2/1sttnalvidcav/>>

                                  I have been emailing a guy who is so informative about
                                  this and he recommended the book, "Hard Times - The
                                  Civil War In Huntsville and North Alabama", by Charles
                                  Rice. In this book he says there was a large group of
                                  Union sympathists in the hill country of N. Alabama
                                  (including Jackson County). He goes on to give
                                  reasons why they supported the North. It's very
                                  interesting stuff.

                                  Amanda

                                  === message truncated ===

                                  http://search.yahoo.com
                                • danny evans
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 21, 2004
                                    Hello

                                    I'm kin to this lusk family throw my Grand mother Sallie Adkins Evans her mother was Rose Lusk. I'm researching the Evans family but I don't remember any Eliza bell Evans but let me check.

                                    aschoolfield <aschoolfield@...> wrote:
                                    Hello,

                                    I am new to the list and am trying to research my family from Jackson
                                    county. I am no longer there so it makes the search all the more
                                    difficult. I am specifically looking at the Lusk family. I have
                                    traced them pretty far back but would really like to know more. My
                                    gg-grandfather was Francis Marion Lusk. I know he married an
                                    Cherokee Indian by the name of Eliza Evans, but I haven't been able
                                    to find anything on her at all.

                                    I also know Francis Marion, his father William Oliver, and at least
                                    one brother all fought for the Union in the Tennesses Vidette
                                    Cavalry. I would love to find some info (or insight) about why they
                                    joined this regiment when their family was fighting for the
                                    Confederacy.

                                    I hope I haven't rambled to much. Thanks so much. I love the list.

                                    Amanda Schoolfield

                                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                                    Click Here

                                    Do you Yahoo!?

                                  • Amanda Schoolfield
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 27, 2004
                                      Danny,

                                      Thanks so much. It is really neat to talk to people
                                      who are related.

                                      Amanda

                                      --- danny evans <dsjeus@...> wrote:
                                      > Hello
                                      >
                                      > I'm kin to this lusk family throw my Grand mother
                                      > Sallie Adkins Evans her mother was Rose Lusk. I'm
                                      > researching the Evans family but I don't remember
                                      > any Eliza bell Evans but let me check.
                                      >
                                      > aschoolfield <aschoolfield@...> wrote:
                                      > Hello,
                                      >
                                      > I am new to the list and am trying to research my
                                      > family from Jackson
                                      > county. I am no longer there so it makes the search
                                      > all the more
                                      > difficult. I am specifically looking at the Lusk
                                      > family. I have
                                      > traced them pretty far back but would really like to
                                      > know more. My
                                      > gg-grandfather was Francis Marion Lusk. I know he
                                      > married an
                                      > Cherokee Indian by the name of Eliza Evans, but I
                                      > haven't been able
                                      > to find anything on her at all.
                                      >
                                      > I also know Francis Marion, his father William
                                      > Oliver, and at least
                                      > one brother all fought for the Union in the
                                      > Tennesses Vidette
                                      > Cavalry. I would love to find some info (or
                                      > insight) about why they
                                      > joined this regiment when their family was fighting
                                      > for the
                                      > Confederacy.
                                      >
                                      > I hope I haven't rambled to much. Thanks so much.
                                      > I love the list.
                                      >
                                      > Amanda Schoolfield
                                      >

                                      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                                      > Click Here

                                      > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                                      >

                                      > Do you Yahoo!?
                                      > Yahoo! Finance Tax Center - File online. File on
                                      > time.

                                      > removed]

                                      http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                                    • Amanda Schoolfield
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Apr 9, 2004
                                        You guys helped me so much before, I was wondering if
                                        I could ask your help again. I can't seem to find
                                        anything on the parents/siblings of William McDonald
                                        "Doc" Stewart (1/17/1850 - 3/12/1920). He was married
                                        in 1873 to Mildred Melissa Houk. They had 12 children
                                        of which my great-grandfather was one. He was born,
                                        married, and died in Jackson County and was buried in
                                        Peter's Cove Cemetery.

                                        That's all the info I have on him. Any help would be
                                        appreciated.

                                        Thanks,
                                        Amanda

                                      • DrKirby25@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Apr 10, 2004
                                          I have some info on Melissa but, nothing on him except that he was married to
                                          her. My wife, Faye Houk, was of that Houk bunch that was related to Melissa.
                                          Jim M. Kirby

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Apr 10, 2004
                                            This Looks like them. More info is probably on the Marriage Cert.

                                            Alabama Marriages Jackson County

                                            W. M. Stewert married Millie Hawk 10 Oct 1872
                                            Surety/Perf. Name: John Bulter
                                            OSPage 144

                                            Clay Gullatt

                                          • Amanda Schoolfield
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Apr 10, 2004
                                              Thanks so much, Jim. I have a lot of info on Melissa
                                              and her family thanks to Kenneth Wayne Houk. I bet
                                              you know him too. He did extensive research on the
                                              Houk family. But I can't seem to find anything on the
                                              Stewart family.

                                              Amanda

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Apr 10, 2004
                                                We knew Kenneth Wayne very well he lived up the street from us in Anniston.
                                                The Houk site has practically died since Rusty died.
                                                Jim

                                              • Amanda Schoolfield
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Apr 10, 2004
                                                  Kenneth Wayne was wonderful to share all his research
                                                  with me. Did you know his grandmother Lily? She was
                                                  my great-grandmother's sister. I remember visiting
                                                  her when I was a little girl. I'm not familiar with
                                                  Rusty though. How does he fit into the family tree?

                                                  Amanda

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Apr 10, 2004
                                                    I will send you what I have on the Houks in Rich Text format. It will be
                                                    easily read.
                                                    Jim

                                                  • DrKirby25@aol.com
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Apr 10, 2004
                                                      Descendants of Jacob Houk in Rich Text format see attachment.
                                                      Jim M Kirby

                                                    • Amanda Schoolfield
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Apr 12, 2004
                                                        Thanks so much, Jim, but the attatchment didn't come
                                                        through. Maybe you can't send attatchments to the
                                                        board, I'm not sure--it said all non-text portions had
                                                        been deleted. I would really love to see what you
                                                        have. Thanks for trying.

                                                        Amanda

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Apr 12, 2004
                                                          Thanks so much, Clay. That sure looks like them. Is
                                                          the 1850 census the only one that you can get to
                                                          without subscribing?

                                                          Amanda

                                                        • DrKirbyWW2@aol.com
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Apr 12, 2004
                                                            Amanda I remember now when they were talking about Viruses. Richard Matthews
                                                            said all downloads are stripped from Yahoo's Email. Perhaps if you will send
                                                            me a direct email address it would do it.
                                                            Mine is :DrKirby25@...
                                                            Jim

                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Apr 12, 2004
                                                              Amanda

                                                              Yes, the 1850 is the only free one. The only other census I have found them on is the 1880 and 1910 do you have those?